[comp.sys.amiga.games] Best Amiga Game

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (10/03/90)

May be it's a little too cerebral for high-speed game players, but I found
Maxis' SimCity to be the highest quality, most original game on the Amiga
to date. It has depth, a brilliant UI, and tremendous play value. All Amiga
software should play this well!

(runners-up catagories: DataStorm & Populous)
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

brighid@ying.epps.kodak.com (In the B zone...) (10/09/90)

In article <1488@metaphor.Metaphor.COM>, djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:

> May be it's a little too cerebral for high-speed game players, but I found
> Maxis' SimCity to be the highest quality, most original game on the Amiga
> to date. It has depth, a brilliant UI, and tremendous play value. All Amiga
> software should play this well!

Big problem with it: If you were truely the all-powerful City Commissioner
or Mighty-Muckety-Muck that the player emulates, then you would also have
more control over the local economy. Setting the tax rate is a good first
step, but the economist in me wants to see interest rates and money supply
figures.  It's a world with no inflation or deflation!

Modifying mortgage rates for apartment buildings would solve a lot of that
hollering about overcrowding.  (I just use the zone residential in the 'burbs,
then bulldoze the inner city method.  Works real well, too!)

brighid@hern.stonemarche.org			Brighid

Disclaimer: Not my fault! Not their fault!

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (10/14/90)

In article <1488@metaphor.Metaphor.COM>, djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:

> May be it's a little too cerebral for high-speed game players, but I found
> Maxis' SimCity to be the highest quality, most original game on the Amiga
> to date. It has depth, a brilliant UI, and tremendous play value. All Amiga
> software should play this well!

I just picked up a book, "The SIM CITY PLANNING COMMISSION HANDBOOK", by
Johnny L. Wilson - Published by Silicon Vally (McGraw Hill).

It is a very interesting book. It describes various City Planning
techniques, and how they can be emulated using SimCity.

It also gives some hints on solving several of the Scenerios that come
Cith SimCity.

Dis you know that if you bulldoze a corner of a residential zone, and
put in a park, that the current development level will freeze? I.E. you
can keep single family houses from going condo this way. It won't, however,
freeze the property value.

It has added a whole new demension to the game for me, in that it has
helped me define specific stratgies to test out.

The book comes with a card that you can send in to Maxis (The developers
of SimCity). They will send you a FREE disk containg "at least 7 of the
scenerios described in the book, with at least one Megopolus".

The book is well worth the $9.95 cost.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic