[comp.sys.amiga.games] Amiga game machine

jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu (Jim Sather) (09/12/90)

I was considering buying an amiga for a game machine, but never having
used an amiga, I don't know what machine to get.  Can a 500 play all
existing games?  How many bit's deep is the graphics on a 500, does it
have 4096 on screen colors?  I remember reading that an amiga will
output NTSC for use with television and thus I could save the monitor
cost.  Is this true?  Does the 500 do this?   As you can see I am totally
in the dark so any suggestions on which configurations are best and
cheapest for gaming would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jim
jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu

GALETTI@uservx.afwl.af.mil (09/12/90)

In article <7383@milton.u.washington.edu>, jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu (Jim Sather) writes:
> I was considering buying an amiga for a game machine, but never having
> used an amiga, I don't know what machine to get.  Can a 500 play all
> existing games?  How many bit's deep is the graphics on a 500, does it
> have 4096 on screen colors?  I remember reading that an amiga will
> output NTSC for use with television and thus I could save the monitor
> cost.  Is this true?  Does the 500 do this?   As you can see I am totally
> in the dark so any suggestions on which configurations are best and
> cheapest for gaming would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jim
> jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu

IMHO, the Amiga is the BEST game machine available for an affordable price.

I don't know of any games the 500 can't play.  The type of machine (500, 2000,
etc.) really isn't the issue.  However, a significant number of games require
1 Meg of RAM which is not standard on a 500, meaning you might have to buy more
RAM to play a few games in particular.  Some games include two versions, one for
an Amiga with 1 Meg or more of RAM, and a "watered down" version for 512K of
RAM.

The 500's graphics, like all Amigas to date, allows for up to six bitplanes
of graphics.  Yes, you can display all 4096 colors on the screen simultaneously
using the Hold-And-Modify (HAM) mode.  There are some limitations, though.

The Amiga 500 has a composite video output, but it's in black and white.  What
this means is that if you have a VCR or an RF modulator, you can plug the
composite output into your VCR and your VCR to your TV to display black &
white (actually gray) pictures from your Amiga.  Another option, if you can't
live without color (I know I can't!) is to buy an RF modulator from Commodore
which allows you to use your color TV as a color monitor.  The resolution isn't
as good as a real monitor because of the limitations of NTSC video, but the
color is there, and I think the RF modulator only costs around $25. (Don't
quote me.)

A friend of mine has an RF modulator with his A500 which he got with the
computer as part of a package deal.  For gaming, I'd recommend the same
package.  I think he bought his A500 at Software etc.

Hope this helps!

-Ralph

Disclaimer:  The only thing I claim is that I don't claim anything.  Oops!

GALETTI@uservx.afwl.af.mil (09/12/90)

> In article <7383@milton.u.washington.edu>, jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu (Jim Sather) writes:
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Jim
>> jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu
>
> I don't know of any games the 500 can't play.  The type of machine (500, 2000,

Before I get any flames, what I mean here is that I don't know of any AMIGA
games that the 500 can't play.  There probably are some, especially now that
the 3000's out, but I don't know of them.  Fair enough?

-Ralph

In article <7383@milton.u.washington.edu> jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu (Jim Sather) writes:

>I was considering buying an amiga for a game machine, but never having
>used an amiga, I don't know what machine to get.  Can a 500 play all
>existing games?

Nearly. There are already *some* games on the market that need 1 MB
(available by adding an A501), but I don't know of any *game* that needs
even more. But there are many demos existing that cry for megabytes.

>  How many bit's deep is the graphics on a 500, does it
>have 4096 on screen colors?

Same as any other Amiga. Up to 6 bitplanes; 5 for normal 32-color
screens, 6 for "Extra-Halfbright" or "HAM".

>  I remember reading that an amiga will
>output NTSC for use with television and thus I could save the monitor
>cost.  Is this true?  Does the 500 do this?

If you have a color TV, then you need an extra RF/NTSC modulator.
It's available from Commodore as A520. With this you can connect
either to the antenna or the video input of your TV.
If you can live with black & white,
then you can use the output jack of the A500 directly and
connect to the video input of a b/w TV (this way NOT to the antenna
input!).

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (09/14/90)

Sather) writes:

> I was considering buying an amiga for a game machine, but never having
> used an amiga, I don't know what machine to get.  Can a 500 play all
> existing games?

A standard amiga 500 can play 99% of the games. An amiga 500 with one meg of
memory can play 100% of the games. (including Dunjeon masters and most of the
Cinemaware games which requieres generally 1 meg of RAM)

  How many bit's deep is the graphics on a 500, does it
> have 4096 on screen colors?

YES ! But not many games use this resolution (4096 colors are used generally
during the presentation page, but not during the game itself). Games are
genereally in 32 or 64 colors, even more if they use special effects like
changing the palette at every scan line (Shadow of the beast, and many others
do that)

  I remember reading that an amiga will
> output NTSC for use with television and thus I could save the monitor
> cost.  Is this true?  Does the 500 do this?

Yes, but you'd better buy a monitor for a better image.

