[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM and F18 on Hard Drive

jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) (09/20/90)

	I want to instal Dungeon Master and F/A-18 Interceptor
on the hard drive of my 3000/25-50.

	I heard that you need "fixes" to install them.  I've
checked several FTP sites and several local bbs and I can't find
it.  Is installing F18 just a matter of putting certain files in
a drawer called "F18:" ?  Could anyone point me in the direction
of the fixes (or SnailMail them to me on disk or something?)

Thanks,
Jason Freund, Sun Microsystems,  jasonf@cetemp.Corp.sun.com  <== summer address
Deprtmnt of Computer Science, Univ California, Davis. freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu
Quantum Link: JasonF5,  Compu$erve: 72007,244, 690 Erie Dr, Sunnyvale, CA 94087
STOLEN QUOTES -- Please give the authors credit if you know who they are!
"To understand recursion, you need to understand recursion."
"Wow!  Virtual memory!  Now I'm gonna build me a REALLY big ram disk!"
"My other computer is a SUN3/50."  "E. Pluribus UNIX"   -- authors unkown

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) (09/21/90)

In article <142772@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) writes:

>	I want to instal Dungeon Master and F/A-18 Interceptor
>on the hard drive of my 3000/25-50.
>
>	I heard that you need "fixes" to install them.

I also would like the info for installing F/A 18 Inteceptor on a hard drive.

(Sheesh, don't these game publishers realize that the Amiga is a _real_
computer now, with _real_ storage even?)

--
      ///
     ///   "Only Amiga Makes It Possible!"        mcc@moscom.com

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (09/24/90)

In article <2293@moscom.UUCP> mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) writes:
>In article <142772@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) writes:
>>	I want to instal Dungeon Master and F/A-18 Interceptor
>>on the hard drive of my 3000/25-50.
>
>I also would like the info for installing F/A 18 Inteceptor on a hard drive.

I can't help the first poster with DM, but F-18 is easy to fix.

First, the standard notice:  DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR ORIGINAL.  USE A COPY.

The F-18 disk is not copy protected in any way (yay) but there are
hardcoded calls to DF0: all over the code.  So all you have to do is load
the 300+K executable into a text editor which won't choke on it like Cygnus
Ed and replace all instances of the four characters "DF0:" with whatever
else you want (same length!).  I used "F18:" and then simply assigned F18:
to the directory on my HD where I put the files.

Make sure you're not going through replaceing them yourself - get the
text editor to do it, that way you're sure you haven't changed anything
else.  If you keep it the same length, it will still work.  Note that there
are around 33 occurances of the text "DF0:" in the file.

That's it - nobody told me how to do it, I just had a hunch and it worked,
so others may tell you differently.  Don't forget to copy the stuff in the
subdirectories.

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A Gaspar) (09/25/90)

You can FTP a program that fixes DM from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in the /incoming/amiga directory.

C G		BIX: cgaspar
 A		Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

gimme@solan1.solan.unit.no (Olav Gimmestad) (09/25/90)

In article <2148@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

|> >I also would like the info for installing F/A 18 Inteceptor on a hard drive.
|>
|> I can't help the first poster with DM, but F-18 is easy to fix.
|>
|> First, the standard notice:  DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR ORIGINAL.  USE A COPY.
|>
|> The F-18 disk is not copy protected in any way (yay) but there are
|> hardcoded calls to DF0: all over the code.  So all you have to do is load
|> the 300+K executable into a text editor which won't choke on it like Cygnus
|> Ed and replace all instances of the four characters "DF0:" with whatever
|> else you want (same length!).  I used "F18:" and then simply assigned F18:
|> to the directory on my HD where I put the files.
|>
|> Make sure you're not going through replaceing them yourself - get the
|> text editor to do it, that way you're sure you haven't changed anything
|> else.  If you keep it the same length, it will still work.  Note that there
|> are around 33 occurances of the text "DF0:" in the file
|>
|> .                            <<<<Infinite K>

	It's quite easy:
	Copy your disk's contents to a hard-drive

COPY df0: dh0:mydir all

	Then include this in your startup-sequence

assign remove df0:
assign df0: dh0:mydir

	Then the program will search for files on the hard disk!!

	Olav Gimmestad

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep25.102535.23194@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A Gaspar) writes:
> You can FTP a program that fixes DM from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in the /incoming/amiga directory.
>
> C G		BIX: cgaspar
>  A		Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

Unfortunately that patch program will only work with very old
versions of DM.  If you bought your program within the last year
then the patch won't work most likely.

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep25.215940.21567@uncecs.edu>, kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
> In article <1990Sep25.102535.23194@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A Gaspar) writes:
>> You can FTP a program that fixes DM from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in the /incoming/amiga directory.
>>
>> C G		BIX: cgaspar
>>  A		Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
>

> Unfortunately that patch program will only work with very old
> versions of DM.  If you bought your program within the last year
> then the patch won't work most likely.
>
> --
> Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet

I used NIB to make a backup of mine.  As far as I can tell, it removed
the protection (though I don't know if it is HD installable, since I
don't have one...:-( )

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep25.102535.23194@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A Gaspar) writes:
>You can FTP a program that fixes DM from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in the /incoming/amiga directory.
>C G		BIX: cgaspar
> A		Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

This may sound stupid but how do I do that?  I tried "ftp" then I tried
"open abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov" and it gave me an unknown host error.  Help!

GLin

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/30/90)

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:

> In article <1990Sep25.102535.23194@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cag4@cunixa.cc.col
> >You can FTP a program that fixes DM from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in the /incom
> >C G		BIX: cgaspar
> > A		Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
>
> This may sound stupid but how do I do that?  I tried "ftp" then I tried
> "open abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov" and it gave me an unknown host error.  Help!
>
> GLin

New Xanth:
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov
128.155.23.64