[comp.sys.amiga.games] OK, So what are the BEST Amiga Games

jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu (Jim Sather) (09/25/90)

Now that I am getting an Amiga I'd like to hear from you gamers on which
are the best games for it.  I put a lot a value on graphics.  A game must
have good graphics for me to play it, but it cannot only have graphics it
must have good gameplay also.  I suspect that many of you hold the same
opinion.  So I'm ready to start building a library of games and would like
to hear from you on what I should get.  Please respond via email and if
there is signigicant interest I will post a summary to the net.

Thanks!

-Jim
jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (09/26/90)

In article <8064@milton.u.washington.edu>, jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu (Jim Sather) writes:

> Now that I am getting an Amiga I'd like to hear from you gamers on which
> are the best games for it.  I put a lot a value on graphics.  A game must
> have good graphics for me to play it, but it cannot only have graphics it
> must have good gameplay also.  I suspect that many of you hold the same
> opinion.  So I'm ready to start building a library of games and would like
> to hear from you on what I should get.  Please respond via email and if
> there is signigicant interest I will post a summary to the net.
>
> -Jim
> jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu

     One of the most addictive games that I have picked up in the last week
is Wings by Cinemaware. The graphics and music soundtracks are outstanding
as well. You are a World War I flying ace who has to fight throughout
the entire 2 and something years of WWI. A new mission is in store every
3 days or so. You can either strafe infantry, supplies, convies, and/or
trains in a neat-looking 3/4 scrolling view; or bomb trains, supply
hangars, U-boats, destroyers, aerodromes, and/or planes in overhead
bombing runs; or fly in a biplane in a simulator type atmosphere where
you are viewing behind the pilots head (which turns to view the
closest enemy aircraft) and making patrols for enemy aircraft, escorting
bombers, protecting your base, or destroying observation balloons. The
simulator part is the most fun. You actually see the different vector-
rendered biplanes, monoplanes, and tri-planes that you go against, each
with its own iron cross on its rudder. There is ground fire that hinders
you (which is also in the other 2 types of flying (3/4 and overhead))
and your skills are increased with every successful mission. A log
book, kept by you (but prewritten), describes the events of the day,
what the captain has planned for you to do, what the Germans are doing,
and other things like "I doubt I'll be home for Christmas"...its like
a diary-journal type thing which gets you personally involved in the
game, instead of a dull, 100 key presses to take off flight simulator.
All controls are by joystick, which are implemented well, and the
game has hours upon hours of replayability. My choice for Amiga
Game of the Year.

-Steve M. Suhy-

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (09/26/90)

	RE Wings

	It's a great game, but there were things I didn't like.  Most of all
the ENDING, which is a big let-down.  I don't think I'm giving anything away
when I say that the last mission (#240 or so) is just a one-on-one against
a German plane, D.VII if memory serves.  I had well over 200 kills by this
point, so this wasn't any kind of challenge at all.  (Earlier in the game, in
the only other solo mission you're sent on, you get jumped by seven planes.
I shot them all down without taking any hits.  I should be afraid of one
plane?)

	I also thought that while the journal was a nice touch, it was TOO
impersonal.  They could have livened it up a little, I think.  (I really didn't
like being told how terrified I was during Bloody April, when I already had
more kills than Richthofen would ever get.)  I especially didn't care for
the way the journal would just pick up like nothing happened after your pilot
was killed and you replaced him with a new one.

	And I didn't like the way my pilot's head became a "blind spot"-
enemy planes would get in front of me and I couldn't see them because my head
was in the way!

	It's a good game, and I recommend it to anyone interested in WW I
air combat.  The journal gives you a sense of living through the war.  But
despite what the box says, it is NOT a role-playing game of any kind, so if
that's what you're looking for, stay away.

PS- it was dirty pool not to mention in the docs the scenes where you try to
evade the German plane on your tail from a back view of your plane.  I almost
got shot down the first time that happened to me waiting for my jaw to get
off the floor...;-)

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of everything...haven't
you learned; if it's not happenning to me it's not important?" -Murphy Brown

adin@math.ufl.edu (Adin Burroughs) (09/27/90)

>     One of the most addictive games that I have picked up in the last week
>is Wings by Cinemaware.
>My choice for Amiga Game of the Year.

I absolutely concur...it is addicting, educational, and just plain fun...though
it can be aggravating when you have run 60+ missions, gotten the first 3 medals
of honor(i forget what they are), have been promoted to major, and have almost
all the skill areas maxxed out when some dumb german smashes into th top of
your bi-plane and you crash, due to no fault of you own...

I have to nominate the scene where I'm with 3 other guys and i run into 10
german planes in wing formation as the best animated sequence DURING a game..
I'm just try ing to imagine how they can get  the amiga to handle 13 airplanes
flying around, keeping all the strategies on the german part correct, etc...
in one little meg of memory..lets just say, impressive.

Definite thumbs-up for this game. It has my vote for Game of the Year.
(Good job cinema-ware, your batting average is pretty good so far.. )  ;)

-Adin

|  .Sig 1.1 under construction.....					    |
|					adb@beach.cis.ufl.edu		    |
|					adin@math.ufl.edu		    |
|					Iceman@circa.ufl.edu		    |
|	'Tis better to have loved and					    |
|	 lost than to have never loved at all........			    |