[comp.sys.amiga.games] The ~Real~ Tetris

In <1990Sep19.035656.27716@uncecs.edu>, kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
>There was much discussion a while back about the
>"real" Tetris (as distributed by Spectrum Holobyte) and
>all of those other insidious Tetris clones that were
>infringing on Spectrum Holobytes territory.
>
>A friend came by the other day to show me a copy of the
>commercial tetris that he had.  It was from MirrorSoft,
>not Spectrum Holobyte.
>
>Question of the day:  Was MirrorSoft distributing tetris
>for the amiga in the US also?

No.. the MirrorSoft version was never distributed in North America, probably
because Spectrum Holobyte had the N.A. rights to the game.

>  Or was this originally
>meant to be a European-only distribution?  Who had the
>first distribution rights for the amiga?

Don't know what it was meant to be, or if it ever came out in Europe.

>And in case you are wondering:  Yes, his copy was pirated.
>There is no way to tell where the original came from.  No,
>I didn't keep a copy.  And it was inferior to Obsess-O-Matic.

Inferior to Obsess-O-Matic? Well, I guess that depends a lot on whether you
want to play Tetris, or if you want to play a Tetris-like game with all sorts
of non-Tetris stuff in it. I'll say one thing... it beat the pants off the
Spectrum Holobyte version. Too bad it never came out here.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (09/19/90)

There was much discussion a while back about the
"real" Tetris (as distributed by Spectrum Holobyte) and
all of those other insidious Tetris clones that were
infringing on Spectrum Holobytes territory.

A friend came by the other day to show me a copy of the
commercial tetris that he had.  It was from MirrorSoft,
not Spectrum Holobyte.

Question of the day:  Was MirrorSoft distributing tetris
for the amiga in the US also?  Or was this originally
meant to be a European-only distribution?  Who had the
first distribution rights for the amiga?

And in case you are wondering:  Yes, his copy was pirated.
There is no way to tell where the original came from.  No,
I didn't keep a copy.  And it was inferior to Obsess-O-Matic.

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

In <20437@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, maffett@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Maffett) writes:
>In article <1990Sep19.035656.27716@uncecs.edu> kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
>>
>>There was much discussion a while back about the
>>"real" Tetris (as distributed by Spectrum Holobyte) and
>>all of those other insidious Tetris clones that were
>>infringing on Spectrum Holobytes territory.
>>
>>A friend came by the other day to show me a copy of the
>>commercial tetris that he had.  It was from MirrorSoft,
>>not Spectrum Holobyte.
>
>   MirrorSoft == Spectrum Holobyte.
>They are both owned by Sir Robert Maxwell (captian bob),
>ie. Maxwell Communications.
>
>These are the people (maxwell) that screwed the russian inventor out
>of most of his royalties (they say hes received ~800 american dollars so far).

They may be the same company (I don't know), but the two versions of Tetris are
FAR from being the same. The MirrorSoft one is a LOT better.

-larry

--

maffett@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Maffett) (09/22/90)