[comp.sys.amiga.games] Different help with F-18....

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett Kessler) (10/11/90)

F/A-18 was one of the first games I ever bought for my Amiga, and now
that I've brushed the dust off of it and have started playing it again,
I need some help.  I've completed the couple of missions up to the one
where you have to rescue the downed pilot... but I don't know how!  I'm
able to fly over him repeatedly, but I can't do anything to him!

I've tried landing on him, grabbing him with my arrestor hook, and in
frustration I dumped a whole lot of garbage on him.  I even landed on
the water once in an attempt out of sheer annoyance!  (Yeah, F/A-18 has
a bug that lets you land on the water.  But then you can never take off again.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

+------///-+------------------| BRETT KESSLER |------------------+-\\\------+
|     ///  |         consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu          |  \\\     |
| \\\///   |              consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                |   \\\/// |
|  \XX/    |              (PeopleLink)  B.KESSLER                |    \XX/  |
+----------+-----------------------------------------------------+----------+

hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com (Greg Hunt) (10/11/90)

In article <4165@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>,
consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett Kessler) writes:
> F/A-18 was one of the first games I ever bought for my Amiga, and now
> that I've brushed the dust off of it and have started playing it
again,
> I need some help.  I've completed the couple of missions up to the
one
> where you have to rescue the downed pilot... but I don't know how!
I'm
> able to fly over him repeatedly, but I can't do anything to him!

There's a rescue pod that your plane carries that you have to drop
close enough to the downed pilot that he can swim to it.  See your
manual for the key sequence you use to release the pod (it's on the
page that has all the other control keys for the plane).

The trick is to drop it close enough to the pilot.  I've been able to
do it consistently by flying real low (50 feet or so), and real slow
(about the speed you land at).  I need to fly with the gear down and
about 60% power to do it.

If you miss the first drop of the pod, kick in the afterburners and
go land at any runway (I usually use SFO).  That will re-arm you,
including giving you a new rescue pod.  Then high-tail back to the
pilot.  There is a limited amount of time before he drowns (but I
don't know how long that is).

Enjoy!

--
Greg Hunt                        Internet: hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
DG/UX Kernel Development         UUCP:     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!hunt