[comp.sys.amiga.games] A10 Tank Killer

liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb <Bacherov>) (10/09/90)

A friend of mine said a while back that he had seen the "coolest" game
for the Amiga. (He has a GS) It was A10 Tank Killer.  Well, I have
never spotted the game, although I have kept an eye out for it.  Has
anyone else seen this game?  Is it all he says it is cracked up to be?
I don't really like to order a game unless I have seen it in action
first at the local software store.  (20$ markup!  Who are they kidding?)

mark

                      /\\         _  __  ___    /\\   \\ \  \    \        \
                     /  \\  |\/||  | |  //___  /  \\   \\ \  \    \        \
                    / /\ \\ |\/|| _| |_ \\_// / /\ \\   \\_\__\____\________\
                    \_liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu_//   // /  /    /        /

timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett timm@btr.com) (10/10/90)

In article <63477@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb <Bacherov>) writes:
>A friend of mine said a while back that he had seen the "coolest" game
>for the Amiga. (He has a GS) It was A10 Tank Killer.  Well, I have
>
>mark
>                    \_liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu_//   // /  /    /        /

   I just picked this one up at AmiExpo for 32.95$.   It is a Serria Online
game (Liesure Suit Larry....).  Anyway, the first good thing about this game
is NO copy protection whatsoever.  The second thing is that it has the
nicest hard disk install program I have ever seen on the amiga (and when
it finished it said "have a nice day!").  It does not multitask, but it will
return you to you amiga when you exit.
   Game play, well on a 68000 it is pretty slow, but on a 2630 card this
thing is FAST.  It is almost too fast in fact, but probably 50/60 frames a
second.  The ground scenery detail can be changed from "low" to "high" with
a little slider you can pop up at any time, as well as being able yo change
the window size (small-large...).  On a 68000 amiga you can speed the game
up by using a smaller window with low detail of objects.  In the big window,
high detail mode the tanks, trucks, etc. have red USSR stars on the sides, etc.
There are hills, rivers, building, but no trees, etc.
   Anyway, the game play is pretty good, with a variety of weapons and
missions.  It also has a nice feature of letting you set unlimited ammo/
an or invinciblity so you can really have some fun.  It has "digitized"
explosions when you destroy things, but be forwarned that the pictures
on the back of the box are VGA pictures, so they are considerably
nicer than what the amiga is capable of.
   The graphics are good though, and this is not just a crummy port like some
previous serria games.  I was planning on doing a little review once I
had played it more, but I guess this will have to do.
   I would have bought it just for the fact that it has a nice hard disk
install program, and has NO copy protection.  I am going to send in the
registration card and rave about these last too things.

-tim

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (10/10/90)

My Amiga store (Amazing Computers in Tampa, FL) has it, but I haven't seen it
run yet. Check your local dealer...

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!
-- IRAQNOPHOBIA: Nothing a little RAID wouldn't cure!

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/10/90)

In article <611@public.BTR.COM>, timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett  timm@btr.com) writes:
> In article <63477@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb <Bacherov>) writes:
>>A friend of mine said a while back that he had seen the "coolest" game
>>for the Amiga. (He has a GS) It was A10 Tank Killer.  Well, I have
>>
>>mark
>>                    \_liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu_//   // /  /    /        /
>
>    I just picked this one up at AmiExpo for 32.95$.   It is a Serria Online
> game (Liesure Suit Larry....).  Anyway, the first good thing about this game

>    The graphics are good though, and this is not just a crummy port like some
> previous serria games.  I was planning on doing a little review once I

A Sierra game??? That game was designed by Dynamix (makers of Arctic Fox)...
that's why it doesn't look crummy on an Amiga otherwise it would.

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (10/11/90)

In article <611@public.BTR.COM>, timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett
timm@btr.com) says:

>on the back of the box are VGA pictures, so they are considerably
>nicer than what the amiga is capable of.

Woah!!!  Since when is a VGA better than an Amiga?  VGA can display 256 colors
at once, while the Amiga can handle 4096!!!  I don't quite call that better.
Am I missing something here?

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "Beggars   can't |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | be users.   Just |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    | give me the damn |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      | disk, willya?"   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |   -"Grendel" Roe |

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/11/90)

The VGA graphics MS-DOS (yuck) version is good, but the animation it
lousy. I hear that the Amiga version still keeps the VGS graphics, but
gets the Amiga's excellent animation.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett timm@btr.com) (10/11/90)

In article <26038.2712dd75@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <611@public.BTR.COM>, timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett  timm@btr.com) writes:
>>    I just picked this one up at AmiExpo for 32.95$.   It is a Serria Online
>> game (Liesure Suit Larry....).  Anyway, the first good thing about this game
>
>>    The graphics are good though, and this is not just a crummy port like some
>> previous serria games.  I was planning on doing a little review once I
>
>A Sierra game??? That game was designed by Dynamix (makers of Arctic Fox)...
>that's why it doesn't look crummy on an Amiga otherwise it would.
>
>David Poland

   "Dynamix - Part of the Sierra Family" - right on the cover of the box.
Inside:
    Sierra Product Catalog, A10 included.
    Dynamix address is the same as Sierra Online's
    Customer support line is Sierra's
    Registration card, standard Sierra Product registration card
    and even the box is sayas Sierra all over it, in fact it is the same box
    which came with liesure suit larry.

-tim

In article <90283.143445DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>In article <611@public.BTR.COM>, timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett
>timm@btr.com) says:
>>
>>on the back of the box are VGA pictures, so they are considerably
>>nicer than what the amiga is capable of.
>
>Woah!!!  Since when is a VGA better than an Amiga?  VGA can display 256 colors
>at once, while the Amiga can handle 4096!!!  I don't quite call that better.
>Am I missing something here?

   Perhaps I should have been more clear:  The pictures on the back of the
box are VGA pictures, and are considerably nicer than the Amiga is
capable of in 16/32 color mode (which is used by this flight simulator, as
well as all others available for the amiga, it would not be practical
to have a (fast) HAM flight simulator on a 68000 amiga.)

   The specific things in the box pictures I am refering to are the
"digitized" explosions which look great in 256 colors, but the 3 colors
versions they use for the amiga version could hardly be classified as digitized.
-tim

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (10/11/90)

> A Sierra game??? That game was designed by Dynamix (makers of Arctic Fox)...
> that's why it doesn't look crummy on an Amiga otherwise it would.
>
> David Poland
> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Bought the game yesterday.  The first name listed in the credits is
Damon Slye, of Arctic Fox and Stellar 7 fame.  (Stellar 7 was an amazing
3D Battle Zone type game he wrote for the C=64.)
I'm wishing for a 3000 now, since the update rate on my vintage 1000 is
a bit slow.  :\

--
Jon R. Bryan	<=>	bryan@intvax.UUCP
Sandia National Laboratories

elaine@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Elaine_May) (10/12/90)

>>A friend of mine said a while back that he had seen the "coolest" game
>>for the Amiga. (He has a GS) It was A10 Tank Killer.  Well, I have
>  I just picked this one up at AmiExpo for 32.95$.   It is a Serria Online
>game (Liesure Suit Larry....).
I believe that A10 Tank Killer was made by Dynamix.  They have a new game
out for the PC called Red Baron that looks pretty good too.

paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) (10/12/90)

In article <3606@intvax.UUCP> bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) writes:
>> A Sierra game??? That game was designed by Dynamix (makers of Arctic Fox)...
>> that's why it doesn't look crummy on an Amiga otherwise it would.
>>
>> David Poland
>> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>
>Bought the game yesterday.  The first name listed in the credits is
>Damon Slye, of Arctic Fox and Stellar 7 fame.  (Stellar 7 was an amazing
>3D Battle Zone type game he wrote for the C=64.)
>I'm wishing for a 3000 now, since the update rate on my vintage 1000 is
>a bit slow.  :\

   I used to have Stellar 7 on the old Apple II, really miss that game.

--
Greg Paul                | Electrical/Computer Engineer in search of a job..
paulg@frith.egr.msu.edu  |

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/12/90)

Well, Dynamix, if I'm not mistaken, was bought out by Sierra, but
Activision still has distribution rights.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

helmutn@cip-s07.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Helmut Neumann) (10/12/90)

Hi,
ok, you mentioned that the game is FAST on 2630, but my experience
is, that it is too fast (i have 3001/32). The program is so lousy
programmed, that not even the speed in building the graphics has
raised but also the speed of the plane. I simply call the fact, that
you reach the end of the runway in two seconds, unrealistic. The
flown distances are not calculated, so if your processor is four
times faster, you fly four times the way in a second then on a
normal Amiga. This makes the game unplayable. LAME !

Bye, Helmut.

brad@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (10/12/90)

Damon Slye wrote Stellar 7 for the Apple ][ as well.

So how is A-10? Good?? Bad??? what? are the new missions included or do you
have to call the Dynamix BBS for them?

Brad Grier

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (10/13/90)

From article <aPoXq2w163w@ersys.uucp>, by ersys!brad@nro.cs.athabascau.ca:
> Damon Slye wrote Stellar 7 for the Apple ][ as well.

Probably ported to the C=64, then.  It was very impressive, and I seem
to recall spending only $15 for it, too.

> So how is A-10? Good?? Bad??? what? are the new missions included or do you
> have to call the Dynamix BBS for them?
>
> Brad Grier

My first impression was good, but I'm a sucker for flight simulators.
:)  Falcon is "better", I would say.  As for new missions, I haven't a
clue.

--

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (10/13/90)

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

> In article <611@public.BTR.COM>, timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett
> timm@btr.com) says:
> >
> >on the back of the box are VGA pictures, so they are considerably
> >nicer than what the amiga is capable of.
>
> Woah!!!  Since when is a VGA better than an Amiga?  VGA can display 256 color
> at once, while the Amiga can handle 4096!!!  I don't quite call that better.
> Am I missing something here?

I don't know of any games (especially arcade type) that have the actual game
play in 4096 colour mode. It would be too slow.

Relax, though.. the VGA can display more colours but it's not too fast at it
so VGA games tend to have as few objects as possible moving on the screen
(and as small as possible).

paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) writes:

>    I used to have Stellar 7 on the old Apple II, really miss that game.

From what I hear, the new updated version is on it's way for the Amiga. It's
already out for the PC, and looks and sounds great.

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/14/90)

In article <oPFyq1w163w@zooid.UUCP>, dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) writes:

> I don't know of any games (especially arcade type) that have the actual game
> play in 4096 colour mode. It would be too slow.
>
> Relax, though.. the VGA can display more colours but it's not too fast at it
> so VGA games tend to have as few objects as possible moving on the screen
> (and as small as possible).

There are too arcade games written in HAM mode!  Pioneer Plague and Knights
of the Crystallion are two of them. (and both are quite fast).

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu