[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM help AGAIN!

bgriese@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Beth Griese) (10/01/90)

	Ergh.. here I was thinking I was doing so WELL in the riddle
rooms of level 4 and I'm stuck on one of the last things! I'm not even
sure I can explain this right, so if this rings a bell for anyone
please give me a HINT of how to solve this blasted room! (Yes, the
eyes are square from staring at the screen to long.)

	I'm stuck in a room that contains two panels on the floor, one
pit, and a switch that will make a blue field appear. On the other
side of the room is a portcullis. One panel will open the portcullis
(or open the pit if need be), and the other panel (natch) closes it. I
can never get from the opening panel to the portcullis because the pit
and the closing panel block my way. The blue field teleports me beyond
the pit, and that also opens the portcullis, but when I press the
button to close the pit and walk over it I'm back on the panel that
opens the pit again and I'm right back where I started. I even threw
myself down the pit, but it didn't help any.

	If this sounds marginally familiar to anyone, I'd greatly
appreciate a pointer. Beyond that portcullis is the last key I need to
finish (I hope) the level! Thanks!

-=-
Beth Griese-- journalist at large   |   "My kingdom for a quiet movie theater
(or at least for hire)              |    or a loud dance floor."

--Columbus, OH  (Ohio State University alumnus-Go Bucks!)

kp74615@nokikana.tut.fi (Karri Tapani Palovuori) (10/01/90)

In article <5194@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> bgriese@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Beth Griese) writes:

>	I'm stuck in a room that contains two panels on the floor, one
>pit, and a switch that will make a blue field appear. On the other
>side of the room is a portcullis. One panel will open the portcullis
>(or open the pit if need be), and the other panel (natch) closes it. I
>can never get from the opening panel to the portcullis because the pit
>and the closing panel block my way. The blue field teleports me beyond
>the pit, and that also opens the portcullis, but when I press the
>button to close the pit and walk over it I'm back on the panel that
>opens the pit again and I'm right back where I started. I even threw
>myself down the pit, but it didn't help any.

If I remember correctly there's a green 'freeze' box down there, so
thats not a very bad idea.

>	If this sounds marginally familiar to anyone, I'd greatly
>appreciate a pointer. Beyond that portcullis is the last key I need to
>finish (I hope) the level! Thanks!

I'll give you a hint: You don't have eyes in your back that could reveal
                      the slowness....

>-=-
>Beth Griese-- journalist at large   |   "My kingdom for a quiet movie theater
>(or at least for hire)              |    or a loud dance floor."
>--Columbus, OH  (Ohio State University alumnus-Go Bucks!)

Karri

eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) (10/02/90)

In article <5194@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> bgriese@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Beth Griese) writes:
>	I'm stuck in a room that contains two panels on the floor, one
>pit, and a switch that will make a blue field appear. On the other
>side of the room is a portcullis. One panel will open the portcullis
>(or open the pit if need be), and the other panel (natch) closes it. I
>can never get from the opening panel to the portcullis because the pit
>and the closing panel block my way. The blue field teleports me beyond
>the pit, and that also opens the portcullis, but when I press the
>button to close the pit and walk over it I'm back on the panel that
>opens the pit again and I'm right back where I started. I even threw
>myself down the pit, but it didn't help any.

I just solved this room yesterday.  The key to the puzzle is to use
an object you don't need anymore to help you trip the panels.

I find it interesting to note that THROWING an object into this field
does not teleport the object, whereas all other fields I have encountered
do teleport thrown objects (ie. this is a bug).  (However, other methods
of teleportation work fine.)

Overall, DM is a great game -- but I prefer more puzzles and
less mapping (ugh!).

>Beth Griese-- journalist at large   |   "My kingdom for a quiet movie theater

 -^-\__                o  o    o     o    o  o                __/-^-
/  (@  --__        o o     o  o   o   o  o     o o        __--  @)  \
|    ^==v=v=   o o  o o o   Eric Quintana   o o o  o o   =v=v==^    |
|v   --^-^-/       o o     o  o   o   o  o     o o       \-^-^--   v|
|  v \                 o  o    o     o    o  o                 / v  |
| v   \                      o    o    o                      /   v |
|   v  \              eric@rorschach.sps.mot.com             /  v   |
(_______)           Motorola Microprocessor Design          (_______)
 )_____(   Interested in Live-Action Role-Playing?  Ask me   )_____(
(_______)  about the International Fantasy Gaming Society.  (_______)

chunko@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jeffrey D. Chunko) (10/03/90)

In article <3928@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP> eric@rorschach.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>In article <5194@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> bgriese@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Beth Griese) writes:
>>	I'm stuck in a room that contains two panels on the floor, one
>>pit, and a switch that will make a blue field appear.
	[More description deleted]
>I just solved this room yesterday.  The key to the puzzle is to use
>an object you don't need anymore to help you trip the panels.

Note that you can use ANY object since you can get it back just by
entering the teleport field yourself.

-=-
Jeff Chunko
chunko@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Ohio State's one and only Amiga Rep.

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (10/04/90)

Har, matey, thar be spoilers ahead, but they be mighty little ones!

<
< I just solved this room yesterday.  The key to the puzzle is to use
< an object you don't need anymore to help you trip the panels.

You don't actually have to give up the object you use to open the
portcullis.  Once the key has been retrieved, simply step into the
field, and close the adjoining pit.  Step onto the (now solid) square,
turn, and pick up the object that opened the portcullis.  (At least,
this worked for me)

< I find it interesting to note that THROWING an object into this field
< does not teleport the object, whereas all other fields I have encountered
< do teleport thrown objects (ie. this is a bug).  (However, other methods
< of teleportation work fine.)

Unless your version differs from mine (which is quite possible),
throwing something through a teleport field does in fact teleport it.
In this case, the thrown object reappears in the 'back corner',
travelling from right to left.  I got a kick out of watching swords fly
out of nowhere, and then off the screen.

< Overall, DM is a great game -- but I prefer more puzzles and
< less mapping (ugh!).

Hey! Wait just a rock pickin' minute!  I *LIKED* mapping DM!  But, then
again, I also go in for such fun activities as root canals! :-)

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /|__|\__/|__|\
cseaman@gateway.sequent.com <or>  | |              |     Where does he get