[comp.sys.amiga.games] Spruance Mission???

jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joe Murphy) (08/09/90)

I saw a game in the store the other day, simulated commanding
a Spruance class guided missle destroyer in the Persian Gulf
(how timely).

I am not sure of the exact name, anyway anybody familair with it?
Is is a good simulator?
--
Joe Murphy
National Institutes of Health

Internet: jmurphy@helix.nih.gov, Bitnet: hal%nihdcrt

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (08/21/90)

In article <320@nih-csl.nih.gov> jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joe Murphy) writes:

> I saw a game in the store the other day, simulated commanding
> a Spruance class guided missle destroyer in the Persian Gulf
> (how timely).

The simulator is very realistic. It comes with a precise maritime map of
the Persian Gulf, and requires that you abide by it lest you want to run
aground. I have very often.

You start out from a port, looking out of the bridge to a 3D view. Pretty
amazing, as you can turn your head around to get different perspective, but
at see, there is not much to see. It is useful only for maneuvering out of the
port, and locating the blinking buoys.

You also have a radar screen, useful for recognizing the outlay of the port,
and a threats screen, useful for monitoring the approaches of the ennemy.

Conclusion? The game is very realistic, and allows you to run aground too
easely. You have to plot and monitor your course very carefully, since there
is no "computer pilot" to help you in any way. It is rather easy to lose
yourself on the map, but then that's how it is in real life. The ennemy F-14
fighters are very capable of blasting you away, with a probability of hit
of about 50%, thus preventing you to complete your mission.

It's up to you to decide whether the realism of the game excites you, or
whether it frustrates you until you quit.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327