[comp.sys.amiga.games] Pirates!

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (09/18/90)

Has anyone out there played the Amiga version of Pirates! ?

I used to have the C-64 version of the game, and I enjoyed it alot. I am
thinking of getting the Amiga version, and I have a couple of questions...

1 - Can it run from a Hard Disk?

2 - Does it have any "on-disk" copy protection, or it the same look in
    the book ('When does the Silver train arrive in Fuddsville in 1999?')
    copy protection that the C-64 version had?

3 - The only thing I didn't really like about the C-64 version was the
    sword fighting. There was a real "time lag" between when you made
    a move, and when the guy actually did it on the screen. How well is
    it implemented in the Amiga version?

Answers to these questions, and any other impressions or comments about the
game woukd be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Dave Lowrey
--
"I don't call it charity, |  These be my words, not my employer's!
 I call it Responsibility |Dave Lowrey - Amdahl Corp. - Houston, TX

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/19/90)

>Has anyone out there played the Amiga version of Pirates! ?
>
>1 - Can it run from a Hard Disk?

 IT is supposubly Hard Drive installable, I use a RAM drive so i
never seen it done, COmes with an INSTALL prog tho..

Problem: When ya Save a game it says INSTERE SAVED GAME DISK IN DF0:
it asks thie ALL the time, Even if ya have the Disk IN DF0:
thus ya pop the disk out then back in...
this i DON't think the silly thing will SAVE to a Hard Drive...
It's a REALLY annoying Problem.

 Manual Based Copy protection USED ONLY TO BEGIN A NEW GAME.
ie. ya can continue saved games with out the manual.
just when ya make a New Dude ya need the manual..

>3 - The only thing I didn't really like about the C-64 version was the
>    sword fighting. There was a real "time lag" between when you made
>    a move, and when the guy actually did it on the screen. How well is
>    it implemented in the Amiga version?

 Combat was supposed to be that way!!!  It's not an ARCADE combat
it's a Tatcial combat, ie ya Gotta see what the Enemy does then
ys tell ya guy what to do... We Like it.... It's easy, if the Dude is slow
then use a Rapier. (we allways doo.)

 Nice Port of the 64 version, Some improvements.
Culd still be better tho.....
.

--
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York

This Space For Rent....

moore@bombe.enet.dec.com (W. Bruce Moore) (09/19/90)

--
In article <a7.=02Shc98i01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave
Lowrey) writes:

|>Has anyone out there played the Amiga version of Pirates! ?
|>
|>I used to have the C-64 version of the game, and I enjoyed it alot. I am
|>thinking of getting the Amiga version, and I have a couple of questions...
|>
|>1 - Can it run from a Hard Disk?
	Yes, it installs on hard disk just fine, an  installation procedure is
	included on the diskette.

|>2 - Does it have any "on-disk" copy protection, or it the same look in
|>    the book ('When does the Silver train arrive in Fuddsville in 1999?')
|>    copy protection that the C-64 version had?
	No on-disk protection, the same lookup scheme.

|>3 - The only thing I didn't really like about the C-64 version was the
|>    sword fighting. There was a real "time lag" between when you made
|>    a move, and when the guy actually did it on the screen. How well is
|>    it implemented in the Amiga version?
	Pretty much the same as on the C-64 version.

|>Answers to these questions, and any other impressions or comments about the
|>game woukd be appreciated.
	I like this game a lot!  The graphics and sounds are quite good.

moore@bombe.enet.dec.com (W. Bruce Moore) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep18.204730.19266@ecn.purdue.edu>, yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu
(Willis F York) writes:

|>Problem: When ya Save a game it says INSTERE SAVED GAME DISK IN DF0:
|>it asks thie ALL the time, Even if ya have the Disk IN DF0:
|>thus ya pop the disk out then back in...
|>this i DON't think the silly thing will SAVE to a Hard Drive...
|>It's a REALLY annoying Problem.

Must be something funny about your installation.  I run Pirates! from my hard
drive,
and have saved many games there without a hitch.
--
    W. Bruce Moore
    Moore@bombe.pa.dec.com