  As you can see I am totally
> in the dark so any suggestions on which configurations are best and
> cheapest for gaming would be much appreciated.

A 500, with 1 meg (exp A501), 2 external drives, a good joystick.
If you play only arcade games, you don't need 2 drives and 1 meg.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

ngoh@boulder.Colorado.EDU (NGO HIEN D) (09/19/90)

My suggestion about which Amiga 500 set-up to purchase would be to
go through C= and get the educational Amiga 500 system.  For
$799 (when I checked last) you get a 1meg Amiga 500 with 2 drives (one
internal and the other external) and a color monitor.  I am not
sure what software they are currently bundling the system with, though.
It's the best deal that I have seen for a complete, new system.
Of course, you have to be a university student/faculty member to
make the purchase though.....

Hien

ngoh@tramp.colorado.edu
ngoh@snoopy.colorado.edu

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (09/20/90)

In article <26517@boulder.Colorado.EDU> ngoh@tramp.Colorado.EDU (NGO HIEN D) writes:

>My suggestion about which Amiga 500 set-up to purchase would be to
>go through C= and get the educational Amiga 500 system.  For
>$799 (when I checked last) you get a 1meg Amiga 500 with 2 drives (one
>internal and the other external) and a color monitor.

That's $759.  All you need to do is get proof that you're in  education,
and go to a local dealer.

>I am not
>sure what software they are currently bundling the system with, though.

AmigaDOS 1.3, Amiga BASIC, AmigaVision, and AREXX.

>It's the best deal that I have seen for a complete, new system.
>Of course, you have to be a university student/faculty member to
>make the purchase though.....

Or a faculty/student at a high school, even grade school.
--
|    //   Amiga Student on Campus Consultant   Jules Cisek     I do think |
|  \X/   Computing Services Student Assistant  SUNYA, NY USA   it's good! |

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman <Amigaman>) (09/20/90)

In article <3651@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.albany.edu.UUCP (Jules Cisek) writes:

>That's $759.  All you need to do is get proof that you're in  education,
>and go to a local dealer.
>Or a faculty/student at a high school, even grade school.
>--
>|    //   Amiga Student on Campus Consultant   Jules Cisek     I do think |
>|  \X/   Computing Services Student Assistant  SUNYA, NY USA   it's good! |
>| AMIGA   Computer Science Major/Music Minor   jac423@leah.albany.edu     |

Well, not wanting to argue with an Amiga consultant, but I thought it was just
higher education (i.e. College...).

AMH
* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (09/20/90)

I doubt there will be any games that the 500 can't play for many years.
Many require 1M, and some play better on faster machines, but all
game developers use the 500 as the base fortheir amiga development.
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/20/90)

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) writes:

> In article <26517@boulder.Colorado.EDU> ngoh@tramp.Colorado.EDU (NGO HIEN D)
> >
> >My suggestion about which Amiga 500 set-up to purchase would be to
> >go through C= and get the educational Amiga 500 system.  For
> >$799 (when I checked last) you get a 1meg Amiga 500 with 2 drives (one
> >internal and the other external) and a color monitor.
>
> That's $759.  All you need to do is get proof that you're in  education,
> and go to a local dealer.
>
> >I am not
> >sure what software they are currently bundling the system with, though.
>
> AmigaDOS 1.3, Amiga BASIC, AmigaVision, and AREXX.

Ok...you seem to have slipped a little here. With AmigaDOS 1.3.2, you get
AmigaBASIC. With 2.0, Commodore dropped AmigaBASIC and added ARexx.
AmigaVision only comes with Amigas that are factory equipped with 1 meg
RAM (unless a dealer or somethin has added the extra 512k and AmigaVision
free etc.)

> >It's the best deal that I have seen for a complete, new system.
> >Of course, you have to be a university student/faculty member to
> >make the purchase though.....
>
> Or a faculty/student at a high school, even grade school.
> --
> |    //   Amiga Student on Campus Consultant   Jules Cisek     I do think |
> |  \X/   Computing Services Student Assistant  SUNYA, NY USA   it's good! |
> | AMIGA   Computer Science Major/Music Minor   jac423@leah.albany.edu     |

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) (09/21/90)

Hi,

Amiga is not a game machine, but you can not find any machine better
than Amiga-500 for game playing. Amiga can use your color TV with little
RF modulator (A520). Some games which they are strategy or adventures
in 2-3 diskets need 1Mb. But you can solve this problem with extra
512K. card (A501). Amiga has a standart 5 bitplanes with 640x400 pixel
for graphic display, but some process can upgrade it with extra 6 bitplanes
(4096 color) or 800x512 pixel graphic display.

= Cem Turgay        = Everything is possible but I can't do it yet    =
= OEYO8729 @ TREARN : student of Computer Programming =         ///   =
=                   : Ege University Computer Center  =    \\\ ///    =
= PROHVK32 @ TREARN : programmer at DAPRO Computer Co.=      \XX/     =
= AMIGA    @ HOME   : B-)                             =   Amiga-500   =