[comp.sys.amiga.games] Defeating Lord Chaos

" Seaman) (08/28/90)

OK, this is gonna hurt a bit (we're talkin' mega-spoilers here)...

a481@mindlink.UUCP (J.D. Frazer) writes:
< The Firestaff has two functions that must be used to trap Lord Chaos. I
< believe they're called FLUX and FUSE. Every time you cast a FLUX, a yellow
< magical cage appears in the space in front of you. Chaos really hates
< staying in these, so he'll move out of one if he can.
<
< The functions of the Firestaff used to 'defeat' Lord Chaos are Fluxcage and
< Fuse.
<
< FUSE is what you have to do to trap Chaos in a FLUX. Problem is, he'll back
< out of a FLUX everytime you FUSE him. Real pain in the butt.
<
< There are two methods I can think of to trap him. Cast a whole pile of
< FLUXes, maybe 3 deep by 3 wide with Chaos in the middle. You can step into
< a FLUX with no problem. FUSE the FLUX that Chaos is in and he's
< trapped....game over. This is how I did it. Seems that a plethora of FLUXes
< right next to each other will result in the FUSE spell fusing the whole lot
< of 'em. I may be wrong.
<
< The only other method is to trap him into one of those little corners on
< the 14th level that have only one way out. I haven't done this, and it
< appears very difficult to do.
<
< Just go crazy with the FLUX spell. Your firestaff seems to have infinite
< energy so cast like crazy, even at random. Remember that the FLUXes have a
< life of about twenty (?) seconds.
<
< Good Luck.

The thing to remember is that you are not actually trying to kill Chaos.
If you read (and correctly interpret) the story that comes with the game,
you will understand that the purpose of the game is to restore balance to
the universe.  Lord Chaos is in fact the chaotic half of your master.
Order, the other half, is waiting outside the dungeon in case you get the
idea to try leaving.

Your job is to 'fuse' these two halves together again.  This is both simple
and difficult.  What you must do is build a fluxcage, and lure Chaos (you
CANNOT trap him) into it.  Once inside, invoking Fuse from the Firestaff
will restore him to his former self, and win the game.  A fluxcage must
consist of (at least) four flux walls, arranged as follows:

                                 ~~~~~~
                                 ~~~~~~
                                 ~~~~~~
                                 ~~~~~~
                           ~~~~~~      ~~~~~~
                           ~~~~~~ Open ~~~~~~
                           ~~~~~~Square~~~~~~
                           ~~~~~~      ~~~~~~
                                 ~~~~~~
                                 ~~~~~~
                                 ~~~~~~
                                 ~~~~~~

Building this cage is easy.  Luring Chaos onto the open square in the
center before the walls disappear is the difficult part.  Adding more flux
walls won't hurt, but it won't help, either.  It simply adds confusion (is
he in a fluxcage here?  How about over there?  Perhaps there?).

Hope this helps.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
cseaman@sequent <or>              |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!

judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JUDD STEPHEN L) (08/28/90)

In article <41388@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "I'm Outta Here, Man!" Seaman) writes:

>The thing to remember is that you are not actually trying to kill Chaos.
>If you read (and correctly interpret) the story that comes with the game,
>you will understand that the purpose of the game is to restore balance to
>the universe.  Lord Chaos is in fact the chaotic half of your master.
>Order, the other half, is waiting outside the dungeon in case you get the
>idea to try leaving.
('you' is not you, Chris, in the following paragraph)

YES!!!  RTFM!!!  Use your brain in this game!!!  I can't BELIEVE some of the
spoiler requests I've been seeing for Dungeon Master, also all the game cheats
available.  If you want a hcak and slash game go play Bard's Tale I & II.
The entire appeal of Dungeon Master is that it really makes you think, and
reason things out.  Why in the world would you just want to be told what
to do?  Give it a week or two, and then ask for a hint.  But a spoiler?
That's for Bard's Tale or something else, not DM.

Besides, for all you wondering about Lord Chaos, ask yourselves: how many
useless things have you found in the game, things without any use?  None.  So,
what do you suppose that 'flux' and 'fuse' could possibly mean, hmmm?  Probably
has some use.  Also, what do you suppose those scrolls in the library were
talking about when they told you to 'fluxcage' somebody and then fuse it?
Finally, the firestaff is obviously very powerful, fuse and flux must also be.
Once you think about it, the solution is fairly obvious.  That one only took
a few days to figure out, as opposed to some puzzles which easily took a
week or two, (and weren't very obvious at all, until you solved them).

Anyway, on to more meaningful stuff...

>Your job is to 'fuse' these two halves together again.  This is both simple
>and difficult.  What you must do is build a fluxcage, and lure Chaos (you
>CANNOT trap him) into it.  Once inside, invoking Fuse from the Firestaff
>will restore him to his former self, and win the game.  A fluxcage must
>consist of (at least) four flux walls, arranged as follows:

I don't think so - The way I zapped him was to get him into a corner, like
such:
____________
       ####&|___
     #######         (I don't remember the whole map)

Where # is a fluxcage, and & is Mr. Chaos himself.  I first built the
bottom row of fluxcages, then kept trying to cast a fluxcage on him, which
he would move out of, naturally.  Once he was in the corner, I fluxcaged him,
and then fused it.  Certainly not made of four fluxcages.  Are you sure
you didn't put a cage on him before fusing it?

>Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See

					-Steve
__
judd@tramp.colorado.edu       //     "DAMN good coffee!  And HOT!"
!ncar!boulder!tramp!judd    \X/                -Ken Alvin

wulfgar@shadow.UUCP (Wulfgar (Tribe of the Elk)) (08/28/90)

>YES!!!  RTFM!!!  Use your brain in this game!!!  I can't BELIEVE some of the
>spoiler requests I've been seeing for Dungeon Master, also all the game cheats

I agree, but maybe you need to consider that some (not all) of these people
may be using their a copy of their friend's disk and don't have the FM. ;-)
We, of course, should leap to our feet to help such people.
--

>Besides, for all you wondering about Lord Chaos, ask yourselves: how many
>useless things have you found in the game, things without any use?  None.  So,

You want a list then?
Ekkhard Cross		Gem of Ages		The Hellion
Dragonspit		Calista			Crown of Nerra
All of the Gems*	30 piles of ash**	The Darkness Spell
The Invisibility Spell

* Except a green one
* an approximation

Those are the ones that spring to mind.  It could be argued that the darkness
spell makes it harder for monsters to see you, but it sure makes it a bit
tougher to navigate the dungeon.

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
|FROM: Wulfgar of the Tribe of the Elk, Lord of Cryshal Tirith, Ruler of    |
|      Icewind Dale, Wielder of Aegis-Fang, Sysop of Times of Shadow        |
|  AT: wybbs!shadow!wulfgar                                                 |
|ORGN: Times of Shadow BBS                                                  |
|      (A JW Productions Production)                                        |
|DISC: The opinions expressed in this message ARE necessarily those of my   |
|      organization, as I own the organization.                             |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (08/28/90)

In article <25282@boulder.Colorado.EDU> judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JUDD
STEPHEN L) writes:
>  first built the
> bottom row of fluxcages, then kept trying to cast a fluxcage on him,
which
> he would move out of, naturally.  Once he was in the corner, I fluxcaged
him,
> and then fused it.

  Walls will work as fluxcages (or is it vice versa?). Either way, you
have to trap him on four sides. Actually casting a fluxcage on top of
him and fusing will not work.  Personally, I find the 'lure-him-into
-a-corner" works VERY well.

 Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

" Seaman) (08/29/90)

judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JUDD STEPHEN L) writes:
< cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "I'm Outta Here, Man!" Seaman) writes:
< >Your job is to 'fuse' these two halves together again.  This is both simple
< >and difficult.  What you must do is build a fluxcage, and lure Chaos (you
< >CANNOT trap him) into it.  Once inside, invoking Fuse from the Firestaff
< >will restore him to his former self, and win the game.  A fluxcage must
< >consist of (at least) four flux walls, arranged as follows:
<
< I don't think so - The way I zapped him was to get him into a corner, like
< such:
< ____________
<        ####&|___
<      #######         (I don't remember the whole map)
<
< Where # is a fluxcage, and & is Mr. Chaos himself.  I first built the
< bottom row of fluxcages, then kept trying to cast a fluxcage on him, which
< he would move out of, naturally.  Once he was in the corner, I fluxcaged him,
< and then fused it.  Certainly not made of four fluxcages.  Are you sure
< you didn't put a cage on him before fusing it?

You may be right about using a corner.  I've never tried it that way.  My
point was that you don't need to trap Chaos _ON_ a 'fluxed' square.  You only
need to surround him by them (perhaps two flux squares and two wall squares
count as surrounding).  You aren't fusing the fluxcage, you are fusing
Chaos himself.  At least this is the way that worked for me (four times :-) ).

Happy fluxing!

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
cseaman@sequent <or>              |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!
...!uunet!sequent!cseaman         |  \vvvvvv/           Coming Soon
                                  |   \____/      to a newsgroup near you!

mshaver@pyrthoth (Matthew Shaver) (08/29/90)

SPOILER

Even easier....  you can chase Lord Chaos into one of the alcoves using
war cries.  The trick then is that you (or maybe more particularly the
firestaff) and Lord Chaos must be in a flux cage square when you do the
FUSE.

judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JUDD STEPHEN L) (08/30/90)

In article <wulfgar.0113@shadow.UUCP> wulfgar@shadow.UUCP (Wulfgar (Tribe of the Elk)) writes:
>>Besides, for all you wondering about Lord Chaos, ask yourselves: how many
>>useless things have you found in the game, things without any use?  None.  So,
>
>You want a list then?
>Ekkhard Cross		Gem of Ages		The Hellion
>Dragonspit		Calista			Crown of Nerra
>All of the Gems*	30 piles of ash**	The Darkness Spell
>The Invisibility Spell

Sigh... I wasn't thinking very well when I made that statement.
Are they truely useless, though?  I never found a use for half the stuff that
I was wearing, but I figured that they all had some purpose in the game.

