And here are the majority of the responses I received via email.

From: kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Frank [Who me?] Kuan)

Xenon II. Best shootem-up game ever made in the history of the
universe.

From: James Romano <J56QC%CUNYVM@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU>

Well  this might be helpful... buy BEAST II  Great graphics.. and excellent gam
 play...  Starglider II is great..  It Came From The Desert I and II.  FALCON i
 a neat flight sim..   Sim City, Populus (spelled wrong).  Well I can go on but
the best thing you can do is buy all of the latest amiga magazines and read the
reviews.... INFO is the best.... You can get an overall view on what games are
ood and not so good..  If you know any pirates.. Take a look at some games they
might have... but don't take them.. They usually have Viruses on them....

From: Ken Steele <kms@uncecs.edu>

Try DungeonMaster (adventure/roleplay) and Flood (puzzle/arcade)

Ken

From: Tim Maffett <maffett@umbra.CS.ORST.EDU>

Turrican is by far the best game (arcade type) on the amiga,
bar none, as I'm sure many people will be telling you.  A
must buy, only about 25$ too.  It is AWESOME, if only every amiga
arcade game were this good.
 tim

From: swann@acsu.buffalo.edu (stephen swann)

In article <8064@milton.u.washington.edu> you write:
>Now that I am getting an Amiga I'd like to hear from you gamers on which
>are the best games for it.  I put a lot a value on graphics.  A game must
>have good graphics for me to play it, but it cannot only have graphics it
>must have good gameplay also.  I suspect that many of you hold the same
>opinion.  So I'm ready to start building a library of games and would like
>to hear from you on what I should get.  Please respond via email and if
>there is signigicant interest I will post a summary to the net.

Populous.  It's my favorite computer game, period.  You get to be one god,
the other player (computer, or another player with an amiga) is the other
god, and you each have your followers.  You try to get your followers to
wipe out his followers, and populate the world.

Pirates.  This much fun oughtta be illegal.  My second favorite computer
game.  It has action, adventure, romance, and battle on the high seas;
what more could any red-blooded computer gamer ask for?

For parties:
	Marble Madness.  This is the stupidest, the most ridiculous game
ever made.  That's why it's almost TOO funny taking turns playing it with
a bunch of half-sloshed people...

If you like shoot-em-ups, I hear Shadow Of The Beast is pretty awesome.
If you like flight simulators, all my friends say Falcon.

Probably best to avoid:
	M-4 (call letters might be wrong) Sherman
	Any submarine simulation I've ever seen.
	War In Middle Earth (graphics are beautiful but repetetive,
		and has easily the worst user interface I've ever seen)
	Carrier Command (interesting idea, awful graphics)

Hope this helps.
--
Steve Swann                  *     "Speak to me in many voices; make
v061q3x6@ubvms.bitnet        *         them all sound like one... "

From: Gregory M. Stelmack <stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu>

Wings! by CinemaWare and Pouplous! by EA are two must-gets. You will be
impressed.

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

From: Brian E Rhodefer <brianr%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

In article <8064@milton.u.washington.edu> you write:

>Now that I am getting an Amiga I'd like to hear from you gamers on which
>are the best games for it.  I put a lot a value on graphics.  A game must
>have good graphics for me to play it, but it cannot only have graphics it
>must have good gameplay also.  I suspect that many of you hold the same
>opinion.  So I'm ready to start building a library of games and would like
>to hear from you on what I should get.  Please respond via email and if
>there is signigicant interest I will post a summary to the net.

Tastes vary in games, of course, but I'll try to suggest a couple.
My bias is for strategy and puzzle-solving games and away from
arcade-style skill&action games, though I do still enjoy several games
from the latter category.

Very nearly the most enjoyable computer game I've ever played is
DungeonMaster.  This one was (for me and all my friends) an absolute
delight, principally because the puzzles and riddles are so nicely
done.  The clues are all direct, and the solutions are all very
common-sense, and yet still non-trivial: very satisfying.  The only
drawbacks to DungeonMaster are: 1) that you pretty much have to draw
maps of the game's 14 levels to solve it, and 2) the game is a one-shot
puzzle.  It's a good month's worth of entertainment, though.
The graphics and audio are very good, as well.

BattleChess is quite amusing, in that each possible piece-takes-piece
capture combination has its own little animation, reminiscent of the
game that R2D2 "let the Wookie win".

Shadow of the Beast (the first one - haven't seen the second yet)
is probably the most stunning game graphically.  It's got tempermental
copy protection, and reportedly has trouble with the fancier Amigas,
but, wow!  This one is about as "arcade" as I ever care to get.
The drawback with SOTB is that it has no "save game" capability:
when your character is killed, you have to start over at the beginning.

This is a short list, but I'm sure you'll get many other suggestions.

Gappy Haming!

Brian Rhodefer

From: A605A040%HASARA11@UWAVM.U.WASHINGTON.EDU

These are the best Amiga games: Marble Madness!,Hybris,battle Squadron
Great Giana Sisters (A Super Mario Bros Clone Only available in Europe)
Barbarian(psygnosis) Arkanoid Bubble Bobble etc. But if you want to have a
real good games machine you shouldn't have bought an Amiga but a console
No, not a Nintendo but something completely different from Japan....
It's called the Neo-Geo and here are the specs. 4096 colours on screen out
65000, 360 hardware sprites with up to 64 x 64 pixels, cd rom quality sound
and the best of all games up to 64 MB big. The only drawback:the price.
The console $400 and the games $150 each!!! If you want to know more about

this machine buy the VG&CE issue september BYE!!!

From: PMXSG0%POPV03%dupont.com@RELAY.CS.NET

Jim,
Yes, I put a premium on graphics and game play as a total package.  With
that in mind I offer my pick-o-the-litter....
Faery Tale Adventure- the first great graphic adventure game for the Amiga.
It shows its age now, but when it came out it was the best; a classic*.
Falcon Counterstrike- The best flight simulator on the market.  Great
graphics, sound and gameplay.  If you are in to flight simulators, a must
buy.
Dungeon Master - A must have.  The best graphics adventure game for the Amiga
and maybe for any machine.  The graphics, sound, and game play all are a "ten".
Turrican - I am not an arcade fanatic, but this one is tops.  The graphics and
sound rate a "ten".  The gameplay is even better.  The imagination and program-
ming that went into this one is topnotch.  But it!
I have others but they do not deserve the accolades these games do.
Good Luck.  Glad to have another Amigan aboard.
mike scribner
- Isaac Asimov