[comp.sys.amiga.games] Populous Data Disk

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (08/18/90)

        What does the Populous Promised Lands data disk add to the program? Is
it worth getting?
     Steve

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!steves
ARPA: crash!pnet01!steves@nosc.mil
INET: steves@pnet01.cts.com

In article <3983@crash.cts.com> steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:

>        What does the Populous Promised Lands data disk add to the program? Is
>it worth getting?
>     Steve

Hard to tell; the new terrain types are eye-catching and fun, but
(at least the copy I got) was a prime example of poor software
quality control.  Text strings showed up in the wrong boxes, so
other text was absent, and the game seemed to crash every third
level.  My hardware is pretty vanilla, just a 2000 plus the
Commodore memory expansion card porked up with an extra 8 megabytes,
and a modem, always off when I played the game, and I was booting
from the store bought copy.

Can others confirm or deny the problems?

My _impression_ was that you were still playing the same 500 levels,
just with spiffy new graphics, but I didn't fight with it long enough
to know that for sure.

Kent, the man from xanth.

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (08/20/90)

>In article <1990Aug19.075611.8526@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <3983@crash.cts.com> steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:
>>
>>        What does the Populous Promised Lands data disk add to the program? Is
>>it worth getting?
>>     Steve

   [Bad Promised Land problems deleted]

>Can others confirm or deny the problems?

   I've had none of these problems, on my A2000, it was pretty smooth sailing.
No crashes, no text overrun, just fine and slick.

>My _impression_ was that you were still playing the same 500 levels,
>just with spiffy new graphics, but I didn't fight with it long enough
>to know that for sure.

   No, the lands are _much_ harder!

   The new graphics are real fun, in particular the Bit-planes (!!)

   I think it's worth getting.

                                             -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (08/20/90)

	RE The Populous Data Disks

	I noticed that knights weren't allowed at all- even if you went into
Custom mode and allowed knights, they'd get reset back to prohibited.  The
game SEEMED more difficult, but that might just have been because you couldn't
use knights.

	I didn't have any problems with it, unless that ^^^ wasn't according
to the intent of the designers...the little bit of instructions that came with
it didn't say.

	In any case, I can't play Populous any more 'cause of my 030, so
it's all rather irrelevant to me...

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com	|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Kryme, T-U-R-T-L-E Power!

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug19.075611.8526@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Hard to tell; the new terrain types are eye-catching and fun, but
>(at least the copy I got) was a prime example of poor software
>quality control.  Text strings showed up in the wrong boxes, so
>other text was absent, and the game seemed to crash every third
>level.

There are apparent problems with the way the data overlaying is
handled.  My experience was that it was only annoying, in that it
demonstrated a careless attitude.  I didn't find any of the glitches to
interfere with the game.  (They were mostly noticeable when loading a
level, and during the 'congratulations' screen between games.)

>My _impression_ was that you were still playing the same 500 levels,
>just with spiffy new graphics, but I didn't fight with it long enough
>to know that for sure.

No, some of the parameters changed as well.  The two changes which I am
aware of are:

(1) in 'silly-land' a couple of the building sizes are 'unstable'.  If
left alone they die out.  You have to make sure either to grow your
buildings beyond the critical sizes, or to inhibit them so they don't
get there.  (Sorry, I don't remember offhand which they were.  Easy to
determine experimentally.  According to Bullfrog, this WAS intentional,
and is not a bug as many people seem to think.)

(2) in 'lego-land' you LOSE power if one of your walkers kills an enemy
walker in combat.  For best effect, you have to arrange for the enemy
to die of natural causes.

There may be others.
--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (08/22/90)

writes:
> >        What does the Populous Promised Lands data disk add to the program?
> My _impression_ was that you were still playing the same 500 levels,
> just with spiffy new graphics, but I didn't fight with it long enough
> to know that for sure.

I can't tell for bugs in it (I have the st version, which is quite bug-free)
but the computer tactics are much enhanced.
In fact, the opponent is more like a "real" person with the data disk:
It tries to attack more your leader, it seems to better "guess" what you are
planning, (and it seems to make more "human" mistakes, but this I am not
sure...)

To my taste, the new graphics are the bad part, they are smart, but a bit
confusing to the eyes. Buy it if you liked the first version, to my opinion
it is worth it. If you weren't hooked on populous, then I guess there is not
enough things news in the new version to justify its buy.

(good thing: the codes are the same, so that you can begin to fight directly
at high levels...)

--
Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (08/22/90)

In article <26cf7b70-85.2comp.sys.amiga.games-1@tronsbox.xei.com>,
dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:
> 	RE The Populous Data Disks
> 	I noticed that knights weren't allowed at all

Its a bug. knights works in the ST version.