[comp.sys.amiga.games] Reviews of games wanted

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (09/18/90)

Are there any tank games for Amiga that have the 3-D perspective?  (There are
a couple of wargames like this for the clones, and it seems I heard somewhere
that one of the manufacturers was making an Amiga port.  Any info on this?)

In a mail-order listing, there's a game called "Sherman M4" -- what is this?
Also, "Heavy Metal" (which I have seen as a title for the clones as well)?

What makes "Nobunga's Ambition" different from the other Koei games?
(What might be really neat is a computer version of the Avalon Hill game
called something I can't remember but was set in feudal Japan, and which had
the game-play of King Maker.  Well, it was a thought. :-| )

MouseStick users unite!
--
Gary Wolfe, SYSOP of the Temporal Vortex BBS                        // Amiga!
..uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop,   unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu  \X/  Yeah!

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/20/90)

In article <405@tlvx.UUCP>, sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) writes:
> Are there any tank games for Amiga that have the 3-D perspective?  (There are
> a couple of wargames like this for the clones, and it seems I heard somewhere
> that one of the manufacturers was making an Amiga port.  Any info on this?)
>
> Also, "Heavy Metal" (which I have seen as a title for the clones as well)?
>
> MouseStick users unite!
> --
> Gary Wolfe, SYSOP of the Temporal Vortex BBS                        // Amiga!
> ...uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop,   unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu  \X/  Yeah!

The are relatively few tank games with the 3-d perspective for the Amiga,
but Heavy Metal is one of them (I haven't played it so I can't say how
good it is.)

Another that comes to mind is Arctic Fox by Electronic Arts.  Its an
older game, but its not too bad.

The one to watch for is Stellar 7 (by Dynamix, makers of Arctic Fox). I
had this game for the C-64 and I think it was the best tank game made
on the 64.  However, I've read a review that they recently re-wrote
it for the IBM and I assume that an Amiga version will pop up sometime.

If you don't mind a 2-d tank game, Fire Power by MicroIllusions is a lot
of fun.

David Poland (2FLNTOPAZ@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU)
"Now you will see Lone Star, that Evil will always triumph over Good,
because Good is dumb - Lord Helmet"

wbt@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/21/90)

In article <405@tlvx.UUCP>, sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) writes:
> Are there any tank games for Amiga that have the 3-D perspective?

I'm not sure what you mean by 3-D perspective... no funny glasses or
anything like that.  I'm guessing you mean a perspective view as opposed
to an overhead view, as in a computer wargame.

> In a mail-order listing, there's a game called "Sherman M4" -- what is this?

It's from a French company, and isn't a bad shoot-em-up.  You command a
5-tank Sherman platoon with 2 jeeps for recon, and have to fulfill various
types of missions while dealing with enemy tanks and pillboxes.  No
infantry or aircraft, but you can call for artillery.

The graphics are nice, but I find the game itself pretty lacking.  For
one thing, the turret won't pivot independently of the hull, a major
weakness.  There's no smoke ammo, and no apparent accounting for varying
gun and armor characteristics; a hit kills an enemy, several hits kill
one of your Shermans.  You can jump to any of your 5 tanks at will;
the others run on autopilot.

It doesn't multitask, but it will run off a hard disk (taking over the
machine in the process).  There is no save game feature or saved crews,
nor any role-playing aspect.

Everything is controlled by the joystick and function keys.  YOu can choose
to view from the driver's position or the commander's hatch; in the latter,
you may use binoculars and look to the rear or either side, as well as
forward.  The gunner's sight is incorporated into the driver's visor, but
it's easy enough to shoot from the commander's position.  Elevation can be
adjusted, to shoot over obstacles (though I can't see any difference), you
don't have to worry about having the right elevation to hit the target.

It's an OK game.  Nothing near as nice as Sands of Fire, which is
comparable in scope but much better executed.

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com
	"C" combines the power of assembly language with the
		flexibility of assembly language.

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (09/26/90)

In article <25688.26f801da@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> In article <405@tlvx.UUCP>, sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) writes:
> > Are there any tank games for Amiga that have the 3-D perspective?  (There are
> Another that comes to mind is Arctic Fox by Electronic Arts.  Its an
> older game, but its not too bad.

M-1 Tank by Mircoprose is a 3d tank game, and it's supposed to be
very good.

Colin Adams         Life's funny but I don't laugh