[comp.sys.amiga.games] F/A-18 Interceptor HEELLLPPPP!!

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/09/90)

Hallo.  I've just bought the aforementioned game (absolutely wonderful, it
is!) and am having a little bit of difficulty with the 'Qualifications.'

I know that you are expected to take off, fly around a bit, and land again
upon the carrier, no?  This I do, and well, too.  I shoot down the stray
MiG-29 when it appears, and make a picture-perfect landing upon the hardtop.
Unfortunately, the game refuses to believe that I have lived up to its
expectations.  I land, turn off the engine, release the brakes, and it won't
acknowledge that I've actually qualified.

Am I missing something?  What?

Any help dearly appreciated...

--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/09/90)

In article <2107@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:
> Hallo.  I've just bought the aforementioned game (absolutely wonderful, it
> is!) and am having a little bit of difficulty with the 'Qualifications.'
>
> I know that you are expected to take off, fly around a bit, and land again
> upon the carrier, no?  This I do, and well, too.  I shoot down the stray
> MiG-29 when it appears, and make a picture-perfect landing upon the hardtop.
> Unfortunately, the game refuses to believe that I have lived up to its
> expectations.  I land, turn off the engine, release the brakes, and it won't
> acknowledge that I've actually qualified.
>
> Am I missing something?  What?
>
> Any help dearly appreciated...

If memory serves (its been awhile since I've qualified) there were TWO
migs you needed to shoot down, not just one.

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/10/90)

When I qualify for takeoff/landing, I fly out a little ways straght from
the carrier, then doa flip so that I'm flying towards the carrier UPSIDE
DOWN then after I've passed it, I turn right side up and line myself up
with the deck and pull in nice and easy. (except whenm I go too low and
miss the deck, but plow into the stern)

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (10/10/90)

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:

>Hallo.  I've just bought the aforementioned game (absolutely wonderful, it
>is!) and am having a little bit of difficulty with the 'Qualifications.'
>
>I know that you are expected to take off, fly around a bit, and land again
>upon the carrier, no?  This I do, and well, too.  I shoot down the stray
>MiG-29 when it appears, and make a picture-perfect landing upon the hardtop.
>Unfortunately, the game refuses to believe that I have lived up to its
>expectations.  I land, turn off the engine, release the brakes, and it won't
>acknowledge that I've actually qualified.
>
>Am I missing something?  What?
>
>Any help dearly appreciated...
>
>--
> __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
>/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/
>\__// /_\ |___ / /_\  |  / /_\ |___ \__/ ___) |--------------------------------
>      Galataeus, ex-Bard of Arrakis           |  I never said these words...

        You might be landing in the wrong direction on the carrier. If you do,
the game won't register the landing. You should be heading 000 to land
correctly, I believe.
       Steve

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!steves
ARPA: crash!pnet01!steves@nosc.mil
INET: steves@pnet01.cts.com

sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders) (10/10/90)

   I don't recall ever having to shoot down any Migs in order to
qualify.  I just launched, flew around the carrier, and landed.  That was
all.  Sometimes I'd fly around a bit, but I've never had a problem when I
either do or don't splash the Mig.

						Rob

bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) (10/10/90)

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:

>niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:

>>Hallo.  I've just bought the aforementioned game (absolutely wonderful, it
>>is!) and am having a little bit of difficulty with the 'Qualifications.'

>        You might be landing in the wrong direction on the carrier. If you do,
>the game won't register the landing. You should be heading 000 to land
>correctly, I believe.

How about the arrestor hook -

Did you lower the arrestor hook?

Can't qualify with it up.
--
-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 bgi@SalesTech.COM 841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |

hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com (Greg Hunt) (10/10/90)

In article <4894@crash.cts.com>, steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:

> [question about how to qualify by previous poster removed for bevity]
>
>    You might be landing in the wrong direction on the carrier. If you do,
> the game won't register the landing. You should be heading 000 to land
> correctly, I believe.
>        Steve

The runway on the carrier is on heading 350, so it's best to land on
that heading as well.  You launch on heading 000 from the catapult.
As Stephen mentions, landing in the opposite direction doesn't
qualify.

I've always gone up, blasted the two migs (I normally start heading
back to the carrier and in a few seconds the second mig pops up on the
map), and then landed.  I haven't tried just flying around and landing
to see if that will qualify you as well.

--
Greg Hunt                        Internet: hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
DG/UX Kernel Development         UUCP:     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!hunt

niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/11/90)

Thanks for the wonderful responses!  It seems that the only problem with my
landings was that I'd approached and landed from the WRONG SIDE!  Seems to
me that I'd be sucking up fish if I tried that in real life, but hey...

Anyway, thanks again.

--* Christopher W. Carlson
--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (10/12/90)

In article <4894@crash.cts.com> steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:

>I know that you are expected to take off, fly around a bit, and land again
>upon the carrier, no?  This I do, and well, too.  I shoot down the stray
>MiG-29 when it appears, and make a picture-perfect landing upon the hardtop.
>Unfortunately, the game refuses to believe that I have lived up to its

Take off, hit the afterburner and pop up into an inverted loop with a slightly
nose high attitude. After you've broken the sound barrier and reached about
3000 feet, you should be both high enough and far enough away from the carrier
to reduce speed to around 70%, drop your landing gear, and complete the
loop. You'll be pointing north (if your loop was clean) and on a perfect
approach to land on the carrier. Once you get better, you can shorten
the top part of the loop. When I was just starting out, I found that
the sound barrier/3000 ft mark gave me ample time to set up my approach,
but you shouldn't need anywhere near that much time once you get the
hang of it. You *must* land on the south side of the carrier or your
landing won't be counted!

Technically, I think, carriers can be landed on from both directions
depending on the wind (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know carriers
turn to "face the wind" for launches, but I don't believe they do any
manouvering for landings. What would be really nice is if the wind
changed during the game, with it being the pilot's responsibilty to
spot the wind direction indicator on the carrier and land from the
appropriate direction!

Ah well.

BTW, I've heard of people being able to land their planes looking
solely from the tower view, or taking off and landing in a full-stick-back
afterburning loop (with the afterburner still on for landing!). That's
something to try, eh?

				Jordan
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (10/14/90)

In article <2107@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:
>I know that you are expected to take off, fly around a bit, and land again
>upon the carrier, no?  This I do, and well, too.  I shoot down the stray
[...]
>Unfortunately, the game refuses to believe that I have lived up to its
>expectations.  I land, turn off the engine, release the brakes, and it won't
>acknowledge that I've actually qualified.
>
>Am I missing something?  What?

Yes, you're missing something.  You must land PROPERLY.  That is, land from
the opposite direction in which you took off, and CATCH THE BUNGEES WITH THE
ARRESTOR HOOK.  This'll stop you without brakes, and is the only way to get
the computer to acknowledge a carrier landing (either yours or the enemy's...).
Similarly, if you're taking off from an airport you need to land from the
proper direction on the proper runway or it won't acknowledge it.

So, drop your arrestor hook after lining up and make sure to catch those
little lines you see on the deck with it.

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831 |

critical.mass@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) (10/16/90)

On  12 Oct 90 13:22:15 GMT jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard):

>hang of it. You *must* land on the south side of the carrier or your
>landing won't be counted!

NOT TRUE!  You may land on the carrier from *any* direction you please and
still be credited with a successful landing.  The program looks for the
arrestor hook catching a cable on the deck as the indication of a sucessful
landing.  If you choose to land on the carrier from the wrong direction,
all you need to do to get confirmation of said landing is taxi on down to
the cables, point yourself in the takeoff direction and drop the hook to
catch a cable.  Another neat 'feature'!

>Technically, I think, carriers can be landed on from both directions
>depending on the wind (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know carriers
>turn to "face the wind" for launches, but I don't believe they do any
>manouvering for landings.

Consider yourself corrected (smile).  Carriers are only landed on in the
configuration presented in F18, from the rear.  Also, landing aircraft
ideally want to be into the wind (as in takeoff) so carriers turn into the
wind to recover aircraft as well.

>What would be really nice is if the wind
>changed during the game, with it being the pilot's responsibilty to
>spot the wind direction indicator on the carrier and land from the
>appropriate direction!

How 'bout letting us call the ball!  That would be great!

>Ah well.

I agree...

      UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!critical.mass    | Critical Mass Software
  ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!critical.mass@nosc.mil | P.O. Box 23
  Internet: critical.mass@pro-graphics.cts.com  | Short Hills, NJ 07078