[comp.sys.amiga.games] Buy This Game!

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) writes:

>I've uploaded a playable demo of Turrican to abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov
>(128.155.23.64). Filename is turricandemo.lzh, and it's in /incoming/amiga,
>although it will likely be moved to the commercial subdirectory.
>
>It allows you to play level one, with no exit, of course. This demo came
>from Innerprise Software, who is distributing the game.
>
>I've already ordered my copy..........

Well, after all the bragging on Turrican here, I finally got past my
apprehension of hand-eye coordination games and went and bought a copy.

Somehow, from the descriptions, I was expecting a "view from above" maze
run, rather than a "view from the side" shoot-em-up that takes a bit of
a paradigm shift to recognise as, in fact, a maze.

I don't see what all the flaming about "You don't understand how to play?
You must have _pirated_ the game!!!! Eat red death, scum!" stuff posted
earlier was about.  I have the (English) documentation, and I'd love to
have someone translate it into _comprehensible_ English for me.  What in
the world did "gyroscope" mean to the author?  Not what it does to me,
for sure.

The game was kind of unimpressive looking:  a box, no shrink rap, no liner,
just a disk and a disk sized pamphlet for documentation rattling around
loose inside.

Ah, but when you boot it!  Great graphics, music made out of voices munged
just enough to be incomprehensible and drive you _nuts_ while you're
trying to play, non-stop action, nasties everywhere including mines that
grow underfoot if you stand still too long, great sound effects, really
neat environment to explore, maddening joystick control (_why_ doesn't
jumping autorepeat while I've got the stick up???) that teaches a whole
new set of ways to die by accident, monsters that let you know "by accident"
isn't the only way to die, and just generally keeps my interest every step
of the way.

An autofire or rapid fire joystick is a necessity; I'm using a handleless,
flat pad Atari joystick one of my kid's friends left behind, and _roasting_
the little knee biters and bloodsuckers that show up at every turn.

Great game!   Kudos to the authors, thanks to all the net.folks who
recommended it!  Remember:  "Shoot, or you die!"

Kent, the man from xanth.
At my present rate of progress (still on level 1): "Shoot _and_ you die!"