[comp.sys.amiga.games] EbonStar Gravity ??

IO92257@MAINE.BITNET (09/18/90)

I was once playing the game EbonStar from MicroIllusions, and after
hitting a few keys, found my ship being sucked into
the black hole....but I never found out which keys did it,
and it wasn't in the manual....does anyone know which keys
to press to get gravity in Ebonstar?
Thanks!

griffith@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Michael Griffith) (09/19/90)

IO92257@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>I was once playing the game EbonStar from MicroIllusions, and after
>hitting a few keys, found my ship being sucked into
>the black hole....but I never found out which keys did it,
>and it wasn't in the manual....does anyone know which keys
>to press to get gravity in Ebonstar?
>Thanks!

???

I thought the point of EbonStar was to avoid the gravity of the Black Hole?
On later levels there is also an additional amount of gravity which affects
you no matter where you are. I don't think that starts until around level 30
or so. I think I made it to level 70 once. The game has a lot of nifty features
and I was still seeing new stuff at such high levels. Unfortunately, when
playing with friends things usually deteriorate into small wars pretty
quickly. ;) I would have to guess that your problem was more likely to be not
hitting the right keys to avoid getting swallowed by the EbonStar.

| Michael Griffith                     | If I had an opinion it certainly   |
| griffith@eecs.ee.pdx.edu             | wouldn't be the same one as        |
| ...!tektronix!psueea!eecs!griffith   | Portland State University anyways. |

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (09/20/90)

griffith@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Michael Griffith) writes:

>IO92257@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>>I was once playing the game EbonStar from MicroIllusions, and after
>>hitting a few keys, found my ship being sucked into
>>the black hole....but I never found out which keys did it,
>>and it wasn't in the manual....does anyone know which keys
>>to press to get gravity in Ebonstar?

>I thought the point of EbonStar was to avoid the gravity of the Black Hole?
>On later levels there is also an additional amount of gravity which affects
>you no matter where you are. I don't think that starts until around level 30
>or so.
>I would have to guess that your problem was more likely to be not
>hitting the right keys to avoid getting swallowed by the EbonStar.

No, he's right--hitting some key (I don't know which but I triggered it
once) triggers the heavy gravity earlier.  On its own it seems to some at
some random level, always earlier than 30 for us.  Maybe it's connected
to the high score or the number of ebonstar kills?

It's NOT in the manual.  Has anyone figured it out?

Kenneth Herron