[comp.sys.amiga.games] Dynamix

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (10/11/90)

In article <3606@intvax.UUCP> bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) writes:
>> A Sierra game??? That game was designed by Dynamix (makers of Arctic Fox)...
>> that's why it doesn't look crummy on an Amiga otherwise it would.
>>
>> David Poland
>> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>
>Bought the game yesterday.  The first name listed in the credits is
>Damon Slye, of Arctic Fox and Stellar 7 fame.  (Stellar 7 was an amazing
>3D Battle Zone type game he wrote for the C=64.)

Stellar 7 has been redone for the 90s by Dynamix.  Currently, there is only
the IBM version, but hopefully it will soon be ported to the Amiga.  The
IBM version is `very cool'.  If they do as nice a job porting it as they
did with A10 then we should have a killer game here!

>I'm wishing for a 3000 now, since the update rate on my vintage 1000 is
>a bit slow.  :\

A10 runs pretty well on my 3000!  Haven't had it glitch on me (except for
when I forget to disable MouseOff, but then a couple other games die in
this respect, too.).  Fairly decent game.

While I wait and drool over the IBM Dynamix stuff and hope it is ported
soon (as well as Wing Commander from Origin, another very cool game) I have
been playing a lot of M1 Tank Platoon by MircoProse.  Another game which
runs beautifully on my 3000.  Now if only I could finish reading the 210+
page manual :-) (I'm a little more than half through it...).  Railroad
Tycoon and UN Commander are a couple other MircoProse games that I'm
waiting for.  It's too bad more companies aren't like MicroProse, who
releases stuff that is HD installable (ok, overlook F19 Stealth Fighter)
and runs on the 3000 (though Pirates! has problems, but they are apparently
working on it, unlike some other companies I could mention).

BTW, someone mention that A10 kills multitasking.  This is not correct.  It
kills flipping to another view only.  It gets rather unhappy (read, system
lockup) when someone else's view gets popped to the front (try hitting
CED's hot-key activate).  However, things that are running in the
background go just fine.  I was playing and my system hit the callout time
for one of my UUCP nodes and it logged on and did its stuff with no
problems.  (M1 Tank Platoon is similar to A10 in this respect; while it
doesn't kill view switching, it tends to crash if you do...).

Guess I started rambling a bit, eh?  Sorry.

-=> CAW

Christopher A. Wichura               |Real programmers don't play tennis, or
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)      |any other sport that requires you to
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)|change clothes.  Mountain climbing is
                                     |OK, and real programmers wear their
Please! Do not send mail to my school|climbing boots to work in case a
account unless mail to miroc bounces.|mountain should suddenly spring up in
I often do not check uicvm.uic.edu   |the middle of the machine room.
for periods in excess of a week.     |                        --Unix Fortune