[comp.sys.amiga.games] Balance of Power - no mouse pointer?

leeuw@swi.psy.uva.nl (Leeuw Jacco de) (10/24/90)

A friend of mine recently bought Balance of Power (not the 1990 Edition).
He noticed that there is no mouse pointer when the B.O.P screen is active.
Now he has to click on the WB screen to make the pointer visible and then
switch to the B.O.P screen. This is no fun, you can understand that...

So, is this 'feature' a bug? What can he do about it?
By the way, his configuration: Amiga 500, 1MB, KS1.2, WB1.3, 1 ext. drive.

Jacco

Jacco de Leeuw/ J.C. van Wessemstr. 54/ 1501 VM Zaandam/ Holland
Tel. +31-75-352068/ Email: leeuw@fwi.uva.nl  or: leeuw@swi.psy.uva.nl

chem194@canterbury (John Davis, programmer at large, chemistry department) (10/25/90)

In article <4464@swi.swi.psy.uva.nl>, leeuw@swi.psy.uva.nl (Leeuw Jacco de) writes:

> A friend of mine recently bought Balance of Power (not the 1990 Edition).
> He noticed that there is no mouse pointer when the B.O.P screen is active.
> Now he has to click on the WB screen to make the pointer visible and then
> switch to the B.O.P screen. This is no fun, you can understand that...

It's not a bug so much as an oversight, the original BOP made the ( then
common ) mistake of not _explicitly_ locating things like the mouse
pointer image data in chip mem. Hence, on a machine with fast memory
you'd get a non-existent pointer due to the data not being accesible
to the custom chips.

The solution is simple - run the program thru either FixHunk or ( better
still ) use the HunkLab option on PowerPacker, and force ALL data hunks
into chip memory ( actually, if you feel keen, use the interactive
mode on fixhunk , find which data hunk holds the pointer data and force
ONLY that hunk to chip mem - this will help minimise chip mem
wastage ).

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |
| o                                                      o |
| o  co-sysop AmigaINFO BBS,1200/2400 baud CCITT,        o |
| o           24 hours a day, ph NZ +3-3371-531          o |

In <2864.272723a5@cc.nu.oz.au>, c0038270@cc.nu.oz.au writes:
>In article <4464@swi.swi.psy.uva.nl>, leeuw@swi.psy.uva.nl (Leeuw Jacco de) writes:
>> A friend of mine recently bought Balance of Power (not the 1990 Edition).
>> He noticed that there is no mouse pointer when the B.O.P screen is active.
>
>I had the same problem. It arises from the memory expansion, so you can either
>
>     1) remove the memory expansion each time (not much fun), or
>
>     2) copy NoFastMem to B.O.P. and insert into startup-sequence (or some other
>program that disables the extra memory).

Or...

  You can run FixHunk on it, and it will fix up the CHIP/FAST problem by
making DATA hunks load to CHIP.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

c0038270@cc.nu.oz.au (10/25/90)

In article <4464@swi.swi.psy.uva.nl>, leeuw@swi.psy.uva.nl (Leeuw Jacco de) writes:
> A friend of mine recently bought Balance of Power (not the 1990 Edition).
> He noticed that there is no mouse pointer when the B.O.P screen is active.

I had the same problem. It arises from the memory expansion, so you can either

     1) remove the memory expansion each time (not much fun), or

     2) copy NoFastMem to B.O.P. and insert into startup-sequence (or some other
program that disables the extra memory).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C0038270@cc.nu.oz.au					Manfred Hanley
			.sigs... who needs them?

f37986f@kaira.hut.fi (Janne Jalkanen) (10/25/90)

In article <4464@swi.swi.psy.uva.nl> leeuw@thoff.fwi.uva.nl (Leeuw Jacco de) writes:
>A friend of mine recently bought Balance of Power (not the 1990 Edition).
>He noticed that there is no mouse pointer when the B.O.P screen is active.
>Now he has to click on the WB screen to make the pointer visible and then
>switch to the B.O.P screen. This is no fun, you can understand that...

Run NoFastMem before starting BOP, since BOP loads its data into FAST RAM if
there is any available.

Janne Jalkanen          ! R.I.P. :  Here lies an NPC
f37986f@kaira.hut.fi    !           Who didn't come in peace.
-'Good Die!'            !           He met a party of PCs
                        !           and now he rests in pieces.

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct25.105011.9515@canterbury> chem194@canterbury (John Davis, programmer at large, chemistry department) writes:
>It's not a bug so much as an oversight, the original BOP made the ( then
>common ) mistake of not _explicitly_ locating things like the mouse
>pointer image data in chip mem. Hence, on a machine with fast memory
>you'd get a non-existent pointer due to the data not being accesible
>to the custom chips.

>The solution is simple - run the program thru either FixHunk or ( better
>still ) use the HunkLab option on PowerPacker, and force ALL data hunks
>into chip memory [...]

FixHunk, at least the version I tried, won't work.  BOP uses overlays
(another sign that it was developed on a 512K machine), and FixHunk
doesn't understand overlays.

There's a program called "Hunker" that wandered across the net several
years back that does work with BOP.  Dunno [sic] about the HunkLab
option in PowerPacker.  Also, no guarantees about how either of these
solutions may (or may not) interact with the copy protection scheme.

BTW, it's only the mouse pointer that has this problem, so you can run
nofastmem, start the program, and then re-run nofastmem to get your
memory back once the mouse pointer has been loaded.  However, this
does end up needlessly loading the lots of code into precious chip
RAM.  It's better to fix the executable.

-Dan Riley (riley@theory.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University

chem194@canterbury (John Davis, programmer at large, chemistry department) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct25.142802.28158@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
> In article <1990Oct25.105011.9515@canterbury> chem194@canterbury (John Davis, programmer at large, chemistry department) writes:
>>The solution is simple - run the program thru either FixHunk or ( better
>>still ) use the HunkLab option on PowerPacker, and force ALL data hunks
>>into chip memory [...]
>
> FixHunk, at least the version I tried, won't work.  BOP uses overlays
> (another sign that it was developed on a 512K machine), and FixHunk
> doesn't understand overlays.

Version 1 of fixhunk indeed will not handle overlayed files, version
2 ( on a more recent fish disk ) will ( with certain limits - it's
a brilliant tool none the less )

> There's a program called "Hunker" that wandered across the net several
> years back that does work with BOP.  Dunno [sic] about the HunkLab
> option in PowerPacker.  Also, no guarantees about how either of these
> solutions may (or may not) interact with the copy protection scheme.

Shouldn't matter at all as far as copy protection goes, whether the
code is in chip or fast ram doesn't really matter as far as it's
concerned. ( remember that to force a hunk to chip mem you're only
twiddling a couple of bits within the hunk-header, you're not
touching the code within )

> BTW, it's only the mouse pointer that has this problem, so you can run
> nofastmem, start the program, and then re-run nofastmem to get your
> memory back once the mouse pointer has been loaded.  However, this
> does end up needlessly loading the lots of code into precious chip
> RAM.  It's better to fix the executable.

exactly, I like to run BOP whilst doing other things ( although because
it does some rather silly busy waits somewhere in there, this means a
LOT of twiddling with TaskX :-). Running nofastmem means a lot more
code is forced into chipmem than is necessary, which is not a good
idea on a very limited resource like chipmem. Using fixhunk means
that only _necessary_ data will be in chip.

Of course, you could just take the easy solution and get BOP 1990
( it doesn't have the mouse problem, plus it multi-tasks better )

brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) (10/26/90)

In article <4464@swi.swi.psy.uva.nl> leeuw@thoff.fwi.uva.nl (Leeuw Jacco de) writes:

>A friend of mine recently bought Balance of Power (not the 1990 Edition).
>He noticed that there is no mouse pointer when the B.O.P screen is active.
>Now he has to click on the WB screen to make the pointer visible and then
>switch to the B.O.P screen. This is no fun, you can understand that...
>So, is this 'feature' a bug? What can he do about it?

  ... I had this problem on my 2000 (3 Meg). It went away when I ran
NoFastMem (WB 1.3 disk) first. Yet another dunderhead programmer who did
not follow the rules of the road....

  Brian Bishop

-----

Disclaimer: I only make Unix dunderhead programmer mistakes :-(

I suppose, at times I could be considered an agent of Zyga Corporation.