[comp.sys.amiga.games] Game play via modem

bdr@cray.com (Brian Reitz) (10/10/90)

Anybody try playing falcon over a phone line at 2400 baud?
Well let me tell you its very very painful!!  Can you say
SSSSSlllllllooooooowwwwww!  Wow it was terrible.  What is
the performance like when you connect the machines directly
with no modem?  Is it playable?  At 2400 it was not even
worth the effort of dialing the phone!  I would be interested
in other people's experiences with playing games over the
phone at various baud rates.  Are any of the games out there
any fun at 2400 baud?  I will be trying stunt track soon
but with the results I got with falcon I'm not very optimistic!

We need more human participation in game play.  All of the
games that have held my attention over 100 hours ;) or so
have been dual player....something I can play with a friend!
Then again I probably spent 100 hours just waiting for Shadow
of the Beast to load and run through that stupid graveyard and
intro sceens!!!  YIKES!!

Brian Reitz
bdr@cray.com

tcb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tim Bennett) (10/10/90)

                    Falcon played in the head - head mode via a nu-modem
  cable is still very slow. A dogfight is out of the question but a super-sonic
  joust using cannon is quite fun. As for stunt car racer its a different story
  its as fast as one player mode but 20,000 times more fun. Its we'll worth
  any problems you might have taking your system apart to drag around a mates
  house....

                                      Cheers Tim

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (10/11/90)

     As far as playing Falcon over modem... I tried it on the IBM against
a friend using a null-modem cable... worked quite well.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/11/90)

Everybody notice this guy's address!

        bdr@cray.com
            ^^^^

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (10/14/90)

In article <174551.24016@timbuk.cray.com> bdr@cray.com (Brian Reitz) writes:
>worth the effort of dialing the phone!  I would be interested
>in other people's experiences with playing games over the
>phone at various baud rates.  Are any of the games out there
>any fun at 2400 baud?  I will be trying stunt track soon

Well, I just recently got FirePower which only runs at 1200 baud and it's
fine.  Poor error recovery but so long as you have clean lines it's fun.
Old, of course, but fun.

You'll be disappointed in Stunt Track.  It's a fantastic game but does not
support modem play at all.  Which is a good idea, really.  It needs 9600
baud (or maybe it's 19,200, who knows?) and so it only works through a
null-modem cable.  Many aspects of the game also are meant for playing with
two monitors side-by-side.  This is a LOT of fun if you have more than one
Amiga or know someone willing to cart their system over...

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831 |

bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) (10/16/90)

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) writes:

>You'll be disappointed in Stunt Track.  It's a fantastic game but does not

I wasn't!

>support modem play at all.  Which is a good idea, really.  It needs 9600
>baud (or maybe it's 19,200, who knows?) and so it only works through a
>null-modem cable.

Unless, of course, you connect two Telebits then start the game.

One question:

How do you get past division 4 when playing via null-modem?
--
-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 bgi@SalesTech.COM 841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |