[net.travel] paris, france

tramp@ihlpa.UUCP (christian) (11/13/85)

Next July i will be traveling to paaris france.
Can anyone tell me what type of clothes to take
(or not take), and anything else i may pack to
make my stay (11 days) easier?
Any other comments or helps would appreciated too.
Also, i don't speak french, are menus, etc. in
english, or should i pick up a french/english
book and start trying to stagger through some
phrase book?
I was at a club med in cancuun last year, and a lot
of the employees were french, and if you didn't speak
french (fluently) they wouldn't give you the time of day.
Should i also expect this in paris (if not more so?).

ann christian
ihlpa!tramp

carey@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/15/85)

I talked to a lady last week who travels to France every summer
(she is a professor of French).  The French are notorious for
being very rude to Americans (and other tourists) ESPECIALLY when
they attempt to speak French.  Recently (don't know the dates),
she said, some travel agencies got fed up with the situation and
threatened to recommend to American tourists that they NOT go to
France.  The government started up a "be nice to Americans" campaign
enforced with the threat to take away hotel's licenses if their
employees were rude to tourists.  This apparently had a pretty good
impact, so there will be a lot more patience given to tourists.
I don't know how many of the menus, etc. are in english.  Some friends
of mine were there this summer, and could get along OK because one of
them speaks French well.  She said the people were willing to listen
to her French, I don't know if this is because of the new policies,
or because she spoke well enough, that they accepted it--maybe a little
bit of both.

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/15/85)

> Next July i will be traveling to paaris france.
> Can anyone tell me what type of clothes to take
> (or not take), and anything else i may pack to
> make my stay (11 days) easier?
I haven't been in Paris in July, but in Germany in July you'd
need a raincoat and a sweater or jacket (it isn't always cold
in the summer, but it does have cool spells, particularly when
it rains).
> Any other comments or helps would appreciated too.
> Also, i don't speak french, are menus, etc. in
> english, or should i pick up a french/english
> book and start trying to stagger through some
> phrase book?
> I was at a club med in cancuun last year, and a lot
> of the employees were french, and if you didn't speak
> french (fluently) they wouldn't give you the time of day.
> Should i also expect this in paris (if not more so?).
More so. Outside of Paris (far outside, not suburbs) waiters
are friendlier and more willing to acknowledge languages other
than French. I wasn't impressed by food or restaurants in
Paris, but in other parts of France the food is superb.
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (11/16/85)

 > ann christian writes:
> Next July i will be traveling to paris france.
> Can anyone tell me what type of clothes to take
> (or not take), and anything else i may pack to
> make my stay (11 days) easier?
> Any other comments or helps would be appreciated too.

paris is nice and warm in july. It's been a couple years since
I've been there, but I can recall walking along the Champs Elysee
and sitting at the sidewalk  "refreshment" places for some
refreshments wearing pants and light shirt at midnite.
Activity during summer months is casually dressed.  You might
want a light sweater for late evening, however.  Coats aren't
necessary.  Some of your dress depends on what you want to
do.  You certainly wouldn't dress up along the Seine, nor would
you wear shorts and T-shirt at a fine restaurant.
Usually when traveling around Europe, I pack ties and jackets
for business meetings and purposes, and I am casual for all other
purposes.  If you plan to visit Notre Dame or other religious
places, you should dress appropriately.
Take good comfortable walking shoes.  Do a lot of walking.  It's the
best way to see the area.

> Also, i don't speak french, are menus, etc. in
> english, or should i pick up a french/english
> book and start trying to stagger through some
> phrase book?

Oh-Oh.  Could be a big problem.  Remember, The French are definitely
French.  You are indeed at a disadvantage if you can't speak the
language.  Parisians don't like half efforts, either.  You either
speak the language or you don't.  You may find that some menus in
tourist areas have english translations, but that is not common.  If
you leave the traditional tourist areas, you will find very little
English.  It's a good experience, though.  I know a little French but
found it was better to not use it.  They seemed to be more bothered by my
incorrect interpretation/usage of their language than to not use it.
(Don't ruin their language :-) ).  I've never used phrase books, so I
can't really comment on it.  When my poor french and english don't work,
I found that I could get along fairly well in europe by using either
german or spanish.  believe me, it really helps to speak more than
one language.

> I was at a club med in cancuun last year, and a lot
> of the employees were french, and if you didn't speak
> french (fluently) they wouldn't give you the time of day.
> Should i also expect this in paris (if not more so?).

I was at Club Med in Playa Blanca several years ago and didn't have
that problem.  However, I think that you will find the situation
as bad as (and probably moreso) in Paris.  For one thing, they
generally don't like americans (non french speaking anybody for that
matter) and they don't mind conveying that fact to you.  If you
realize that and don't act the stereotypical american tourist,
you will probably get along fine, however.  If you get out of paris
and into the countryside, you will find it much better, however,
they don't speak english, either.  Actually, I think the parisians
do, and they understand you very well.  However, they act the opposite.
It would certainly help if you knew someone there and ran around with
them.  It sheds a whole new light on the ballgame.  Usually, I would
be with a rep or some other acquaintance who spoke french.  In those
situations, I had no problems with the people.  I only had problems
when alone. (maybe it's me :-) ).  Be nice and treat people well.
And be wary of taxi drivers.  They'll take you the long way if
you let them.

After paris, go to munich (moenchen) and/or austria.  how about
london?  holland is nice in july.  so is stockholm.

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (11/18/85)

> > and if you didn't speak
> > french (fluently) they wouldn't give you the time of day.
> > Should i also expect this in paris (if not more so?).
> More so. Outside of Paris (far outside, not suburbs) waiters
> are friendlier and more willing to acknowledge languages other
> than French. I wasn't impressed by food or restaurants in
> Paris, but in other parts of France the food is superb.

But remember, we're talking about a foreign country.  Don't assume
they will know English or have menus printed in English.  (How many
US resteraunts, even in big cities, can handle non-Engish speaking
tourists?  And in 4 different languages?  France is surrounded by
countries that speak other languages than English - e.g. Spanish,
Italian, & German.)  If you are going for a visit and have enough
time, take a class in the language.  If you will be visiting several
countries, at least learn a bit of the language of one of them.
Don't rely on a phrase book, as pronounciations of words can be VERY
different in different languages.  (E.g. in French there are many
letters that just aren't pronounced and the rules can vary depending
on the part of speach!)
--
    Barry Buchbinder			    (608)221-5000
Agrigenetics Corp.; 5649 E. Buckeye Rd.; Madison WI 53716 USA

abc@brl-sem.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (11/19/85)

Lots of misinformation about France has appeared here recently.  My
experience is that you'll find what you expect.  If you make a
reasonable attempt to make yourself understood, French people will meet
you more than halfway.  Remember, in France as in most European
countries, nearly everyone born since 1945 has studied English for
several years.

Further, I found the French to be warm and friendly and generally not
anti-American.

Now I know Americans who will argue both these points.  These are the
same Americans who resent French nationalistic feelings by French people
but who feel that Americans should be more "patriotic!"  I suppose they
want the French to bow and scrape forever because of WW II, not
realizing that we had our own axe to grind.

Finally, I found proportionately more English-speaking folk in
Paris than in the rural southwest, no doubt because Paris has a more
international transient population.

Brint Cooper

	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
	 UUCP:  ...{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl-tgr!abc

--

davel@zehntel.UUCP (David Longerbeam) (11/19/85)

     .
>    .
> Brint Cooper
>
> 	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
> 	 UUCP:  ...{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl-tgr!abc

I am an American who will argue both these points, and I am NOT the
kind who thinks that Americans should be more "patriotic", nor do I
resent French nationalism.  While I found many French people to be
warm and friendly, (especially those who were ALSO travellers, or who
I met through personal contacts), the average Frenchman/Frenchwoman
I met on the street, in AND out of Paris, was very often rude and
impatient.

Although, one has to admit that one can find the same anti-tourist
attitudes in San Francisco, for example, as one finds in Paris.
It must be very disconcerting to have one's beautiful home city
be overrun by loud, gawking tourists every season.  And the
"Ugly American" does exist.

--
David Longerbeam @ Zehntel Automation Systems, Walnut Creek, CA
{ihnp4, ucbvax}!zehntel!davel

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (11/20/85)

>Lots of misinformation about France has appeared here recently.  My
>experience is that you'll find what you expect.  If you make a
>reasonable attempt to make yourself understood, French people will meet
>you more than halfway.  Remember, in France as in most European
>countries, nearly everyone born since 1945 has studied English for
>several years.
>
>Further, I found the French to be warm and friendly and generally not
>anti-American.

For the most part, I definately agree.

I have been spending 2-3 months/year in Europe for the last 15 years. (Almost
anyone can do this, if you are willing to give up the income.)  My language
skills are pretty marginal - a little French, a little German, a little
Spanish (little means little, less than 100 words).

I love Paris, it is a great place!  I suspect that the people who have troubles
there have trouble because of American arrogance.  Many Americans (not
Canadians), assume that (1) they are God's gift to the rest of the world,
(2) all that is important in the world is money, (3) cultural values are
of low importance, and (4) English is (or should be) spoken by all.  They
often tend to view their relationships with others in this framework.  In
my view, they should stay home and watch Dallas.

Otherwise, when they get to Paris, they will find that their arrogance causes
French arrogance in response.  And the French know how to be arrogant.

Actually, it isn't only the French who don't accept the American (items 1..4)
of the world, quite a lot of others don't.  But, others tend to ignore
the American pretensions, where the French (especially the Parisians), twist
it around and bounce it right back.

I do agree with the suggestion of avoiding extended discussions using poor
French in Paris.  Try English first - many shop keepers understand it.
However, if you try French first, they may insist that you pronounce it
reasonably correctly before understanding.  Use a dictionary to figure out
menues.
  ...Larry Mazlack MAZLACK@ERNIE.BERKELEY.EDU

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/20/85)

> > > and if you didn't speak
> > > french (fluently) they wouldn't give you the time of day.
> > > Should i also expect this in paris (if not more so?).
> > More so. Outside of Paris (far outside, not suburbs) waiters
> > are friendlier and more willing to acknowledge languages other
> > than French. I wasn't impressed by food or restaurants in
> > Paris, but in other parts of France the food is superb.
>
> But remember, we're talking about a foreign country.  Don't assume
> they will know English or have menus printed in English.  (How many
Between us we speak English, Italian, German and Spanish.
The problem wasn't that they didn't understand other
languages, but their attitude. As soon as they realized we
were not French, the waiters became very snotty. We didn't
expect to see English on the menus. In general we could read
the menus okay. Our pronounciation was poor, bnut since we
pointed out the items as we said them, it shouldn't have been
hard to understand what we wanted. Apparently it wasn't,
because we never got something we hadn't ordered. The problem
was getting waited on at all, and in a couple of cases, getting our
food once the order was given to the waiter or waitress.

> US resteraunts, even in big cities, can handle non-Engish speaking
> tourists?  And in 4 different languages?  France is surrounded by
> countries that speak other languages than English - e.g. Spanish,
> Italian, & German.)  If you are going for a visit and have enough
> time, take a class in the language.  If you will be visiting several
We lived in Germany; we went to Paris for the weekend. I'm
dardned if I'm going to learn a language for a weekend trip.
(That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other good reasons
for learning a language, or that if the visit will be considerably
longer it isn't a good idea.)

> Don't rely on a phrase book, as pronounciations of words can be VERY
> different in different languages.  (E.g. in French there are many
> letters that just aren't pronounced and the rules can vary depending
> on the part of speach!)
I disagree. For short trips a phrase book is excellant because
it gives you the correct phrases for common things you are
likely to want to say. Most of them have information on how to
pronounce the various words. Anywhere except Paris I've had no
problem learning new words or pronounciations, my willingness
to learn seemed to favourably dispose the natives to help.

eom@rti-sel.UUCP (Estelle Mabry) (11/21/85)

> Next July i will be traveling to paaris france.
> Can anyone tell me what type of clothes to take
> (or not take), and anything else i may pack to
> make my stay (11 days) easier?
> Any other comments or helps would appreciated too.
> Also, i don't speak french, are menus, etc. in
> english, or should i pick up a french/english
> book and start trying to stagger through some
> phrase book?
> I was at a club med in cancuun last year, and a lot
> of the employees were french, and if you didn't speak
> french (fluently) they wouldn't give you the time of day.
> Should i also expect this in paris (if not more so?).
>
> ann christian
> ihlpa!tramp

Francophile that I am, I'll stand up for the French.  I spent two weeks in
Paris last May and had an absolutely marvelous time.  I speak restaurant
French impeccably (I know what most dishes are, how they are prepared, etc.)
while my every day French allows me to check into hotels, ask directions, deal
with shopping, etc.  It certainly won't support a philosophical discussion!

I found English spoken in many places--all hotels I stayed in, many
restaurants, many shops (especially the big ones).  However, I found that my
attempts at communicating in French were appreciated.

You must remember that Paris in May will be filled with tourists from around
the world--not just American tourists.  I think this is one reason the French
get testy with tourists.  I was in a restaurant in Paris where the waiter was
horribly rude to some French tourisits but not to us--maybe he was just in a
bad mood.

I'll be glad to send you names and addresses of wonderful inexpensive to
moderately expensive hotels and restaurants.  I'll also provide you lists of
what is not to be missed that you might if no one tells you to go.  Let me
know.

			Estelle Mabry

dror@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/24/85)

/* Written  5:08 pm  Nov 15, 1985 by jimb@tekcbi.UUCP in uiucdcsb:net.travel */

> [...]

you will probably get along fine, however.  If you get out of paris
and into the countryside, you will find it much better, however,
they don't speak english, either.  Actually, I think the parisians
do, and they understand you very well.  However, they act the opposite.
It would certainly help if you knew someone there and ran around with
them.  It sheds a whole new light on the ballgame.  Usually, I would
be with a rep or some other acquaintance who spoke french.  In those
situations, I had no problems with the people.  I only had problems
when alone. (maybe it's me :-) ).  Be nice and treat people well.
And be wary of taxi drivers.  They'll take you the long way if
you let them.

After paris, go to munich (moenchen) and/or austria.  how about
london?  holland is nice in july.  so is stockholm.
/* End of text from uiucdcsb:net.travel */

sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) (12/02/85)

I have been in Paris twice this year, once for a few days on vacation, and
once for two weeks to attend an ISO meeting.  Even though I have forgotten
the French I learn at school I enjoyed both visits.  I suspect that much of
the rudeness attributed to the French is legend, and most of the rest is
caused by people who are not conscious enough about their own inadequacy
when they expect someone else to speak English because they do not speak
French.
--
Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
  in the known universe. ]

boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) (12/03/85)

I was in Paris twice this past September, a couple weeks apart.
We had a great time our first pass through -- got along knowing
really no French, but not expecting the Parisiens to speak
English.  Sometimes I'd use a Spanish word, sometimes I'd point,
and other times I'd simply butcher a French word, but I always
managed to communicate.  (I only used English if I was spoken
to in English first, which many waiters did.)  Also, I was in
a happy mood and tried to smile and act pleasant, and I'm sure
that helped.

Our second pass through was every tourist's nightmare.  At the
train stations and tourist offices, the information booths have
signs up saying "English spoken," but do you think that applies
to any of the rude bunch on duty?  A typical situation:  you
ask in English which metro to take to Versailles, and you get
an answer in French like "gauche" -- left.  The left metro?!
You try for a further explanation, and the guy leaves his post
for another customer behind you.

I have friends who swear Parisiens are ok, and I have friends
who will never return there (and in fact, cut short their stay).
So, I guess it just depends, and I don't know on what.
--

		Patricia Boren
		decvax!randvax!boren

mickey@cca.UUCP (Mickey Levine) (12/05/85)

Although I expounded at length about my travels to Paris this past spring,
I have to put another comment in.

1. I am not an ugly 'patriotic' American. I carried a phrase book (Berlitz)
   and I speak Hebrew and my wife speaks German. We drove around France for
   5 days before going to Paris. We NEVER had a problem with English/snotty
   attitudes until we got to Paris.

2. Paris is filled with tourists from all over the world. I believe the
   Parisians have a dislike for all tourists.

3. Most 2+ Star hotels have staff that speak some English, and associated
   resteraunts also had English speaking waiters.

4. My most enjoyable part of my stay was when I met a business associate
   (Parisian) who did the 'translating' for me. This allowed me to see
   the 'side' of Paris I was unable to find as a tourist.

5. Most civilized countries in the world rank English as the number 2
   language (Germans and Israelis are required to learn it as part of
   their schooling). See #2.

6. Despite the problems of my first trip, I would go again. It's a
   beautiful city with lots to do. I would do more preperation, though.

				Never afraid to put my 2 francs in,
					Mickey Levine
					decvax!cca!mickey

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (12/09/85)

> I have been in Paris twice this year, once for a few days on vacation, and
> once for two weeks to attend an ISO meeting.  Even though I have forgotten
> the French I learn at school I enjoyed both visits.  I suspect that much of
> the rudeness attributed to the French is legend, and most of the rest is
> caused by people who are not conscious enough about their own inadequacy
> when they expect someone else to speak English because they do not speak
> French.
> Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

They're rude. I don't expect French people to speak English; it's their
country, after all. So I learned enough French to get by. I had no problems
in the south of France, but in Paris they acted like I was gibbering.

The French are very snotty about their language. A few years ago they
decided that "computer" was impure and that henceforth "ordinateur" was
to be the word. They are now the only language (of a culture with some
technological base) in the world that doesn't recognize "computer." And
on purpose, to boot.

American English is my native language and I've understood the accents
from people literally all over the world without any problem. Of
course, in contrast to the French, I was willing to put some effort
into listening to them and attempting to figure out what they meant. I
have never adopted the attitude that since they don't speak English
like a native they have nothing to say.  In direct contrast to
Parisians, who are quite happy to take my money but not my words.
--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	Computer Graphics Research Group, The Ohio State University
	{ucbvax,decvax}!cbosg!osu-eddie!julian

monique@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/10/85)

> > Next July i will be traveling to paaris france.
> > Can anyone tell me what type of clothes to take
> > (or not take), and anything else i may pack to
> > make my stay (11 days) easier?
> > Any other comments or helps would appreciated too.
> > Also, i don't speak french, are menus, etc. in
> > english, or should i pick up a french/english
> > book and start trying to stagger through some
> > phrase book?
> > I was at a club med in cancuun last year, and a lot
> > of the employees were french, and if you didn't speak
> > french (fluently) they wouldn't give you the time of day.
> > Should i also expect this in paris (if not more so?).
> >
> > ann christian
> > ihlpa!tramp
>

> Francophile that I am, I'll stand up for the French.  I spent two weeks in
> Paris last May and had an absolutely marvelous time.  I speak restaurant
> French impeccably (I know what most dishes are, how they are prepared, etc.)
> while my every day French allows me to check into hotels, ask directions, deal
> with shopping, etc.  It certainly won't support a philosophical discussion!
>
> I found English spoken in many places--all hotels I stayed in, many
> restaurants, many shops (especially the big ones).  However, I found that my
> attempts at communicating in French were appreciated.
>
> You must remember that Paris in May will be filled with tourists from around
> the world--not just American tourists.  I think this is one reason the French
> get testy with tourists.  I was in a restaurant in Paris where the waiter was
> horribly rude to some French tourisits but not to us--maybe he was just in a
> bad mood.
>
> I'll be glad to send you names and addresses of wonderful inexpensive to
> moderately expensive hotels and restaurants.  I'll also provide you lists of
> what is not to be missed that you might if no one tells you to go.  Let me
> know.
>
> 			Estelle Mabry

I have been in restaurants in the US where many waiters were rude.
I have been in public buses where the drivers were rude. I have just been
walking on the beach where I met Americans who were very rude. I have
not found a French restaurant in the States where everyone spoke French.
In fact, no one in the US will try to understand if I speak French.

I also have found rude waiters in France, in Italy, in England.

Do you ever get angry? Waiters or anyone else do too. In France, most waiters
are not paid; they live strictly on their tips.

I am French and I live in the US. I see the same types of people in both
countries: the nice ones and the sour ones.

American travelers, you only see yourselves as the tourist in a foreign
country; pretend you are a tourist in the US!!!!! No one speaks many languages.

Let me tell you, when I first came to this country, my French accent when I spoke English  scared ignorant
Americans and their reaction was nastiness.
When I go to a country of which I do not speak the language, I always learn
a few words before going and I carry a dictionary. It helps every one.
Weatherwise: it may be warm in May, it may be cold. So carry a coat and a
raincoat.

Je vous souhaite de ne rencontrer que de gentils Francais. Il y en a beaucoup,
croyez-moi, qui aiment bien les Americains.

hagens@uwvax.UUCP (Rob Hagens) (12/12/85)

> not found a French restaurant in the States where everyone spoke French.
> In fact, no one in the US will try to understand if I speak French.

I agree -- most anyone you meet on the street (in US) will not try to understand
your French. However, you must realize that the US is not
surrounded by many non-English speaking countries. Regarding Canada, we can
understand most hosers up in the great white north :-). Mexico of course
uses Spanish, and if you look around you will find a great many signs
in both English and Spanish.

Ever see a multi-lingual phone in France, or any where else in Europe?

When I was in France, I found most every one spoke English. I had one
bad experience in a local bar in Paris, but that was offset by the fact that
in another bar (in Paris), I tried to order two wines, and got two beers
and a wine, and the waiter (politely) exchanged them for what I really wanted.

Now, French trains are another story (they need to take a lesson from the
DB on how to run a train).

My brother had a different experience in France. In the international
section of the Paris airport, he approached a police officer and asked
"Where is the bathroom." The officer shook his head, so my brother asked
again in German, and then in Spanish - still no luck. Finally he pointed
toward his fly and shouted PISS. Somehow, the officer seemed to understand.

Rob Hagens
--
Rob Hagens @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!hagens

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/16/85)

>Ever see a multi-lingual phone in France, or any where else in Europe?

Yes.  Actually most European telephone systems have multi-lingual operators.
Call up and ask for help in one of the main European tongues and you will
get it.

>My brother had a different experience in France. In the international
>section of the Paris airport, he approached a police officer and asked
>"Where is the bathroom." The officer shook his head, so my brother asked
>again in German, and then in Spanish - still no luck. Finally he pointed
>toward his fly and shouted PISS. Somehow, the officer seemed to understand.

Acutually, this is another example of American pruience.  I doubt if your
brother wanted to take a BATH, he wanted to PISS.  If he had asked for
a toilet (which is what it is), most likely, he would have been
satisfactorily directed.  (Many European toilets are in separate rooms from
bath tubs and showers, and vica versa.)  Actually, if the word
"toilet" is too embarresing to use, use the generally accepted European
WC - which is an English abbreviation for Water Closet.

...Larry Mazlack

kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) (12/16/85)

>>My brother had a different experience in France. In the international
>>section of the Paris airport, he approached a police officer and asked
>>"Where is the bathroom." The officer shook his head, so my brother asked
>>again in German, and then in Spanish - still no luck. Finally he pointed
>>toward his fly and shouted PISS. Somehow, the officer seemed to understand.
>
>Acutually, this is another example of American pruience.  I doubt if your
>brother wanted to take a BATH, he wanted to PISS.  If he had asked for
>a toilet (which is what it is), most likely, he would have been
>satisfactorily directed.  (Many European toilets are in separate rooms from
>bath tubs and showers, and vica versa.)

And don't ask for a "restroom" in England or Denmark, or you'll be surrounded
by concerned people who think you've become ill and need a place to lie down.
(In France, they'd probably ignore you if you were dying in front of their
eyes.)

neves@uwai.UUCP (12/17/85)

>My brother had a different experience in France. In the international
>section of the Paris airport, he approached a police officer and asked
>"Where is the bathroom." The officer shook his head, so my brother asked
>again in German, and then in Spanish - still no luck. Finally he pointed
>toward his fly and shouted PISS. Somehow, the officer seemed to understand.

My wife tells me that your brother is lucky that his crude term for
urination has French roots.  Pisser means to piss in French.

--
David Neves
Computer Sciences Department

Usenet:  {allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!neves
Arpanet: neves@uwvax

srradia@watmath.UUCP (sanjay Radia) (12/19/85)

I lived in Paris for about 2 years and had never encountered someone
being rude to me for speaking English or bad French. When I arrived, I knew
very little French and had to look for an appartment  (a very difficult
task even if you speak very good French) and settle in. I never had
any problems with my broken French. At work people were very helpful
and kind as I learnt the language. At times, I had to switch to English
and the people who knew the language were very cooperative.  There are rude
people in every country and people have a tendency to generalize from one or
two bad incidents. As a foreigner in France, I had less problems than
my parents have here in Canada. Granted they speak English with an accent,
but their English  was ten times better when they arrived in Canada than
my French was when I arrived in France.

One thing you have to understand is that the English language and the American
culture is affecting the culture of many countries and often
people will get defensive in order to preserve their culture and language.
This is because you lose your culture as soon as you lose the language.
Many people in north america of the English origin have never had the
experience of loosing their language and culture. If you keep this
in mind you will find yourself being more sympathetic to  foreign
cultures and languages, and in turn you will find that foreigners  are
more sympathetic to you.

--

		sanjay
		UUCP:	...!{ utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!watmath!srradia

RBD@PSUVM.BITNET (12/22/85)

I have never been to France but I have been to a number of French speaking
places, ie: Montreal, St. Bart, St Martin. I have consistently found the
people to be extremely rude. The solution for me is simple. I avoid going
to such places whenever I can. If they don't like me that's their perogative.
Mine is to take my tourist dollars elsewhere.

  -- Larry Riffle 814-863-0422 (work) 2-6187 (home)
          :akgua,allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd:!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!rbd (uucp)
          rbd@psuvm  (bitnet)
          rbd%psuvm.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa (arpa)

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (12/27/85)

I've been to Paris twice: in 1972, first time in Europe, innocent of French,
but eager for experience, I collected Incidents, which amused rather than
annoyed me --

  1 About 9 pm one night, trying to cross to the other side of a narrow
    leftbank street lined with parked cars literally bumper-to-bumper, I
    tiptoed over a rubber bumper guard but my pants-cuff caught on the end
    of the bumper as I jumped off, causing me to momentarily stagger, but
    without falling.  Just then, a young Frenchman standing nearby with his
    date on his arm made a grimace and said in loud English, "How disgusting!
    A drunken American."

  2 On my 2nd or 3rd visit to art-nouveau Restaurant Julien near the Arc de
    Saint-Denis, another young Frenchman of commanding girth entered and
    sat with his dining companion at the next table, a brass rail separating
    us.  When he noticed that I was drawing pictures of heads of lettuce on
    the paper tablecloth in a vain attempt to tell the teasing waiter what
    kind of salad I wanted, he became suddenly enraged, and launched into
    a tirade (entirely in French) that lasted until I finished eating (one
    hour).  From his tone, gestures and expression I gathered he was cursing
    me with great vehemence, his face turning at times beet-red.  I felt very
    merry (I almost started doodling again just to annoy him), because the
    language barrier made him incapable of communicating to me a single
    insult.  (While this went on, two couples from Texas had arrived and
    ordered an entire dinner in French spoken in a Dallas accent that made
    absolutely no concessions to French phonetics.  Their waiter was mine.
    After a lengthy wait, the waiter appeared bearing an enormous ceramic
    bowl, out of which towered long stalks ending in large claws: some kind
    of exotic crab.  He plunked the bowl down on the table and disappeared,
    as the four diners stared at it & each other, utterly perplexed.)

In 1982, still devoid of French despite a months' cramming with a phrasebook
and grammar but accompanied by a friend who managed creaky fluency, I met
with only friendly & solicitous reactions, even when by myself, and despite
a complex about foreign languages I'd developed on this trip (which began
in Cologne, where I realized with horror I'd completely lost my 3 years of
college German).  This was pleasant if unexpected, for by the early 80s,
Paris had become pretty dusty & dirty, the area around Boulevard St. Michel
looking very batteredd, and everyone seemed inebriated all the time.

						Cheers,
						Ron Rizzo

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ipse dixit) (12/28/85)

On the lighter side, I'm told the trick is to start the conversation in
some incomprehensible non-=European tougue, then after a while they
will attempt to help out in English. Of course it helps to look
exotic.

I am Oriental but I didn't have to resort to this - my French is
passable. But I suspect I got a little more consideration on account of
my looks. Maybe they thought I was one of the resettled Vietnamese...

I'm sure some of the horror stories are true, but on the other hand,
like in newspapers, good incidents are underreported. I've had many of
those. My attitude is, if other people want to act like boors and
snobs, that is their right. Moi, I'll watch my own manners.

	Ken
--
UUCP: ..!{allegra,decvax,seismo}!rochester!ken ARPA: ken@rochester.arpa
USnail:	Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627. Voice: Ken!

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (01/02/86)

> I have never been to France but I have been to a number of French speaking
> places, ie: Montreal, St. Bart, St Martin. I have consistently found the
> people to be extremely rude. The solution for me is simple. I avoid going
> to such places whenever I can. If they don't like me that's their perogative.
> Mine is to take my tourist dollars elsewhere.
>

>   -- Larry Riffle 814-863-0422 (work) 2-6187 (home)

actually, in my experiences in Paris, I found that the Parisians were rude
to everyone, especially other Parisians.  Still, I'd much rather be in
Paris and not be able to speak French than in New York and not be able
to speak English...One hint about European travel, people everywhere seem
to be a bit more tolerant if you go in the off season.
--
remember, if you do it yourself, sooner or later you'll need a bigger hammer

Ken Shoemaker, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,qantel}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.