[comp.sys.amiga.games] Warhead

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/01/90)

I am an Elite junkie, having played the game on the C-64 and now on the Amiga.

The first I've ever heard of Warhead was in your message.  Could you please
describe the game in a little more detail?  How is it "in the same style as
Elite but has much better graphics"?  What is the game play like?  Do you trade
(as you do in Elite)?  Are there bad guys (and good guys---mooohahaha) to blast
out of the heavens?

Enquiring minds want to know! :-)

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Meech:  Just say
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  NO!

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/02/90)

 The game Warhead has not been commercially released
in the US but has in Europe and I recommend it to
the Europeans that liked Elite. Warhead is a game in
the same style as Elite but has much better
graphics. I never played Elite but my friends that
did liked Warhead more than Elite.
  One of those friends is currently stuck on the
mission to observe the anomolous gravity fields in
the CH-010 system. He says that every time that he
enters the system, regardless of velocity, the black
hole in the system just sucks him in. Having given
up on the game myself, I ask you if any of you know
how to solve this mission. Anyone?

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/03/90)

Great!  Thanks for the description of Warhead.

Next question:  where did you buy it (the answer may have been in one of your
past messages but I've forgotten).

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Meech:  Just say
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  NO!

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/03/90)

  I'll try to describe it, but I did not get very
far in the game so it will be short.
  Movement is done with a mouse and the ship may
move in any of the spatial directions that are
desired.  The only bad thing is that, as a beginner,
you must learn how to keep your ship from rotating
, thusly making it hard to see where you are going.
  The plot: An alien race discovered the Earth (set
in Present) and did not like what it saw.
Consequently, they nuked the HELL out of us and only
a few were left. Fortuneately, they left without
waiting to see if we were exterminated (which we
were not). Somehow we got ahold of their tecnology
concerning spacecraft and their ability to "jump".
We then started to prepare.....
  Anyway, the game starts off with the hero (YOU) on
Solbase beginning training missions to prepare for
the return of the NASTIES (not their real name).
  These training mission concern the use of the
drive systems, weapons systems, and the
recon drones.
  There was not much trading that I saw but there
was protection of Earth trade ships from the
Nasties. Yeah, you do get to BLOW 'EM AWAY!
  The graphics are cool, fluid, and bright. The
action is FAST, which makes one thankful that there
is a liberal save option.
  Again, can anyone get past the Ch-010 mission?
This is a cool game and I recommend it too those
that like Elite.

crash@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Larry Gordon) (06/07/90)

In article <5607@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) writes:

> The game Warhead has not been commercially released
>in the US but has in Europe and I recommend it to
>the Europeans that liked Elite. Warhead is a game in
>the same style as Elite but has much better
>graphics. I never played Elite but my friends that
>did liked Warhead more than Elite.
>  One of those friends is currently stuck on the
>mission to observe the anomolous gravity fields in
>the CH-010 system. He says that every time that he
>enters the system, regardless of velocity, the black
>hole in the system just sucks him in. Having given
>up on the game myself, I ask you if any of you know
>how to solve this mission. Anyone?

Well, I (ahem) have a (cough cough) copy of the game.  I really liked it alot.
I played it nonstop for about a week.  It disappointed me when I finished it,
though.  Kinda made me scream for a sequel.  If you want the answer to the
black hole mission, you must set your jump coordinated to Solbase, in the
SOLG2V system. JUST going to the system is not enough.  The boss get's pissed if
you make too many hyperjumps.  I solved the game, by the way.  If you need any
more hints, just e-mail me.
Crash@maple.circa.ufl.edu
Larry Gordon
'No generalization is worth a damn, including this one'

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (06/12/90)

> 6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <5786@hub.ucsb.edu>
>
> Person: Mark Rigby
>

>   Warhead is now available for general consumption
> in the US. GoAmigo carries it. So, all Elite fans,
> BUY THIS GAME!

And (he asks, perhaps foolishly) what is the number of GoAmigo--if indeed it is
a mail-order software retailer....

--
     //    ///         CIS: 73200,3117         |  Clyde Wells for
   \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP  |  Prime Minister!

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/13/90)

  Warhead is now available for general consumption
in the US. GoAmigo carries it. So, all Elite fans,
BUY THIS GAME!

ssheng@bob.berkeley.edu (Sam Sheng) (08/03/90)

Can anybody out there in net land give me some help in how to nuke the
Berzerker in Warhead?  It's a really well done space-flight simulator,
but killing this damn thing is beyond me.  I've tried pulling the
Capt.Kirk routing and suiciding my ship into it (ejecting just before
impact, of course), fired every missile and mine possible at it,
and the thing STILL blows up the earth.  Grrrr.....

Thanks a lot!
Sam Sheng
(ssheng@zion.berkeley.edu)

uad1020@dircon.uucp (08/22/90)

I have asked this question before a month or so back in one of the games
conferences - but have had no feed back - so lets hope this gets me somewhere.

I am stuck on Warhead for the Amiga - which is brilliant space game ..
. like Elite with no trading and all missions. Anyway - I am stuck on
the mission where you mneet the beserker ... can anyone help *please*

Yours seethingly

Ian
--
Ian Cottee
uad1020@dircon.UUCP

changed@panisse.berkeley.edu (Chang... Ed Chang.) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug22.074819.20253@dircon.uucp> uad1020@dircon.uucp () writes:

>I am stuck on Warhead for the Amiga - which is brilliant space game ..
>. like Elite with no trading and all missions. Anyway - I am stuck on
>the mission where you mneet the beserker ... can anyone help *please*

Have you hit the Berserker enough to annoy him?  (He'll tell you if you
do.)  Once you do, he'll chase you all the way back to Solbase, where
you have to go somewhere to get rid of him.  Hint: think about how massive
he is...

Ed

ssheng@glacier.berkeley.edu (Sam Sheng) (08/23/90)

For everybody who has asked for spoilers about this:
How to get past the berserker in Warhead:

Well, the wrong thing to do is try to suicide your ship into it,
a la Captain Kirk in "The Doomsday Machine".  Instead, ever consider
WHY they just gave you proximity mines? =)

You need to hit it with 4 proximity mines.  That's not the easiest thing
to do, since they need to be really close to the berserker to go off.  Try
launching them when you are around 600m or so away from it.

After that, it's not interested in the Earth.  It's interested in YOU.
I'm sure that you can think of SOMEPLACE that you can lure the thing
to..... =)

Actually, I was REALLY disappointed with how the game turns out.  With
the exception of this berserker, the game gets monotonous (this was the
only real plot twist to it).  Incredible graphics, though (those navigation
tacticals are RAD).

Hope this helps!
Sam Sheng
(ssheng@zion.berkeley.edu)

uad1020@dircon.uucp (08/24/90)

In article <27171@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> changed@panisse.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Chang... Ed Chang.) writes:
>In article <1990Aug22.074819.20253@dircon.uucp> uad1020@dircon.uucp () writes:
>
>>I am stuck on Warhead for the Amiga - which is brilliant space game ..
>>. like Elite with no trading and all missions. Anyway - I am stuck on
>>the mission where you mneet the beserker ... can anyone help *please*
>
>Have you hit the Berserker enough to annoy him?  (He'll tell you if you
>do.)  Once you do, he'll chase you all the way back to Solbase, where
>you have to go somewhere to get rid of him.  Hint: think about how massive
>he is...
>
>Ed

Now this is interesting because from other feedback I have been getting
there seems to be a number of different options ...

        1       Hit him stacks and then dodge until solbase tells
                you to come back.
        2       Just run until solbase tells you to come back
        3       Hit him until he tells you to push off

Have I got these correct and are they all valid ways of doing it? Hmmm
- perhaps I ought to just get on with the game!

Ian
--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Ian Cottee ----- zobbo@cix.uucp                             //

changed@khayam.berkeley.edu (Chang... Ed Chang.) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug24.074817.14375@dircon.uucp> uad1020@dircon.uucp writes:

>Now this is interesting because from other feedback I have been getting
>there seems to be a number of different options ...

>        1       Hit him stacks and then dodge until solbase tells
>                you to come back.
>        2       Just run until solbase tells you to come back

I think that those methods will just prolong your agony, as Solbase
sends you out again and again, as the Berserker gets closer and closer
to Earth (eventually reaching the Earth, and blowing it up)

>        3       Hit him until he tells you to push off

This is the correct method.  I believe you have to hit it with all 4
proximity mines to get a response from it.  Solbase will then tell
you to come back, but from then on, the Berserker will follow you
wherever you go.  Eventually Solbase will leave it up to you to shake
him off your tail.  Then it's time to illustrate to the Berserker
why it may be better to have a higher thrust/mass ratio...

Ed