[comp.sys.amiga.games] M1 Tank Platoon, and sound quality

hounsell@chekov.UU.NET (Rob Hounsell) (10/16/90)

  I picked up M1 Abrams Tank Platoon (Microprose) last week. I had been waiting
for 6 months for them to port it to the Amiga.

  It's fun, and definitely has its good points. However, I was disappointed
with the quality of the sound effects that went into it. Almost all sound
effects (tracks squeaking, turret motors, etc.) are "simulated" using simple
sounds. Heck, even Arctic Fox had what seemed like digitized samples of treads
creaking, motors, etc.

  Granted, maybe they just didn't have the room (you have to disconnect the
external drive if you have a 512K machine).

  I'll have to play it some more to get a better feel for it, and report later.
Anyone else tried it out??

  B.T.W. I'm running a LUCAS board (no expanded memory yet) at 16MHz.

Rob

|  Rob Hounsell                      |                                        |
|  UUNET:  ...!chekov!hounsell       |  "You guys start coding, and I'll go   |
|  BNR WAN:  hounsell@nmerh4         |   see what it is they need."           |
|  PHONE: (613) 765-2904             |                                        |
|  ESN: 395-2904                     |   Anon.                                |

wbt@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (10/19/90)

In article <3461@bnr-rsc.UUCP>, hounsell@chekov.UU.NET (Rob Hounsell) writes:

> I picked up M1 Abrams Tank Platoon (Microprose) last week. I had been waiting
> for 6 months for them to port it to the Amiga.

Upon reading this I rushed to my dealer and bought a copy last night.

>   It's fun, and definitely has its good points. However, I was disappointed
> with the quality of the sound effects that went into it. Almost all sound
> effects (tracks squeaking, turret motors, etc.) are "simulated" using simple
> sounds. Heck, even Arctic Fox had what seemed like digitized samples of treads
> creaking, motors, etc.

Quite agreed!   Plus, the game comes with a keyboard for the A2000 that
doesn't fit.   But the sound effects are really unforgiveable.  For that
matter, the visual effects (explosions and gunfire) are nothing to write
home (or Usenet 8-) about, either.

Tactically, though, it looks great, and I have a feeling I'll blow
many hours behind the gunsights on this one.

In an out-and-out splurge of gratuitious gaming gluttony, I also picked up
Wings.  At first glance, I was disappointed, but it's not as easy as it
looks.  I was pleased that the game would return cleanly to workbench,
and displeased that the hard-disk install script was so buggy.  (It
tries to create ram:T as a working directory... if you (like I) already
*have* that directory, you're hosed, the script fails, etc.  Further,
the silly thing can't be executed from CLI, apparently, so I had to load
Workbench just to get the silly thing going.  Haven't tried to run the game
itself from CLI yet.)

M1 Tank Platoon, at least, is fully accessible from CLI.  It, too, installs
on a hard disk.  I haven't exited yet so I can't tell you if it does so
cleanly. 8-)

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com
	"C" combines the power of assembly language with the
		flexibility of assembly language.

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct19.152405.7791@cbnews.att.com>, wbt@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) writes...

>In an out-and-out splurge of gratuitious gaming gluttony, I also picked up
>Wings.  At first glance, I was disappointed, but it's not as easy as it
>looks.  I was pleased that the game would return cleanly to workbench,
>and displeased that the hard-disk install script was so buggy.  (It
>tries to create ram:T as a working directory... if you (like I) already
>*have* that directory, you're hosed, the script fails, etc.  Further,
>the silly thing can't be executed from CLI, apparently, so I had to load
>Workbench just to get the silly thing going.  Haven't tried to run the game
>itself from CLI yet.)

I had no problems running the install from the CLI (even though I don't
have a hard disk, go figure). The game runs from CLI if you use the
LAUNCH. I haven't tried just running it. If you have 3 megs of ram, I
suggest hacking up the startup-sequence to load the whole shebang into
ram:, it makes the game just bearably quick enough to play. We had
started playing it from floppy, but that was quickly abandoned as
glacial.

As for its difficulty, one guy racked up 72 kills the first day he
played (in one game). I'm not nearly that good.

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi      DoD #00000064 (no ints here)   |

felixh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) (10/22/90)

fit, mine works fine.  Are you sure you're not using the A1000 overlay?
Perhaps your package was missing the A2000 overlay.  Finally, this is
really dumb of me to suggest, but did you cut out all those little squares
that allow the ESC, DEL, HELP, and arrow keys to poke through?  Of course
you did, I shouldn't even ask.

wbt@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct21.212417.29583@agate.berkeley.edu>, felixh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) writes:

> fit, mine works fine.  Are you sure you're not using the A1000 overlay?

Yes. The overlay says its for the 2000 and 500.  The problem is that I had
to cut out some material at the lower corners of the hole for the main
keyboard, and remove a web that was supposed to run in the gap between the
PF keys.  After all that, the labels over the PF keys don't align with
the correct keys.

Is it possible I have an old version of the A2000 keyboard ?  Have
there been any changes to its design ?

Seriously; has nobody else encountered this problem ?

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker	AT&T Network Systems - Columbus		wbt@cbnews.att.com
                        Free the Lagrange 5 !

wulfgar@jwprod.UUCP (Wulfgar (Tribe of the Elk)) writes:

>>game soundtracks.  Advertisers even *boasted* the amount of digitized
>>sounds in their games.  I always thought that a few tastefully done
>Yeah, Shadow of the Beast II would be a one disk game without that intro-anim
>and sound.

Yeah! Who needs digitized sounds? I think the little beep beep speaker in
an IBM PC is just fine. matter of fact Who Needs Sounds at all?

And animation. Who needs it? I bet if all the developers dropped all the
sound and fancy graphics from the games, the games would only take up
64K. Just like the c64 and atari 800XL. That's what we need! More C64
like games with C64 graphics and C64 sound! Just because an Amiga has
512K of memory or more is no reason to use it all. Then we would have
more room to multitask more games.

:-} [sorry, I couldn't resist]
--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

In article <1990Oct25.144608.29443@cbnews.att.com> wbt@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) writes:
>In article <1990Oct21.212417.29583@agate.berkeley.edu>, felixh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) writes:

>> fit, mine works fine.  Are you sure you're not using the A1000 overlay?

>Is it possible I have an old version of the A2000 keyboard ?  Have
>there been any changes to its design ?

	You have a "small f-key" A2000 keyboard, otherwise known as a Cherry
keyboard.  This was shipped with earlier A2000's, before we switched to the
HiTek keyboard used for the current A2000's and A3000's (which has "big
fkeys").

	I'm not suprised they only shipped with two (A2000/A1000) they did,
since every overlay costs $.  As you said, it's easily adaptable.  You should
see what the poor IBM types have to do with the plethora of keyboards they have.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"