[comp.sys.amiga.games] XYBOTS

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (10/09/90)

Is Atari planning on putting Xybots (or is that Xybot or Xybot II?) onto a
personal computer.  For those not in the know, Xybots is a 1-2 humans vs.
level after 3D maze level of Robots.  The game is of 1987 vintage, but I
played it for the first time this weekend.  It's really quite nice:

        - constant beat/bass riff in the background
        - collect guns,energy, and money to buy extra equipment
        - cute animation of characters (when a level is cleared, your
          character blows the smoke off the end of the gun.  Also, in
          2 player mode, if you reach the elevator to the next level
          ahead of your partner, you get impatient waiting.)
        - 3D/split screen perspective
        - your shots can hurt your partner
        - neat robot voices ("Intruder Alert","The Human has been neutralized")
        - nice colors
The resolution may be too high to preserve the nice animation on the coin-op,
but maybe it could be done.  Or has it already been done?

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #17: Leave your left turn signal on while driving. |
|    (Right signal may be used, but driving with HAZARDS on is _uncool_.)   |

jnorman@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Sci-Fi) (10/10/90)

Assuming you mean will it come out for the ST/TT series of Atari
Personal Computers, It is already out....    I bought it this weekend at
Atarifest in Reston,VA...   A good game for 12.99$

   JOhn

--
   _    ,           _   ,  jnorman@gmuvax   _jnorman@gmuvax2.gmu.edu/
  ' )  /      /    ' ) /      (Bitnet)     // _/_ (Usenet)  _/_    /

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (10/10/90)

In article <901009.000735.CDT.C503719@UMCVMB>, C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU
(Baird McIntosh) writes:
> Is Atari planning on putting Xybots (or is that Xybot or Xybot II?) onto a
> personal computer.

it exists on the atari ST, so should exist on the amiga.
However, the conversion is horrible (ugly graphics, bad animation).
Do NOT buy it without testing!

--
Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (10/11/90)

Ok, I don't know about the status of this game's availability for the
Amiga but I have seen ads by TENGEN in the Amiga mags.  If I remember
correctly, the ad said that it will be available for the C64 and IBM.  I
could be wrong.

Anyway, do not get mixed up with Atari Games Corp. and Atari Corp.
because these are two different companies.  Atari Games Corp. makes
arcade games and they started making computer software not too long ago.
 Atari Corp. on the other hand is in the business of making hardware.
They make ST's and whatnot.  So, just in case you didn't know, DO NOT
MIX UP ATARI AND ATARI GAMES.

                                     Sun...
Carnegie Mellon University                        sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu

(C)1990, Totally Cool People Society of America.
a non-profit organization formed to protect the lives of the innocent
against weird, barbaric, and grotesque UNCool(C) people in the world.

"Anything I say or do could be used against YOU" - Yours Truly.
Publisher of the Totally Cool People Society's bi-weekly Top Ten List.
(Sig file v.2.2a)

>) (10/11/90)

I have had this game for quite a while now, and feel that although not one of
the best games I have ever played, is enjoyable....

TITLE: Xybots
Sound: average
Anim.: average
Looks: average

Basically, this is your "average" game.  The reason I like it, however, is
that in a world of games which take either five days (min) to unravel so
you can actually "win" it without killing yourself (Rocket Ranger, Dungeon
Master, etc. etc.) Xybots has taken a very simple premise and put it to
good programming.

Premise:  Run though a maze with a "two foot behind the character" screen
          format (ie. you see yourself...don't knock it, I hated the way
          they did Dungeon Master, I like to see who I am playing) kill
          the enemy and get to the next level.  What could be simpler?
          You can buy traits (a little spice, but doesn't hinder) to
          help you.

The game isn't worth a great amount of your money, but if you see it on the
discount shelf, you may want to buy it.

When you want to put your mind at rest and kill lots of robots: violence
purely for the sake of violence, boot it up.

			RATING: 2 out of 4
                        Will it end up destined to gather dust 'til
                        the disk loses the magnetic ability to keep
                        alive: no, I will play it time and again.

mark

                      /\\         _  __  ___    /\\   \\ \  \    \        \
                     /  \\  |\/||  | |  //___  /  \\   \\ \  \    \        \
                    / /\ \\ |\/|| _| |_ \\_// / /\ \\   \\_\__\____\________\
                    \_liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu_//   // /  /    /        /

gfm@geech.ai.mit.edu (George F McBay) (10/11/90)

In article <901009.000735.CDT.C503719@UMCVMB> C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:

>   Is Atari planning on putting Xybots (or is that Xybot or Xybot II?) onto a
>   personal computer.  For those not in the know, Xybots is a 1-2 humans vs.
>   level after 3D maze level of Robots.  The game is of 1987 vintage, but I
>   played it for the first time this weekend.  It's really quite nice:

	They have..I used to have it for the commodore 64, and have seen
ads for it in many amiga magazines..It is released to the computing public
under Atari's Tengen Label..Im sure you could find it at most
good amiga stores
------
gfm@ai.mit.edu

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (10/11/90)

	RE XyBots for the Amiga

	I distinctly remember seeing this in the one local store that
carried Tengen games.  Of course, they're now out of buisness so I can't go
check...

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of everything...haven't
you learned; if it's not happenning to me it's not important?" -Murphy Brown