[comp.sys.amiga.games] Drakkhen Help Needed

matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov (matt of ASTD) (06/28/90)

Help Me!
I've released the "prisoner" in the dungeons of Prince
Haaggkehen's castle, but he gives me some useless info.
This isn't Princess Hordthken is it?  I don't think I've
found her.  Can some person please tell me what should/can
be done in Haaggkehen's castle?

Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
"Twisted yellow puppies play broken flutes loudly..."

richardc@sands1.swbt.com (Richard Cavin) (07/23/90)

I need some help in Drakkhen for the Amiga. I'm in the third castle
(Prince's) and can't seem to complete it. My party of four consists
of a scout (level 6), fighter (level 6), magician (level 3) and priestess
(level 1). This castle has a room with bats and a floor that is green and
yellow boxes. Here are some questions I have at this point:

1) Do I need to use all 4 members of my party to complete this castle?
   I've tried it both ways and keep reaching a dead end. After I get in
   the room that changes to water for the floor I can't return. There
   is a room that has two doors facing down but these doors will not
   unlock, etc. This room is just below the one that has armor protected
   by some kind of forcefield. Do I need to break the forcefield,
   somehow? Also, what is the little red switch on the wall in the adjacent
   room for?

2) Should I try and build up my priestess to a higher level? The reason I ask
   is that i'm always having to be extra careful to watch that she does
   not die.

3) What is the potion used for that can be put in phials in the third castle?
   I've used it but it seems to have no effect.

4) One more question. Once I read a spell book after translation is it safe
   to discard it?

Thanks in advance for any help on this GREAT game! Reply to this message
or send me email if possible.

						Thanks, Richard

richardc@sands1.swbt.com (Richard Cavin) (07/28/90)

[...]

PS - This is a repost but No one has offered help, so I wanted to make sure
it went out.

ring@cie.uoregon.edu (Randy Ingram) (07/29/90)

In article <474@sands1.swbt.com> richardc@sands1.swbt.com (Richard Cavin) writes:
>I need some help in Drakkhen for the Amiga. I'm in the third castle
>(Prince's) and can't seem to complete it. My party of four consists
>of a scout (level 6), fighter (level 6), magician (level 3) and priestess
>(level 1). This castle has a room with bats and a floor that is green and
>yellow boxes. Here are some questions I have at this point:
>
>1) Do I need to use all 4 members of my party to complete this castle?
>   I've tried it both ways and keep reaching a dead end. After I get in
>   the room that changes to water for the floor I can't return. There
>   is a room that has two doors facing down but these doors will not
>   unlock, etc. This room is just below the one that has armor protected
>   by some kind of forcefield. Do I need to break the forcefield,
>   somehow? Also, what is the little red switch on the wall in the adjacent
>   room for?

That is the correct room to exit from.  You must have all four characters in the
room or you can't leave.  The force field drains your hit points.  You can use
a speed spell and try for the armor but it's not that great.  I think it's a
top and bottom +1 (sorry it's been several monthes since I played and I can't
remember what they're called.  It's a cuirass and a something... plate?  Well
any way it's that brown insect looking stuff there's lots better elsewhere.)

That switch frees the prisoner in the hanging cage.  That's why you're here so
do it.

>2) Should I try and build up my priestess to a higher level? The reason I ask
>   is that i'm always having to be extra careful to watch that she does
>   not die.

Absolutely!  My Mage and Priestess were my highest characters.  The higher she
gets, the more spells she knows.  Once you get the shield spell for her, she'll
be able to kick some butt.  Try to advance you characters equally.  Like I said,
my magic users were very strong.  My mage was the highest and by the end he
could kill the BIG dragons with a few blows from a Drags+2 (that's a neato
sword you'll get later if you're lucky.  It's a gift but it's random and you
won't always get it).

>3) What is the potion used for that can be put in phials in the third castle?
>   I've used it but it seems to have no effect.

That one is POISON.  It's hard to tell what each is.  Some match up to the first
few symbols of spells; others have to be tried and identified.  I think there
are twenty different potions and I identified like twelve of them.  Make sure
you cure for every time you drink the poison.

>4) One more question. Once I read a spell book after translation is it safe
>   to discard it?

Yes, you can throw them away.  If you have the room you can carry them until
you get a chance to run up and see the weaponsmith.  He'll buy them and some
bring a good price.  I used to sell him all my junk after finishing a run
through a castle.  If you sell him a phial with one dose of potion, it will
be refilled when you buy it back (more expensive of course, but some potions
are rare and this is a good way to use them indefinately).

One last thing.  You may already know this or they may have fixed the game
in newer releases, but there is a bug in the original release of the game.
It effects the rings and sceptures (r/s) that enhance an ability (Str, Wis, Int,
etc).  What happens is if you throw one away or sell it, you will lose 2 points
from the attribut that was enhanced unless the r/s is active (red).

To see what I mean save the game and then throw away a r/s that's green on
the inventory sheet.  You will lose two points from the thing it would have
enhanced.  Now do it with a r/s that's active.  You will only lose the two
points you gained.  This bug doesn't hurt you if you just trade between your
characters.  I didn't notice this until my mage was down to an Intelligence of
about 10 (from 18).  Luckily I had several save game disks and was able to go
back.

Well, I replied to your original message but it bounced.  My System was messed
up but it's still bouncing so I just posted this.  Hope it makes it!

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul29.111428.14313@cs.uoregon.edu>, ring@cie.uoregon.edu (Randy Ingram) writes:
> could kill the BIG dragons with a few blows from a Drags+2 (that's a neato
> sword you'll get later if you're lucky.  It's a gift but it's random and you
> won't always get it).

Ugh, I hate random effects.  Someone please tell me who this thing comes from.
(Not how to get it, just who to get it from.)

> One last thing.  You may already know this or they may have fixed the game
> in newer releases, but there is a bug in the original release of the game.

Another question.  What revision is current?  (The tombstone on the title
screen shows the rev. number.)  I recently received my copy from a mail order
house, and it was V1.1.

There is no manual protection on Disk 1.

Does this version have the attribute stealing bug?
--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu

bdeskin@cognos.UUCP (Bob Deskin) (10/12/90)

Good game, but I'm running out of ideas.

First question: do you ever find a compass or a map. Either would make life
much easier. Even DungeonMaster had a compass.

Now to the main queries. I've finished Prince Hordtkhen's palace (the
first), gine to his sister's palace, and then finished Prince Haaggken's
palace (and killed the priest). I also went to an ice palace (Princess
Nakhtkha's I believe) where I was told I was given a ring, but I didn't
seem to get one. If I go back to Prince Hordtkhen, he tries to kill me. A
man in the tavern told me about a Palace in the desert and the sand hermit.
I got into the palace, but I'm too weak to stay alive when fighting (levels
6 to 8), and I can't find the sand hermit. Any advice on what I should do
next?

I did try to do some fighting to raise my level but the guards that come out
in Haaggken's palace when you press the wrong symbol seem much stronger than
they were originally.

Thanks in advance.

--
Bob Deskin                    Cognos Incorporated
(613) 738-1338 ext 5003       P.O. Box 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive