[comp.sys.amiga.games] Bridge Games

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (10/15/90)

In article <90287.112307JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

> [Review of Bridge 6.0 from Artworx, in .info magazine]
>
>"I haven't played much bridge in the past couple of years, (I've
> been too busy blasting aliens instead), but this game brought it
> all right back.  There aren't many bells and whistles, the graphics
> are only adequate, and the sound next to nonexistent.  However,
Agreed about this -- nothing fantastic, but adequate (on the other hand,
graphics aren't the main point of a Bridge game, right?).

> cutthroat bridge players don't much care about niceties: they're
> more interested in the game for its own sake.  And 'Bridge 6.0'
> plays a vicious game of either contract or duplicate - I only pulled
> off a couple of finesses in several hours.  Bridge fanatics will
> love it.  -TM"   (Tom Malcolm)
Umm...  I am by no means an expert, but I have a few Master's points.
And this program does indeed play a 'vicious' game....  If my real
partner did the things this one does, there would indeed be some
nasty words, perhaps even bloodshed, so I guess that's as vicious
as it gets.

It's a good game for a beginning-medium player, and better than nothing
if you have the bridge urge, and not humans around, but don't expect to
hone your skills (especially your bidding skills) too much, as it just
does too many incomprehensibly stupid things for that.

By the way, someone should write Tom Malcolm and point out to him that
whether or not your finesses work is purely the lay of the cards, and says
nothing about the program's skill...

>In the same issue there is an ad for DataTime, selling Bridge 6.0 for
>$27.00.  Sounds like a deal to me!   :-)

$27 is about all this program is worth...  I suppose a *good* bridge
program would cost more.

(followups to comp.sys.amiga.games)

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
tegra!nad@uunet.com   | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts