[comp.sys.amiga.games] Arcade games - What's the best?

briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) (09/03/90)

Hi Amiga Gamers,

   In a couple of days I'm planning on purchasing a game or two.  My
   library is lacking in arcade types.  So... what's out there thats good?
   I've heard a bit of talk about Turrican (what is it?, Is it good?)  Any
   help would be greatly appriciated.

   In particular I need a game I can play in shorter bursts (due to my two
   kid under 2 !!).  I know these type of topics come up a lot, but results
   usually aren't posted.  If I get enough response I'll summarize.

   Thanks again,
   Brian.

  Brian Gragg    briang@sdd.hp.com   hp-sdd!briang  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!briang

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Sep2.233112.25804@sdd.hp.com>, briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg)
writes:
> Hi Amiga Gamers,
>
>    In a couple of days I'm planning on purchasing a game or two.  My
>    library is lacking in arcade types.  So... what's out there thats good?
>    I've heard a bit of talk about Turrican (what is it?, Is it good?)  Any
>    help would be greatly appriciated.
>
>    In particular I need a game I can play in shorter bursts (due to my two
>    kid under 2 !!).  I know these type of topics come up a lot, but results
>    usually aren't posted.  If I get enough response I'll summarize.
>
>    Thanks again,
>    Brian.

Try these ones, they are all good:

TURRICAN (best of the best)
BATTLESQUADRON (shoot'em'up, one of the best)
SILKWORM          "
STUNT CAR RACER (car race in 3D. Really fantastic)
KICK-OFF 2 (soccer)
DATASTORM (defender clone, but much better)
ANARCHY        "
FLOOD (platform game)
EMERALD MINES (old, but really one of the best games ever made)
R-TYPE (shoot'em'up)
X-OUT      "
REVENGE OF DEFENDER (defender clone)

anyone wants to complete ?

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

crash@maple.circa.ufl.edu (Laurence Gordon) (09/06/90)

>Try these ones, they are all good:
>
>TURRICAN (best of the best)
>BATTLESQUADRON (shoot'em'up, one of the best)
>SILKWORM          "
>STUNT CAR RACER (car race in 3D. Really fantastic)
>KICK-OFF 2 (soccer)
>DATASTORM (defender clone, but much better)
>ANARCHY        "
>FLOOD (platform game)
>EMERALD MINES (old, but really one of the best games ever made)
>R-TYPE (shoot'em'up)
>X-OUT      "
>REVENGE OF DEFENDER (defender clone)
>
>anyone wants to complete ?

yeah, I'll have a go...

Try WINGS OF FURY.  Its a really good, fun shoot 'em up, although the joystick
control is a little weird.  It is VERY hard, though.

NEW YORK WARRIORS   Great graphics! Really slick. Extreme violence.

BLOOD MONEY/MENACE/STRYX  all these psygnosis games are good, though dated.

OPERATION WOLF - just like the arcade version, but no gun :(

THUNDERBLADE: my friend tells me this is good, though I suck at it.

FIRE AND BRIMSTONE - pretty fun. hard as heck

I hope these help.  Wings of Fury is best, though.

Crash@maple.circa.ufl.edu
Laurence Gordon
'No generalization is worth a damn, including this one' - Will Rogers

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (09/27/90)

You forgot Xenon II. It's the best shoot'em up ever!