[comp.sys.amiga.games] Amiga Games

jhd@well.sf.ca.us (John Danielson) (10/29/90)

   I've been an Amiga owner for a while now.  I've purchased a few games
for it, and so far there have been more slag than winners.  I just bought
Matrix Marauders by Psygnosis last week, and right now it's in the slag
pile.  I'm getting sick of shelling out 30 - 40 dollars just to get
disappointed.  The games I've purchased so far are:

   Falcon - Good game, playable (though I wish head-head over modem was fast
   Wings - I also like this game.  A bit slow with only 2 floppies, but it
           keeps me occupied.
   Dragonstrike - Good concept, but they really didn't pull it off.  Too slow
        for no good reason.
      688 Attack Sub - Yawn
    ^?Stunt Track Racer - It's ok, playable, but it could use some more work.
    Future Classics - package of 5 games.  remedial.
    Matrix Marauders - Poor documentation, I don't want to waste my time
                       trying to guess how the games work.

   I'm more into the arcade type of games, if anyone can point me to some
games that
   1) are playable, interesting
   2) takes advantage of the Amigas power.  I didn't by an Amiga to play
      PC-quality games.

   I really do like my Amiga.  But these companies have to give me some
value for my money.  I'm not against paying for a good game, but I really
hate spending any amount on something that just frustrates me.

    Does anyone know if the upcoming "Knights of the Sky" by Microprose
will have a modem link?

--
    John Danielson            jhd@well.sf.ca.us

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (10/29/90)

In article <21397@well.sf.ca.us> jhd@well.sf.ca.us (John Danielson) writes:

>   I'm more into the arcade type of games, if anyone can point me to some
>games that
>   1) are playable, interesting
>   2) takes advantage of the Amigas power.  I didn't by an Amiga to play
>      PC-quality games.
>--
>    John Danielson            jhd@well.sf.ca.us

Maybe we should make this a monthly post or something.  There are a number
of great arcade-style games for the Amiga which blow away anything that
a PeeCee can do.  While PeeCees now have improved color and resolution, they
still can't touch Amigas when it comes to FAST motion and animation.  Some
of my personal favorite arcade games for Amy are (in no particular order):
	Blood Money (Psygnosis)
	Anarchy (Psygnosis)
	Turrican (...I forget!)
	New York Warriors (..ditto)

Unlike others here, I also have enjoyed Shadow of the Beast I & II - the
graphics and sound are stunning and the game plays extremely fast, but it
is *too* demanding for a lot of people.  How did you manage to buy Matrix
Marauders versus one of the other Psygnosis titles?  MM is one of the
worst Psygnosis offerings in the last year....

One other note - I like the Readysoft Dragon's Lair series as well, but this
is the type of game you either love or hate.  Running from a hard disk, the
graphics and speed alone make it worth the investment to me...

| Brian Pelletier            Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.|
| Sky Computer                                                            |
| UUCP - brian@sky.com (work)   pelletier@grove.UUCP (home)               |

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/30/90)

In article <742@sky.COM> brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) writes:
>Maybe we should make this a monthly post or something.  There are a number
>of great arcade-style games for the Amiga which blow away anything that
>a PeeCee can do.  While PeeCees now have improved color and resolution, they

This has been recommended before, but...

If you do this, please reserve columns for things such as:
1) What machines DOESN'T it work on ? - as in: SBeast & SBeastII don't work on my A1000
2) What type of copy-protection?
3) HD installable?

Any other requirements, etc.
Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        "Well... can't you get a Novell card for your Cray ?"

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (10/31/90)

In article <29075@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <742@sky.COM> brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) writes:
>>Maybe we should make this a monthly post or something.  There are a number
>
>This has been recommended before, but...
>
>If you do this, please reserve columns for things such as:
>1) What machines DOESN'T it work on ? - as in: SBeast & SBeastII don't work on my A1000

Difficult.  I only have an A2000.  Should I refrain from posting anything
until I've acquired all possible hardware configurations? :-)  BTW - Beast I
worked fine on my old A1000, and Beast II works fine on a friend's A1000.

>2) What type of copy-protection?

This is reasonable.  Especially considering the nasty disk-gronking methods
common on arcade-type games.

>3) HD installable?

Ditto...

Wasn't someone compiling a list of games that worked on the A3000?  Perhaps
that can be expanded/enhanced to address some of the issues mentioned above.