[comp.sys.amiga.games] Dragonstrike

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (10/03/90)

[]
Just got DragonStrike.  A new Dragon Flight Simulator (combat) by
SSI.  It is a great game and a great program.  The folks at SSI did
a fantastic job on this one.  Lots of quests and runs fine on my
A3000 and is HD installable.

One fine product, done right and a lot of fun (more than I can
say for most psygnosis games!  They do not like to boot on the
3000 for the most part, and hard disk?  What is that!)

I heartily recommend this program to all!

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (10/04/90)

[]
Unfortunately, DragonStrike is NOT 2.0 compatible.  It plays for a while
but crashes when you breath fire/chlorine gas/whatever.

Still  a fun game...and is A3000 compatible as long as you boot 1.3

In article <3398@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

> I just bought DragonStrike. For those that don't know, DS is a  Dragon
> combat/flight simutator. Instead of flying a jet, you  fly  a  dragon.
> and  fight  other  dragons.

Sounds fun!

> My impression of the game so far (I only played it a few times so far)
> is good. It's a bit slow, but the concept is really neat. One  problem
> I found is that it is supposed to have background  music  (toggled  on
> and off by control M) but it  doesn't  seem  to  work.  But  it  maybe
> because  I  only  have  512k.

This is a fairly standard way to trim back a game when memory is scarce;
I forget where, but I've seen this in a couple of other  games;  sampled
sound takes up mongo space. +2 points for graceful degradation  to  keep
it  playable  on  small  systems.

> You can select the amount of landscape detail  to  be  displayed  (the
> more  detail  the  slower  the  game).

+2 more points for sensible compensation  for  slower  processors  while
taking  advantage  of  faster  ones  to  make  the  game  dressier.

> The BEST thing about DragonStrike is that it works on all Amiga's  and
> it is hard drive installable. NO DISK BASED PROTECTION!! Just look  up
> a word in the manual protection. Although it is a  pain,  it's  better
> than  disk  based  protection.

Well, that puts it on my must buy list! Is it by  any  rare  possibility
multitaskable? It's already made my "Support Good Game Developers" list.

>Ratings (from 1 to 10. 10=perfection)
>
>Playability: 8
>Speed: 4 (on an Amiga 1000. The manual says its faster on faster amigas)
>Protection scheme: 6

Thanks for the review! This is the kind of software we all need to  buy,
so people will sell more of it. I wonder if I can get it to run  out  of
RAD:?
                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.