[comp.sys.amiga.games] Falcon Counterstrike

Rick.Dieffenbach@f43.n135.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Dieffenbach) (09/15/90)

Who has done something extraodinary with Falcon Counterstrike?  I
have caused a Total Industrial Shutdown at Lt Col level, but never
at Colonal.   Seems way to hard.
.
Also, aside from what the documentation says exists in the 'world'
of counterstrike, has anyone found any hidden or unusual terrain?
.
I like counterstrike much better than the original Falcon.  I find
the original difficult to use AGM-65's... they seem to never lock on
correctly.    Anyone experience the same problem?
--
Rick Dieffenbach - via FidoNet node 1:135/943
UUCP: ...!nstar!conch!keys!43!Rick.Dieffenbach

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (09/17/90)

I loved Operation Counterstrike, but could never get my copy to save the map
(both on floppy and on hard-drive). I could also destroy all tanks and all
landing craft, do another mission, launch again, and tanks would be charging
my airfield again (with no landing craft having made it across the lake). Did
I do something wrong? As a result of these problems, I never managed to get
very far into it.

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

opus@cbnewsc.att.com (robin.g.kim) (09/17/90)

In article <264.26F1E6E4@keys.FIDONET.ORG>, Rick.Dieffenbach@f43.n135.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Dieffenbach) writes:
> Who has done something extraodinary with Falcon Counterstrike?  I
> have caused a Total Industrial Shutdown at Lt Col level, but never
> at Colonal.   Seems way to hard.

I've won twice.  The key is to complete the objectives for two or three
missions each flight.  I agree it is difficult, though.  The first time
I "won," I destroyed the last factory by crashing into it!  I guess I took
a little too long trying to get a perfect lock on for my Mavericks.

The second time I survived.  I did it in four missions.  On the first,
I took out the tanks and landing craft, the west bridge, the northwest
factory, three SAM sites, and the train.  I usually try to take out the
power station too, but Sarge didn't give me enough Mavericks.  On the second,
I took out the southeast factory and then the power station.  To take out
the factory, I approached from the EAST.  This allowed me to approach from
a high altitude (to avoid Grails) without having the two SAMs fire
at me.  I was able to launch, do a quick 180, and escape without being
fired upon.  On the third, I wasted a Maverick by missing a tank, which
left me too few to take out the power station.  I blew away the power station
on the fourth mission, but on the way back I flew too close to a SAM site,
and it launched at me.  I can almost never evade Gainfuls, and I thought I
was history.  I hit the afterburner and maneuvered wildly, releasing chaff
as I went.  I was down to one chaff, when I happened to look behind me and
saw the missile was about 2 seconds away from hitting me.  I dropped the chaff,
the missile went by, and that was it.

By the way, I never use the ECM pod.  I always take a single fuel tank, which
I like to drop after it becomes empty, but you can't drop it without dropping
the ECM pod at the same time, so I just skip it.  It's easier to just avoid
the SAM sites, anyway, and also the Gainfuls will often hit even with ECM.
The easiest way to defeat SAMs is to allow enemy planes to follow you at
about 15-30 miles.  The SAMs won't even launch.  I lead enemy planes all
over the map doing this.

> I like counterstrike much better than the original Falcon.  I find
> the original difficult to use AGM-65's... they seem to never lock on
> correctly.    Anyone experience the same problem?

Yes, the newer version is much easier, but I still find it more reliable
to get extremely close to a target before pickling it.  Especially when
one miss can blow the whole mission.

Good luck!

						Robin Kim
						att!ihlpe!opus

phao172@ut-emx (Randy M. Roberts) (09/18/90)

In article <36@screamer.csee.usf.edu> stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
| I loved Operation Counterstrike, but could never get my copy to save the map
| (both on floppy and on hard-drive). I could also destroy all tanks and all
| landing craft, do another mission, launch again, and tanks would be charging
| my airfield again (with no landing craft having made it across the lake). Did
| I do something wrong? As a result of these problems, I never managed to get
| very far into it.
|
| -- Greg Stelmack
| -- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
| -- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
| -- Amiga: the only way to compute!

I believe that the manual says that Tanks and Landing Craft only stay dead
for one turn.  There is a list in the manual of how long different things
stay dead.  If you ask me, I think it makes the game very ungratifying to
have to continuously take out the same 'ole tanks.

Question:
   If I blow up both bridges, the trucks, the train, the landing crafts, and
the tanks, will the enemy stop resurrecting the damn tanks?

Regards,
Randy
--
Randy M. Roberts
phao172@emx.utexas.edu

opus@cbnewsc.att.com (robin.g.kim) (09/18/90)

In article <37307@ut-emx>, phao172@ut-emx (Randy M. Roberts) writes:
] In article <36@screamer.csee.usf.edu> stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
] | I loved Operation Counterstrike, but could never get my copy to save the map
] | (both on floppy and on hard-drive). I could also destroy all tanks and all
] | landing craft, do another mission, launch again, and tanks would be charging
] | my airfield again (with no landing craft having made it across the lake).

Did you see landing craft on the second mission as well as tanks?

] I believe that the manual says that Tanks and Landing Craft only stay dead
] for one turn.  There is a list in the manual of how long different things
] stay dead.  If you ask me, I think it makes the game very ungratifying to
] have to continuously take out the same 'ole tanks.

I have never seen tanks or landing craft attack in two consecutive missions if
the landing craft were taken out before they beached.  I think it's bad enough
having to blow up tanks every other mission!  It could be that I always
destroy the truck bridge on the same mission, which isn't hard to do.
I can't remember ever NOT doing this, so maybe that's what you need to
do to cut the flow in half.

] Question:
]    If I blow up both bridges, the trucks, the train, the landing crafts, and
] the tanks, will the enemy stop resurrecting the damn tanks?

I have never been able to completely stop the flow of tanks, even after
blowing up both bridges before the train and trucks were able to cross.
Even blowing up a factory didn't help.  It could be that the pipeline wasn't
empty, and that if I'd waited long enough the flow would eventually stop.
Because I never see the flow stop before the game ends one way or another
(by the fourth mission I've either won or lost), I no longer bother
taking out the train bridge.  I usually dive bomb from fairly low altitudes
and don't like the swarm of SA-7 Grails the enemy sends up at me.

On another topic, has anyone else noticed that if you fire a Maverick, then
switch to a different HUD mode while the missile is still in flight, it
won't hit anything?  I think I can still see it flying, but when it gets
to its target, it doesn't blow up.  Is this a bug or a feature?

						Robin Kim
						att!ihlpe!opus

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (09/22/90)

First, no landing craft on the later mission, at least none I could find.

This problem really needs to be corrected for a playable version of these
missions. At least make the resurrection time for tanks greater, or base it on
the flow of materials. Cut-off tanks getting repaired? I hate having to do
Rolling Thunder every other mission -- it's easy, so it gets boring and keeps
me from the fun missions.
I also agree with the SA-7 complaint -- there are so many of them that they
are bound to get you. It's easier to dodge the Mig25's, and so I like to keep
one around to keep the SA-7's away.

opus@cbnewsc.att.com (robin.g.kim) (09/25/90)

In article <44@screamer.csee.usf.edu>, stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
> First, no landing craft on the later mission, at least none I could find.

This means that the game is saving your pilot's status correctly.

> This problem really needs to be corrected for a playable version of these
> missions. At least make the resurrection time for tanks greater, or base it on
> the flow of materials. Cut-off tanks getting repaired? I hate having to do
> Rolling Thunder every other mission -- it's easy, so it gets boring and keeps
> me from the fun missions.

It sounds like after you destroy the tanks (and possibly the landing craft),
you just give up and fly back to base.  To get anywhere in the war, you
have to keep going and take out as many more targets as your ordnance allows.

I personally never actually select Rolling Thunder as the mission I'll
fly.  I pick something else, like Flaming Dart, so I'll get more points.
I take out the tanks and the landing craft (the latter using the cannon),
then blow up the factory.  If I have an extra Maverick, I'll take out the
truck bridge, too.  Only then will I even consider flying back to base.
You might want to take out the train, too, before landing.

On the second mission, you don't have to worry about tanks or landing craft,
so you should be able to take out two or three MAJOR targets, such
as the power station AND the P.O.L. tanks.

If you do multiple things each mission, none of them will be boring.  I
admit it's very tedious to blow up the tanks time and again.  That just
gives you an incentive to finish the game in as few missions as possible!

						Robin Kim
						att!ihlpe!opus