BTW- The ash had a purpose - not only was it scenery for the Dragon's lair,
but it hid several items.

wulfgar@shadow.UUCP (Wulfgar (Tribe of the Elk)) (09/03/90)

>>You want a list then?
>>Ekkhard Cross		Gem of Ages		The Hellion
>>Dragonspit		Calista			Crown of Nerra
>>All of the Gems*	30 piles of ash**	The Darkness Spell
>>The Invisibility Spell
>>

>Actually, they do have uses. Each of the necklaces and crowns did something
>different for the wearer. Look carefully at your stats before and after putting
>them on. I don't remember specifics right now, I finished the game a year ago.
>I can look up my notes and see what the specifics are.
>
>I do agree however that the Darkness and Invisibility spells are relatively
>useless, as well as the gems.

Nope, they don't.  Unless they require archmaster characters to wield them.
Dragonspit: Oooh!!  This one you can do some stupid attack with.  Although
I admit I never actually tried it on anybody the attack was something dumb
like swing.  The other things (necklaces and crowns) are USELESS!  If I am
missing something let me know, but I don't think so.  I will take another
look at each of them.

BTW: Has anyone found these items:
Powertowers		Dexhelm			Teo Wand
The Conduit

The hint book (and such a valuable one it is too.. ;-) mentions all of them
but I didn't find them.

--
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (09/03/90)

In article <25405@boulder.Colorado.EDU> judd@tramp.Colorado.EDU.Colorado.EDU (Steve Judd) writes:
>In article <wulfgar.0113@shadow.UUCP> wulfgar@shadow.UUCP (Wulfgar (Tribe of the Elk)) writes:
>>Besides, for all you wondering about Lord Chaos, ask yourselves: how many
>>useless things have you found in the game, things without any use?  None.  So,
>
>You want a list then?
>Ekkhard Cross		Gem of Ages		The Hellion
>Dragonspit		Calista			Crown of Nerra
>All of the Gems*	30 piles of ash**	The Darkness Spell
>The Invisibility Spell

Actually, they do have uses. Each of the necklaces and crowns did something
different for the wearer. Look carefully at your stats before and after putting
them on. I don't remember specifics right now, I finished the game a year ago.
I can look up my notes and see what the specifics are.

I do agree however that the Darkness and Invisibility spells are relatively
useless, as well as the gems.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) (09/05/90)

> BTW: Has anyone found these items:
> Powertowers		Dexhelm			Teo Wand
> The Conduit

i have the conduit and the teowand, although i got them so far back i can't
remember where.

ps. I like th icewind dale trilogy too.

crash@maple.circa.ufl.edu (Laurence Gordon) (09/05/90)

.>
>I don't think so - The way I zapped him was to get him into a corner, like
>such:
>____________
>       ####&|___
>     #######         (I don't remember the whole map)

	Gee, have you been playing nethack lately?  I like the use of a & for
Chaos (nethack for a demon) :)  Don't mind me, just wasting bandwidth as usual.
As an aside, is DM II worth the money?  Is it a completely new game or just a
scenario disk.

Crash@maple.circa.ufl.edu
Laurence Gordon
'No generalization is worth a damn, including this one' - Will Rogers

wulfgar@shadow.UUCP (Wulfgar (Tribe of the Elk)) (09/05/90)

>In article <49126@brunix.UUCP> mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
> Dragonspit could also shoot really powerful fireballs.  Unfortunately
>they would run out after awhile.
Not in my version!

> Again not true. Many of the crowns and necklaces do things such as
                  ^^^^
>increase abilities, stats and mana. The best way to find out is to make
>note of what your stats are before puting on necklace/crown and then
>with it on.  Usually something changes.
Many but NOT the ones I listed.  I HAVE checked.  Is it possible I have an
older version?  When did you get yours.  I got it about six months after it
came out.

--
 +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
 |FROM: Wulfgar of the Tribe of the Elk, Lord of Cryshal Tirith, Ruler of    |
 |      Icewind Dale, Wielder of Aegis-Fang, Sysop of Times of Shadow        |
 |  AT: wybbs!shadow!wulfgar                                                 |
 |ORGN: Times of Shadow BBS                                                  |
 |      (A JW Productions Production)                                        |
 |DISC: The opinions expressed in this message ARE necessarily those of my   |
 |      organization, as I own the organization.  Flame at /dev/null.        |
 +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (09/06/90)

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (09/08/90)

writes:
> > Dragonspit could also shoot really powerful fireballs.  Unfortunately
> >they would run out after awhile.
> Not in my version

 Hmmm.... Well you have me stumped about the DragonSpit. I have the ST
version of DM (its also version 1.0 which supposedly has a few bugs in
it) and DragonSpit let invoke quite a few fireballs.

> Many but NOT the ones I listed.  I HAVE checked.  Is it possible I have
an
> older version?  When did you get yours.  I got it about six months after
it
> came out.

 Which ones did you list again? (e-mail me if you want, my brain is
getting old :-)  Don't forget that there are many hidden things in
DM.  Some objects may interact with the game via hidden means so keep
that in mind. I should have all the objects in the game so I'll see if
they do anything for me if you'd like.

 Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu