[comp.sys.amiga.games] F-18 question

rhhageme@eos.ncsu.edu (RICHARD HERM HAGEMEYER) (10/31/90)

I have a question.  On F-18, when it says enter starting location (in
the training mission, for example) the options are 1,2,etc.  Well, I hit
0, and it sent me someplace inland.  What is this?  Do I get anything
special.  I took off and nothing special happened.  Did I just not wait
long enough?  Any help would be appreciated.

						Thanx,
						Richard Hagemeyer

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.212812.19989@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, rhhageme@eos.ncsu.edu
(RICHARD HERM HAGEMEYER) says:

>I have a question.  On F-18, when it says enter starting location (in
>the training mission, for example) the options are 1,2,etc.  Well, I hit
>0, and it sent me someplace inland.  What is this?  Do I get anything
>special.  I took off and nothing special happened.  Did I just not wait
>long enough?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>                                                Thanx,
>                                                Richard Hagemeyer

I recall reading that in the real world, this is the location of an F-18
testing range. Possibly EA intended to put an extra airfield here, but
never got around to it; possibly they used the area to test the simulator,
and removed whatever buildings and things that might have been there
before releasing F-18. Anyway, as far as anyone knows there's nothing
special anywhere near there.

/Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu\
|DISCLAIMER? You've GOT to be kidding, right?           ||   // AMIGA   ||  |
|   "Haven't they heard we won the war?                 || \X/  Power   ||  |
\== "What do they keep on fighting for?" -- B. Joel, LENINGRAD =============/

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (11/01/90)

rhhageme@eos.ncsu.edu (RICHARD HERM HAGEMEYER) writes:

>I have a question.  On F-18, when it says enter starting location (in
>the training mission, for example) the options are 1,2,etc.  Well, I hit
>0, and it sent me someplace inland.  What is this?  Do I get anything
>special.  I took off and nothing special happened.  Did I just not wait
>long enough?  Any help would be appreciated.

>						Thanx,
>						Richard Hagemeyer

Supposedly, those coordinates are the actual testing site of the F-18 craft.
Or so I am told.

Jeff
| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu             These opinions are mine, that's all.|

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (11/01/90)

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:

>rhhageme@eos.ncsu.edu (RICHARD HERM HAGEMEYER) writes:

>>I have a question.  On F-18, when it says enter starting location (in
>>the training mission, for example) the options are 1,2,etc.  Well, I hit
>>0, and it sent me someplace inland.  What is this?  Do I get anything
>>special.  I took off and nothing special happened.  Did I just not wait
>>long enough?  Any help would be appreciated.

>>						Thanx,
>>						Richard Hagemeyer

You can do something wich is quite fun actually. Press 0 as a starting
location (or 5 to 9 'cause they are also defined), anyway choose the one
which is the most near the border of the Map. Then take off and fly in on
the border of the map (try to come in on a 90 degrees angle with the
imaginary map limit). When you reach the limit your plane won't go any
further, that is, the background won't move any further. Now comes the fun
part. Switch to rear outside view and fly close to the ground. Since the
computer does not have to bother with background calculations, your plane
will move and feel very fast. You can take off like a chopper with full
afterburners. Well, play and experiment with it, you can do lot's of
things. (flying next to your missiles is fun).