[comp.sys.amiga.games] DUNGEON MASTER WEAPONS- part II

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) (08/22/90)

a friend of mine says that the sabre is a better weapon than:
vorpal blade
delta
mace
mace of order
ie all weapons he's found  up to and including the rat level

is this view shared by all you DM graduates??

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (08/22/90)

In article <3305@gara.une.oz.au> scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD)
writes:
> a friend of mine says that the sabre is a better weapon than:

 All weapons work well in certain conditions. A sabre is able to do lots
of attacks in a short amount of time. I found it works best against slow
creatures.

> vorpal blade

 Again, the vorpal blade serves its purpose as being the only physical
weapon that will work against non-material beings (ever wonder what the
Dispell option meant?)

> delta
 Can't remember what Delta was, a sword?

> mace, mace of order
I never found the any of the maces to be very effective, nor the flail.
> ie all weapons he's found  up to and including the rat level
 He'll find some more neat ones.  Isn't HardCleave the axe coming up?
Personally, I often carry a couple of weapons (one always being a
vorpal blade) and switch when the situation suites.

Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

lclausen@lckaos.UUCP (Lars R. Clausen) (08/22/90)

>In article <3305@gara.une.oz.au> scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) writes:
>a friend of mine says that the sabre is a better weapon than:
>vorpal blade
>delta
>mace
>mace of order
>ie all weapons he's found  up to and including the rat level
>
>is this view shared by all you DM graduates??

No, I find that the sword, falchion and especially the axe are better than
all those.

--
+-----------------------------------------------------+---------------+
| Lars R. Clausen                (Fido: 2:230/22.34)  |    \S\        |

" Seaman) (08/23/90)

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
< All weapons work well in certain conditions. A sabre is able to do lots
< of attacks in a short amount of time. I found it works best against slow
< creatures.

The main reason there are different weapons is due to the lack of strength
of the characters during the early stages of the game.  The time required
to 'recover' after swinging a weapon is based on the combination of the
weapon used and the strength of the character.  For example, a neophyte
Fighter could do very little damage with a Delta, and would require a LONG
time before he/she could swing it again.  However, a character approaching
master status would be able to handle it much more easily, and do a
considerable amount of damage.

The best approach I've found is to find a weapon that is just beyond your
capabilities, and use it until it becomes 'easy'.  Then pass it on, and
find a more challenging weapon.

Of course, many weapons have magical capabilites, and may be required to
defeat certain creatures (the use of the Vorpal Blade to 'dispell' green
specters and fire elementals is an example).

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___          qatul batlh.
cseaman@sequent <or>              |  //__--\O/--__\\        qatul Huch.

halo@cognos.UUCP (Hal O'Connell) (08/28/90)

In article <3305@gara.une.oz.au> scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) writes:
>a friend of mine says that the sabre is a better weapon than:
>vorpal blade

This weapon is only useful against non-corporeal creatures and elementals as
far as I can tell. It works far better than the sabre on ghosts and on
several other creatures on the lower levels (ie. the sabre is usefless
against them). BTW, there are two vorpal blades for you to find.

>delta

I found very little difference between delta and the sabre, but I didn't use
either for very long.

>mace
>mace of order

This weapon increases a personal characteristic (strength, if I recall
correctly).

--
Hal O'Connell    COGNOS Incorporated     UUCP: uunet!lsuc!nrcaer!cognos!halo
                                          or   uunet!watmath!sce!cognos!halo

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (08/29/90)

In article <lclausen.0275@lckaos.UUCP> lclausen@lckaos.UUCP (Lars R. Clausen) writes:
>>In article <3305@gara.une.oz.au> scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) writes:
>>a friend of mine says that the sabre is a better weapon than:
>>vorpal blade
>
>No, I find that the sword, falchion and especially the axe are better than
>all those.

The vorpal blade is the only thing which has any noticeable effect on
elementals (non-material beings).  However, it is pretty useless
against any other sort of monster.  It's worth keeping one around, but
not as your only weapon.

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug29.110841.17866@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:

>The vorpal blade is the only thing which has any noticeable effect on
>elementals (non-material beings).  However, it is pretty useless
>against any other sort of monster.  It's worth keeping one around, but
>not as your only weapon.

The vorpal blade is, if memory serves, one of those objects that
boots the manna capacity of its wielder.  The amount of boost is
trivial - a mere two points or so, but it makes quite a difference
to characters with no magic capability at all.  On our second start
in the game, we had Stamm Bladecaster in our party, who starts out
as an impressive fighter (the reason we picked him), but is totally
clueless as a magician.  Outfitted with the vorpal blade, though,
he could manage a syllable of the basic light spell every so often.
By the end of the game, he had become a level 3 master magician
and priest.

Brian