[comp.sys.amiga.games] Games not seen on Amiga

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/18/90)

There was one arcade game, way back in the early 80's I was totally
addicted to and pumped quarter after quarter into....  Went by the
name of "Tempest."  Anyone remember it?  It was a 3-D vector-graphics
oriented game with 50 or so boards.  You controlled your shooter which
you could move around your end of the board with a knob that rotated
all 360 degrees with no stop (some boards were circular so you could
go around and around as you wished.)  You shot at little swirls and
tankers and flippers  that came towards your shooter from the other end
of the 3-D board, and when you shot them all you rocketed down the
board (avoiding hte "spikes") into space, and then landed on the next
board.

Loved that game.  Anyone know why we haven't seen it on Amiga (or any
other home computer)?  I can see that it took too much CPU for a C-64
or Apple II, but Amiga could do it.  I also thought maybe the special
knob would make it difficult to implement, but I see two solutions:

1) Make it keyboard controlled.  Not a nice thought for you mouse-
jockeys, but it should work fine to use the left and right cursors
for clockwise and counter-clockwise movement of the shooter.

2) Include a special controller with the software.  This could also
serve as the copy-protection;  pirates couldn't play the game without
the special controller.   It wouldn't have to be a complex device,
so the product price wouldn't be increased much.

Thoughts?

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

rb4572@leah.Albany.Edu (Ron Bangel) (08/18/90)

I used to have Tempest (although I think it's spelled with a second "t" on
the end, I can't be sure) for my old Apple ][+ (64K - hah!) and wouldn't mind
seeing it for the Amiga, either.  Actually, I think my friend used to have it
for his C-64, but I can't be sure.  I know he had Gyruss, a game that I'd
kill to get on my Amiga 2000HD... :-)

--
<=-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-=>
{ Ron Bangel Computing Services Center State University of New York at Albany }

a217@mindlink.UUCP (Vincent Lim) (08/19/90)

> In article <90229.223453JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT)
> writes:
> [Looking for "Tempest" or a clone]

There is a shareware game called Descender written by Scott G. Thede which is a
clone of Tempest.  It's doesn't play as well as the original but then you don't
have to pump any quarters into it.  The rotating knob is replaced by the
left/right movement of the joystick.

>[Does "Tempest" exist for 8-bit machines?]

I do remember seeing a Tempest clone on the Apple ][ many, many years ago.
Those 8-bitters could do quite amazing things if you pushed hard enough.
--
  //\migaTrek: The First Generation, Captain of CBM-A1000 "Advantage"
\X/incent Lim, Librarian for Pacific Northwest Amiga Association

skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) (08/20/90)

In article <90229.223453JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>There was one arcade game, way back in the early 80's I was totally
>addicted to and pumped quarter after quarter into....  Went by the
>name of "Tempest."  Anyone remember it?  It was a 3-D vector-graphics
>oriented game with 50 or so boards.  You controlled your shooter which
>you could move around your end of the board with a knob that rotated 360
>degrees.
>
>Loved that game.  Anyone know why we haven't seen it on Amiga?

    Here here!!  Tempest was a great game, just a few days ago I was wondering
the same thing myself.

>knob would make it difficult to implement, but I see two solutions:
>1) Make it keyboard controlled.  Not a nice thought...

    That's for sure...

>2) Include a special controller with the software.  This could also
>serve as the copy-protection.

     A DONGEL?!!  DEATH TO DONGELS!!!

What's wrong with just using the mouse or a paddel?  So, what's the story?
Is there a version of Tempest for the Amiga?

                                 George L. Skank
                                 Rebel Without a Clue

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (08/21/90)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

> There was one arcade game, way back in the early 80's I was totally
> addicted to and pumped quarter after quarter into....  Went by the
> name of "Tempest."  Anyone remember it?  It was a 3-D vector-graphics
> Loved that game.  Anyone know why we haven't seen it on Amiga (or any
> other home computer)?  I can see that it took too much CPU for a C-64

Tempest was out for the 64 quite a while ago. With the current trend of
converting old arcade games to souped-up computer games, I'm sure it will
appear eventually.

What I really want to see is a decent implementation of Missle Command.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

|There was one arcade game, way back in the early 80's I was totally
|addicted to and pumped quarter after quarter into....  Went by the
|name of "Tempest."  Anyone remember it?  It was a 3-D vector-graphics

|Loved that game.  Anyone know why we haven't seen it on Amiga (or any
|other home computer)?  I can see that it took too much CPU for a C-64
|or Apple II, but Amiga could do it.  I also thought maybe the special
|knob would make it difficult to implement, but I see two solutions:

Gee I had a similar game called Live Wire for my old Atari 800XL computer.
It was pretty nice and you could use the joystick or a paddle to move
your man around the perimeter and the fire button to shoot. Live Wire
was an almost total ripoff, er, clone of Tempest. The only real difference
was that the play fields were the letters L I V E W I R E.
It was even PD, I typed it in (assembly) from a magazine (WHEW!!)

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

will@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (William Chou) (08/24/90)

In article <5c18N2w162w@zooid.UUCP> dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>> [Wanted : Tempest Conversion]
>
>What I really want to see is a decent implementation of Missle Command.

	Missile Command is already available for the Amiga.  Two yrs ago,
  a friend told me that it ran too fast on his stock A1000, so he had to
  multitask programs in the background with high priority to slow the game
  down.  Sort of a game cheat with mutitasking.  I wonder how many times
  you have to run Clock to slow down an A3000.  Hmmmm.

	I want to see Joust!  Maybe with 4 players.

    // "Only Amigas    Be Excellent to Yourself,        And most of all...
\\ //     Make It   And Be Excellent to Eachother.  Be Excellent to Your Amiga!
 \X/     Possible"          - Bill & Ted             will@cunixf.columbia.edu

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (08/27/90)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
> addicted to and pumped quarter after quarter into....  Went by the
> name of "Tempest."  Anyone remember it?  It was a 3-D vector-graphics

 I've seen a Tempest conversion for the ST available via import from
Europe so there possibly might be an Amiga version around the corner.

Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu