[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM questions

pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com (Robert Pomeroy) (10/23/90)

I have two questions concerning DM.

First, I think my disk may be going bad and causing some problems
for me. Every now and then I get a requestor for the DM disk even
though I never took it out. I click on okay and the game resumes.
My problem is that after many hours of playing, my party suddenly
dies and the end of game scroll with the programmer credits comes
up. This has happened the last few times I have played. My chars
were not in danger, they were well fed, then suddenly dead. Is
this some insane disk based protection scheme that kills everyone
if the disk fails more than a couple times in one session?

Second, I have only been playing for a short time now (a week or
two) and I am presently fighting through level five (calling the
hall of champions level one). I read somewhere that there is a
stairway on level four leading to a room full of screamers that
regenerates when you close the door. I went back and searched
but couldn't find it. I did see a stairway when using x-ray
vision/phasedoor/whatever you call the spell, but couldn't
walk through the wall to get to it. I was able to walk through
to the couple other "hidden" rooms on level four but couldn't
get to that stairway. Is that the stairway I am looking for, or
is it somewhere else? I hate to ask for cheats, but how do I get
to that *#$% stairway (it was in a corner a few turns away from
the exit, just past the portcullis - I think).

Any help on either topic would be appreciated.

Bob Pomeroy
pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com
rpomeroy@lynx.northeastern.edu
(sorry, no .sig for now)

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) (10/24/90)

sorry, can't tell you about the stairway, but the regenerating screamer room
isn't near one anyway.it's late in the purple worm level, just a room full of
screamers with a portcullis.If you walk out of this room, turn right, and walk
to the corner, you're on the regeneration plate(sleeping here regenerates them
best).left of the room and round the corner is an illusionary wall.behind this
is....

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (10/25/90)

In article <4387@gara.une.oz.au> scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) writes:

>sorry, can't tell you about the stairway, but the regenerating screamer room
>isn't near one anyway.it's late in the purple worm level, just a room full of
>screamers with a portcullis.If you walk out of this room, turn right, and walk
>to the corner, you're on the regeneration plate(sleeping here regenerates them
>best).left of the room and round the corner is an illusionary wall.behind this
>is....

Actually, there _are_ stairs very close by that go down.  I think you have
to go the next level, come back up those steps, and open a secret door to
have access.  I know that there _definitely_ are stairs down right next to
it.  There are even a couple of water fountains down the stairs.  I used to
set up "camp" here and make forays into the lower levels so I could pump
up the levels of my characters.
--
  "Gosh!  You've really got          |    Il Hwan Oh
     some nice toys in here."        |    University of Washington, Tacoma