[net.travel] Tahiti tips

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (12/17/85)

Just got back from Tahiti -- it's everything I'd heard.  Here are some
tips for anyone planning to visit there (particularly the main island):

Bring:
  patience and sense of humor
  shorts, sandals, sneakers, 100% cotton clothes
  Visa or American Express card
  as good a suntan as you can manage
  lots of PABA-based sunblocks (in varying SPF numbers)
  mosquito repellent
  Solarcaine or similar sunburn/mosquito bite treatment

Optional:
  Pepto-Bismol for prevention of "traveler's diarrhea"
  diet soda if you *have* to have it
  fold-up umbrella
  French phrasebook

Don't bother bringing:
  neckties and/or nylons
  Mastercard

Currency:
  French Polynesian francs (CFP's) were running right at 130 per $US.
  CFP's are the only legal tender.  You cannot buy anything with U.S.
  money or traveler's cheques.  You have to convert them to CFP's first.
  Since there is no departure tax, you can safely reconvert all of your
  money to U.S. dollars before leaving.

Language:
  French is the official language, and of course the natives speak
  Tahitian (or Polynesian, or whatever they call it).  English-speaking
  tourists from the U.S., Australia, and New Zealand account for most
  of the territory's income, so you'll find that almost anyone who
  deals with tourists can manage at least a little English.  Even when
  they don't, you'll find that hand motions and pointing are very
  effective :-)

Hotels in Papeete:
  The two big hotels are the Tahara'a and the Maeva Beach.  The Tahara'a
  is astoundingly beautiful, its only disadvantage is that it is a bit
  of a distance out of town.  The Maeva Beach is more convenient to
  town and the airport, but also is more conventional.

  The Beachcomber is next door to the Maeva Beach, and its management
  would probably be upset that I didn't list it as one of Papeete's
  "big hotels".  It comes close.

Restaurants in Papeete:
  The "must" dinner is Le Belvedere.  Situated on a mountain peak which
  overlooks Papeete.  House specialty is a fondue, which I recommend
  (costs around $15 per person).  I must be ignorant, I only knew about
  cheese fondues and chocolate fondues... this is a "real" fondue, where
  you cook bite-size pieces of sirloin in a pot of hot oil.  Freaked me
  out when they brought out a plate of raw meat.    When you make
  reservations at Le Belvedere, they will arrange to pick you up at your
  hotel.  Don't attempt to drive yourself; the road is barely wide
  enough for their "bus" and besides, there's no parking to speak of at
  the restaurant.  Besides, the ride up is quite an experience!

  Downtown, check out Acajou.  It's on the Boulevard Pomare (the main
  street).  The French onion soup is great.  Another nice thing about
  Acajou: they serve continuously rather than having specific meal
  times.

  By the way, it's against the custom to tip.  And there's no sales tax,
  either.

Other eats:
  The cheapest way to eat is to buy stuff at the local stores.  The
  "libre service" stores are the closest you'll find to our
  supermarkets, while the "magasins" are similar to convenience stores.
  In any event, locally-made items such as bread and pastries are
  quite reasonable (and very tasty); imported items are quite expensive.

  If you're a soft-drink freak (I am), I hope you like Coke or Sprite.
  That's what the bottler in Papeete bottles.  Plus a bit of Mello Yello
  and Fanta Orange.  And a teeny bit of Fanta Grape.  Price is usually
  130 CFP ($1) for a .33 litre (11 oz) can; 234 CFP ($1.80) for a full
  litre.  I saw one can of Pepsi in one of the libre service stores, I
  didn't have the nerve to ask what it cost.  There is no sugar-free
  soda to be found anywhere, but I did see caffeine-free Like Cola on
  Moorea.

Transportation:
  Around Papeete, the standard way to get around is on "Le Truck".  This
  is an odd (by American standards) transportation system.  A zillion
  open-air trucks, similar to what the Army uses to haul troops, each
  independently owned and operated, running up and down the main routes
  of Tahiti on their own individual routes and "schedules".  But it
  works -- if you have to wait more than 30 seconds for the next Le
  Truck going your way, you arrived at a bad time.  Just hop on, and
  when you get near your destination push the signal button.  Get off,
  walk around to the *right* side, pay your 90 CFP ($0.69) (150 CFP=
  $1.15 at night) and you're on your way.

  I strongly recommend renting a car to see the island of Tahiti.  We
  had good luck with Hertz.  The rates were (as I recall) 1950 CFP ($15)
  per day, 28 CFP/km ($0.35/mile), or 4500 CFP ($34.60) per day with
  unlimited mileage (no discounts permitted on the unlimited mileage
  rate).  When you return the car, they figure out which rate is the
  cheapest based on how many kilometers you actually drove; pretty nice.
  Collision insurance is around 750 CFP ($5.75) per day.  Oh yes,
  you buy the gas, at 100 CFP/litre ($2.94/gallon).  [You can drive a
  stick shift, I hope?]

  Total distance around Tahiti Nui (the big part of the island) is about
  120 km (75 miles).  There are three dead-end routes into Tahiti Iti
  (the little part of the island); the longest of these is about 45 km
  (28 miles) one-way.

  Outside of Papeete, street addresses are based on kilometre distance
  from Papeete (nobody tells you this, so pay attention :-)  For example
  the "blowhole" is located at Cote Est 22,0 -- this means 22.0 km from
  Papeete on the East Coast.  Most tourist maps don't even give you the
  location; find one that does.  Anyhow, every kilometre along the
  highway you will find a marker (it looks like a short, fat gravestone)
  which tells you how far it is to the next major hamlet.  On the side
  of that same marker is the important number: how far you are from
  Papeete.

  There are no signs for any of the non-commercial tourist attractions.
  If you don't know where the blowhole is, you'll never find it (unless
  you happen to pass by while a tour bus is stopped there).

  And even the commercial signs tend to be downright dinky by U.S.
  standards.  You have to look really sharp or you'll go right on past.

  There is a regular passenger ferry service from Papeete to Moorea.
  As I recall, it costs about 700 CFP ($5.40) one way.  For a bit more,
  you can take the Keke III which is almost twice as fast and is much
  more comfortable.  For somewhat more than that, you can take the
  Keke III to Cook's Bay on Moorea.  It docks at the Club Bali Hai
  (not to be confused with the Hotel Bali Hai), across the street from
  the Moorea Pearl Center.

Shopping:
  Since almost everything in Tahiti is imported in the first place,
  there aren't many good bargains to be found.  The "classic" item to
  buy in Tahiti is the black pearl.  But be prepared for the prices.
  When you see a black pearl necklace in an ad, it probably costs
  around $5,000 to $20,000.  Individual, unmounted black pearls start
  at about $50 for one that's small, poorly shaped, and quite flawed.

  Although the people at the Maeva Beach hotel recommended that we do
  our pearl shopping at The Pearl Center, that place didn't have any
  unmounted pearls, and the least expensive item that they had was
  150,000 CFP ($1150).  After considerable effort, we located a place
  that had advertised in the English-language newspaper there.  It's
  called "Polynesian Black Pearls", and specializes in unmounted pearls.
  They're on the West Coast at 12.8 km; one reason they're hard to find
  is that their sign is in French only: "Perles Noires de Polynesie".
  The owner speaks good English, and has a very large assortment of
  unmounted pearls; sufficient that we were able to select 3 matching
  ones (for earrings and a matching pendant).  Cost: 45,000 CFP ($346)
  for the trio.

  A bunch of folks from our group went crazy in the duty-free shops at
  the airport.  There are also a number of shops in downtown Papeete
  which can sell duty-free (airport delivery, of course).  I don't have
  much use for the kind of items that are real bargains when duty-free,
  so I can't say if the duty-free deals were really big deals or not.

Special considerations:
  Tahiti is a bunch of French-owned islands thousands of miles from the
  nearest industrial center.  And those thousands of miles aren't truck
  miles nor rail miles, either.  Anything not produced locally has to
  be brought in by the slow boat or else by expensive air freight.  So
  a lot of things we take for granted are either non-existent or are
  so expensive that they might as well be.

  As a result, the locals don't accept the philosophy that "If it's
  worth doing, it's worth doing well."  Doing something well is either
  impossible or prohibitively expensive.  They're quite satisfied with
  "good enough".

  To enjoy Tahiti, you can't pretend you're in the U.S.  In the U.S., if
  you were eating in a restaurant and a lizard walked up the wall, you
  might well complain to the management.  In Tahiti, it would be a full-
  time job trying to keep the lizards away.  Besides, the lizards eat
  the mosquitos, so you should be *glad* there's a lizard on the wall!

  Like everything else in Tahiti, most food is prepared and served in
  the open air.  That means with flies.  Usually not too many, but some.
  Personally, I have trouble with this.  But I was surprised to find
  that I was able to accept this situation and enjoy the food anyway.

  I cannot express in strong enough words just how intense the sun is.
  Especially this time of year, when it is directly overhead.  In the
  U.S. we treat an SPF 15 sun-block as if it was 100% protection; you
  will learn otherwise in Tahiti.  You spend so much time out of doors,
  and the sun is so intense, that unless you already have a good tan
  you will be sunburned after your first day even though you used SPF 15
  religiously.  Even after a few days, and after you've acquired a very
  dark tan, you will still need to use an SPF 4 to 6 sunblock all day to
  keep from sunburning by the end of the day.

  About 50% of the group I was travelling with encountered diarrhea at
  some point or other during the two weeks we were in Tahiti.  This is
  despite many assurances that the water was maintained at European
  standards and therefore very safe to drink.  I think that the people
  were actually experiencing a number of different problems, because
  the severity, duration of problems, and other symptoms varied a lot.
  I think my personal problems were the result of outraging my
  intestinal flora with a change of diet; the food there tends to be
  low in (imported) meat, and high in grains and other vegetarian stuff.
  Anyhow, the local pharmacists can fix you up with some capsules
  that'll take care of the problem; no prescription needed.

  I didn't think much of their milk.  I suspect most of it was either
  goat's milk or reconstituted powdered milk.  Yeccch.

  I had heard that there was no Tahitian word for "punctual", but at
  least in Papeete I found that things were done within plus-or-minus
  five minutes of the scheduled time.  However, that doesn't always mean
  "quickly".  Here's the departure schedule our group had:  12 noon pay
  hotel bill.  2 pm baggage pick-up.  3 pm vacate room and drop key at
  front desk.  6 pm board bus for airport.  6:30 bus leaves on 5-minute
  drive to airport.  7 pm airline workers show up to check passengers
  in.  8 pm passengers allowed into duty-free area.  9 pm board plane.
  10 pm plane departs.  The schedule allowed ten hours for hotel check-
  out and airport check-in!

  of June.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

kosower@harvard.UUCP (David A. Kosower) (12/20/85)

   In message <943@terak.UUCP>, Doug Pardee writes:
 >                                     ... this is a "real" fondue, where
 >  you cook bite-size pieces of sirloin in a pot of hot oil.  Freaked me
 >  out when they brought out a plate of raw meat.

   It might have been good, but it was NOT "real" fondue;  the real thing
is Swiss.  A melted cheese ``broth'' (mostly Gruyere) is kept hot over a
low alcohol flame.  One spears a piece of slightly-stale bread (thick country
bread is best) on a small-tined fork and dips it into the cheese, twirls
the fork to get as much cheese as possible onto the bread, and eats it.
It is best when eaten on a cold day, after skiing, preferrably in the
company of svelte young blondes.

                                       David A. Kosower
                                       kosower@harvard.Harvard.EDU

tj@alliant.UUCP (Tom Jaskiewicz) (12/20/85)

In article <943@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>Just got back from Tahiti -- it's everything I'd heard.  Here are some
>tips for anyone planning to visit there (particularly the main island):

I was there 2 years ago, and basically agree with you.  I have a few more tips
to add.

>Other eats:
In the evening the cheapest dinner is down at the waterfront.  There are 20
odd trucks and vans selling cooked food.  Some of it is cafeteria quality, but
some is *VERY* good.  My favorite was the Chocolate Grand Marnier crepes; I had
4 one evening (from different trucks); 3 were just good, the 4th was superb.

>  If you're a soft-drink freak,
try the Ananas (pineapple) soda.  It was the favorite in our group.

>  There is a regular passenger ferry service from Papeete to Moorea.
For about twice(?) the cost of the ferry, you can fly a small plane either way.

>Special considerations:
Don't expect anything like Hawaii or the Caribean - the style in Tahiti is
very different.  For example, there are more hotel rooms in the Waikiki Hilton
than there are in all of French Polynesia.  It isn't crawling with tourists,
nor is Tahiti run with tourism in mind.

But it is a superb place to just relax.

--

| uucp:  decvax!linus!alliant!tj |

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (12/22/85)

From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

>  >                                     ... this is a "real" fondue, where
>  >  you cook bite-size pieces of sirloin in a pot of hot oil.

This is called Chinese hot pot in the US.  Probably in China it is called
Tahitian fondue.