[comp.sys.amiga.games] TWO or *MORE* meg Games <Now We're TALKIN!!!>

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/23/90)

I have two megs (in my 500) and am about to acquire 3 more.
Total = 5 megs. Get it? Good.

Is there anyone out there who's (yeah, rite) made a list
of games that run better with TWO or MORE MEGS!

I mean, hey, we all have the standard 1 mb jobbie,
so lets crank it up to 5!

I know the PD startrek uses the 2nd meg. What else?

E Pluribus//  Ok.. Contacts, right: ***NEW ADDRESS** **NEW ADDRESS**
  UNIX   //        Primary NET    : jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu <jeremy>
        //         Secondary NET  : jeremym@brahms.udel.edu  <jeremym>
    \\ //          Third-i-ary    : jeremy@vax1.udel.edu       <jeremy>
     \X/  Amiga's rule, but then again, who doesn't really know this??
        --->     Know what I hate most? Rhetorical questions.     <---

felixh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) (10/23/90)

  I am not aware of any games that require more than one meg to run.  However,
Red Storm Rising will load itself into as much spare memory as it can find.
According to its docs, the highest memory option is for it to find over 1.2Mb
in the system.  I guess it loads its files into a RAM: device or some such.
Thus while the actual game never takes more than a Meg, if even that much,
it benefits from extra RAM in reducing disk access time.  To hard-disk users
this is no real consideration.  To floppy users it's quite valuable.
Oh, now I remember, WINGS claims that if you have 3 or more megs you can
install it to RAM disk and run from there.  Again, great for floppy users.
  Marketing considerations obviously point to aiming for the low-end user.
Currently that's 512K, rising to 1 Meg soon as that is the standard selling
configuration of the Ami 500 today.  I don't expect to see any game that
REQUIRES more than 1 Meg to run anytime soon.  All you'll see is stuff like
the above where extra memory can be used by it or you to make RAM: disks
to save time.

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/23/90)

In article <15028@brahms.udel.edu>, jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
> I have two megs (in my 500) and am about to acquire 3 more.
> Total = 5 megs. Get it? Good.
>
> Is there anyone out there who's (yeah, rite) made a list
> of games that run better with TWO or MORE MEGS!
>
> I mean, hey, we all have the standard 1 mb jobbie,
> so lets crank it up to 5!
>
> I know the PD startrek uses the 2nd meg. What else?

Well, just about any game you can install into a ramdisk will do.
But I do know Dragon's Lair II runs a whole lot smoother with 3 megs then
with 1.

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu