[comp.sys.amiga.games] does sega have ANY good Amiga games?

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (09/21/90)

Subject: does sega have ANY good Amiga games?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games

Hello all....

The other day I picked up the Amiga version of 'Altered Beast'.  I thought
the arcade version was pretty cool.  I had seen the Genisis version and
thought that the Amiga version sould be at least as good.  OH BOY was
I _wrong_ about that!  The graphics are BAD, the music is only ok, the
animation is BAD!

So I was wundering...does SEGA make ANY GOOD games for the AMIGA?????

I remember seeing one of their earlier Amiga games a while back (I think it was
OutRun) and it was bad also.  I have formulated some theroies:

1) they don't know how to program Ami's hardware.

2) they tend to rush things out to make a quick buck.

3) they are trying to protect their Genisis market by producing inferior
	products for other platforms.

I would tend to believe #3, or a combination of #2 and #3.  What does
everybody think? If SEGA does have some good Amiga stuff out, let me know.
But in the meantime I'm staying away from SEGA.

Later....
RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

JMMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET (John Meyers) (09/24/90)

According to an ad I just saw in Amigaworld, they currently do, or are
planning to do, their Genesis development on Amigas. So that alone would
tend to agree with your theory of them protecting their Genesis market
by producing inferior Amiga verions.

BUT, I believe that most Sega games out for the Amiga are acutally
licenses done by other companies, usually European. So, that would seem
to shift the blame from Sega purposely releasing crummy Amiga versions.
They could be a little more careful on who they license to, though.

  __        ,                 |John Michael Meyers -> JMMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET
 (_/_ /     /)) _    _  _   _ |
 _/(//)/)  / / (-'(/(-'/ ' '-,| "Make Mine /|
(/""""""""""""""(_/"""""""""" |           /-|MIGA!"

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (09/25/90)

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) writes:

>So I was wundering...does SEGA make ANY GOOD games for the AMIGA?????
>I remember seeing one of their earlier Amiga games a while back (I think it was
>OutRun) and it was bad also.  I have formulated some theroies:

>1) they don't know how to program Ami's hardware.
>2) they tend to rush things out to make a quick buck.
>3) they are trying to protect their Genisis market by producing inferior
>	products for other platforms.

>I would tend to believe #3, or a combination of #2 and #3.  What does
>everybody think? If SEGA does have some good Amiga stuff out, let me know.
>But in the meantime I'm staying away from SEGA.

Well actually its #2, but it really isn't Sega's fault.  You should also add

  4) Programmed by "rush" software houses in England, such as Activision and
     US Gold.

Its really sad to see games from Sega and Atari that would go perfectly on
the Amiga be destroyed by someone in the UK who is out for a quick buck.
Another part of the problem is in order to make the "quickest" buck possible,
they will do the ST version first, then port it to the Amiga directly.  Then
they don't have to worry about stupid things like a blitter, 4096 colors,
32 colors on the screen, etc, etc.  If you look at most of the SEGA games for
the Amiga, you will see the ST syndrome taking effect.  Boring, flat, highly
dithered colors, lousy animation, and cheap game-play.  If you really want
to play SEGA games, buy a Genesis.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |                                                            BUNGEEEEEEEE!
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown

ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET (Erick Dyke) (09/26/90)

It must be the case of different marketing groups, because as is advertised
in the latest Amiga World, Sega is looking for programers to write games
for the GENESIS machine on their AMIGA developement system....

Hmm...Yet another funny thing about why their Amiga ports suck....

Erick

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/26/90)

In article <90268.144051ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET> ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET (Erick Dyke) writes:
>It must be the case of different marketing groups, because as is advertised
>in the latest Amiga World, Sega is looking for programers to write games
>for the GENESIS machine on their AMIGA developement system....
>
>Hmm...Yet another funny thing about why their Amiga ports suck....
>
>Erick

geee I wonder how one would go about getting this job?
I guess i could lern to program the amiga first.
Does the sega use a 68000?

So the ATARI lyns and the SEGA both use Amigas, neat..
What does the Game Boy use? A vic 20?
.

--
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York

This Space For Rent....

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (09/27/90)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
So the ATARI lyns and the SEGA both use Amigas, neat..
What does the Game Boy use? A vic 20?

No, more like a Timex Sinclair.    :-)

                                               Sun...
p.s. complete with a 0.013 Megabyte tapedrive.

*****************************************************************************Ca
rnegie Mellon University         INTERNET:
sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu

Yet, another version of sig file.  I don't feel too interesting now so I
will just leave
it like this.  I will update it to a bodacious version 'soon'.  Party on dudes!

DISCLAIMER:  Everything I say can and will be used against you. :-)  :-)  :-)
SIGNATURE file v.2.1 (updated 9/19/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/27/90)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

> In article <90268.144051ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET> ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET (Erick Dyke)
> >It must be the case of different marketing groups, because as is advertised
> >in the latest Amiga World, Sega is looking for programers to write games
> >for the GENESIS machine on their AMIGA developement system....
> >
> >Hmm...Yet another funny thing about why their Amiga ports suck....
> >
> >Erick
>
> geee I wonder how one would go about getting this job?
> I guess i could lern to program the amiga first.
> Does the sega use a 68000?
>
> So the ATARI lyns and the SEGA both use Amigas, neat..
> What does the Game Boy use? A vic 20?
> .
>
> --
> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York

> This Space For Rent....

Sega Master System: Z80A
Sega Genesis:       68000

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

gl11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory James Legowski) (09/27/90)

> Does the sega use a 68000?

Yes, the main CPU is a 68000.  There's also a Z80 put in there dedicated to the
sound (makes real neat effects when the 68000 gets an interrupt for, say, a
pause, and the Z80 misses it and keeps playing the sound...)

The cart size is a maximum of 1 megabyte of ROM (Sega claims cart size is
"8 MEG", but that's in megaBITS, not megaBYTES) and I believe the system has
64K of RAM for keeping score, etc.

I'm not suprised to find out that there's a development package to write
Genesis games on the Amiga--my version of Populous on the Genesis looks
IDENTICAL to my brother's Amiga.  And the Genesis prerelease for Zany Golf
still had mouse prompts in it!

Methinks a talk with Sega is in order...  Finally a money-making use for my
brother's Amiga!  Did the ad give any details for minimum system configuration,
etc?

--Greg

butch@fergvax.unl.edu (FERGVAX Daily Operator) (09/27/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>> Does the sega use a 68000?
>> --
>> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York

>Sega Master System: Z80A
>Sega Genesis:       68000

>-Joseph Hillenburg

I believe the Sega Genesis also uses a Z80 to run the sound.  I had
mine popped open once and noticed it and have heard in rec.games.video
that this is what drives the sound.

Another question on the same subject...how does one get info on the
developing of the games for the Genesis and does anyone know what sort
of cash needs to be put up for it?

Butch Rosecrans
butch@fergvax.unl.edu

ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET (Erick Dyke) (09/28/90)

The AmigaWorld add placed by SEGA was for full time jobs.
As in with computer science or other degrees.

It is in  the Amiga World issue with the toster on  the cover.

Erick

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (09/30/90)

Power Drift was pretty cool....

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/02/90)

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) writes:

> Power Drift was pretty cool....

Power Drift *is* *very* cool!
[Now only if they can port the Amiga version right.]