[comp.sys.amiga.games] Populus Question

paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) (09/12/90)

  I've been fooling around with Populous for a while, and have gotten
stumped at a point.  I have some friend who've made it past level 500
without too much trouble, so I'm wondering if maybe I just missed
something.

  I'm stuck on BURUING, level 137.  It is a rocky world.  The computer
is very fast reacting, but poor rating, has earthquakes, volcano, and
knights.  I have everything if I remember right.

  I can outgain the computer for the first couple minutes, until he
starts getting accumulations of power.  Earthquakes and Volcanos are
relatively useless against him since his very high speed can fix these
far quicker than I can hope to regenerate points.  By the time I can
get a knight into his territory, he can defeat it relatively easily,
and I can't keep up.  I've tried sending my people into his land,
but the distance and rocky territory put me at a serious disadvantge
by the time they get there and it's a quick slaughter.

  I'm at a loss what to do.  I can't trade disasters.  Can't beat him
militarily.  Can't accumulate enough points to flood the world before
he kicks me around.

   Any helpful strategies?

--
Greg Paul                | Electrical/Computer Engineer in search of a job..
paulg@frith.egr.msu.edu  |

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.063220.16021@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) writes:

>  I've been fooling around with Populous for a while, and have gotten
>stumped at a point.  I have some friend who've made it past level 500
>without too much trouble, so I'm wondering if maybe I just missed
>something.

Two possible ideas which you might not have considered.  In the really
hostile worlds (rock and ice) the starting terrain is often bad enough
that you lose some of your initial people before they can settle at
all.  It is often handy to use 'join together' mode for the first few
minutes, until you can stabilize some land, to preserve all your
initial strength.  (This is the little man icon, NOT 'go to leader'.)

Second, if you can get anyone relatively near to the baddies, the
hand-knit volcano is often a powerful ploy.  That's where you get your
settlement (or person, if land built on people) in one corner of the
screen, and then raise some point on the opposite edge to max.  The
resulting pyramid is cheaper, and often more effective, than a real
volcano, and you can do it earlier.  (Of course, you have to be near
enough to his settlements that it will effect them -- the damage
'diameter' is two screen-widths minus 2 squares, centered on the point
you raise.)

Failing all that, my experience is that the levels do NOT get uniformly
more difficult as you go up.  Maybe your friend had an easier track.  I
hit 500, but there was one level in the middle which I never did manage
to beat.  Eventually, I skipped around it by going back one or two
worlds (of the ones I'd played, you do keep a record I hope).  Replayed
_that_ until I got a different enough score to be sent onto a different
next world.  (Someday I'll go back to the unbeatable one.)

Oh, and having a castle destroyed by a knight costs you LOTS.  It saves
you lots of mana if you can arrange to keep an eye on his knight, and
destroy your castle yourself (raise its center) just before the knight
attacks it.  I put the shield ('watcher') on his knight in that
situation, so that I can skip back everytime the shield display shows
the knight walking, to nobble whatever settlement is about to be
attacked.

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (09/14/90)

Don't forget our ever-popular sink-hole strategy: if water is fatal, just drop
all four corners of land around any enemy (especially knights and
leaders)...plop! he dies! Great for killing knights, and can really turn some
levels around.

And the go back and skip over is very necessary to getting all the way
through...some levels just can't be beat without good luck...

(BTW, my roommate has an ST -- head-to-head Populous is awesome! Also,
Promised Lands is worth it just to check out the graphics...)

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (09/16/90)

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:

> (BTW, my roommate has an ST -- head-to-head Populous is awesome! Also,
> Promised Lands is worth it just to check out the graphics...)

We have an A500 and a 386 box with VGA. We tried the head-to-head option
using a null modem cable, and it works for a while, but whenever something
major occurs (like a volcano or the swamp or rock laying thing) it suddenly
pops up "Incompatible landscapes" and puts us back in one player mode. I'd
really like to try it two-player. Do you or anyone else have any ideas
what's going wrong? We checked through the manual but it wasn't much help.

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (09/18/90)

In article <ZDTLP3w162w@zooid.UUCP> dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:

>We have an A500 and a 386 box with VGA. We tried the head-to-head option
>using a null modem cable, and it works for a while, but whenever something
>major occurs (like a volcano or the swamp or rock laying thing) it suddenly
>pops up "Incompatible landscapes" and puts us back in one player mode. I'd
>really like to try it two-player. Do you or anyone else have any ideas
>what's going wrong? We checked through the manual but it wasn't much help.

Sorry, I can't help here. I would never consider hooking my poor Amiga up to
an IBM -- it might throttle me, or worse start random Guru'ing :-).

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (09/22/90)

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:

> Sorry, I can't help here. I would never consider hooking my poor Amiga up to
> an IBM -- it might throttle me, or worse start random Guru'ing :-).
>
> -- Greg Stelmack
> -- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
> -- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
> -- Amiga: the only way to compute!

Thanks for the incredibly intelligent comments.