[comp.sys.amiga.games] Amiga Games - What's Playable & fun

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) (10/31/90)

I've also gotten pissed off at shelling out money for games
taht are too hard, poorly documented, or just boring.  I
can recommend, but not rave about, the following arcade type
games (they're all old, cause I've stopped buying games for awhile):

1.  Menace.  You fly a ship and shoot at things in front of you.
It seems to me that the point of the game is trying to time the
bonuses you pick up so you have new weapons and a force field shield
before you kill the mega-monster on each level.  I've probably played
200 games, and never got past the 5th (of 6) levels.

2.  Virus.  A vector graphics game where you fly a hovercraft around
and shoot up or get shot up by enemy flying things.  I love the graphics,
but none of my friends were too impressed by it.

Recently, I've been trying to get into Carrier Command.  It has a lot
more to it than a typical arcade game; the instructions are about 30
pages long and you need them.  I can't wipe out the first enemy island
I encounter in the Action Game, though.  It seems to me like to take out
a lot of the installations you'd be best off if you could attack with
two of the aircraft at once.  Anyone have any general notes on the strategy
for the arcade-type parts of this game, and comments about the overall
playability of the strategy game?

I've also been trying to play BAAL, and it seems to me to be tough and
not very rewarding.  Did anyone have any fun with this one?  It seemed
like a popular game.

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (10/31/90)

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>In article <1990Oct30.190133.3204@world.std.com>, levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) writes:

>> 2.  Virus.  A vector graphics game where you fly a hovercraft around
>> and shoot up or get shot up by enemy flying things.  I love the graphics,
>> but none of my friends were too impressed by it.
I like this game also, But no one else likes it around here.
the "View port" could be better, it's dang nere impossible to tell if
a ship is in front of ya or behind ya till it passes by/through/over.

ever seen a BIG fish eat a little fish? We freaked out when we saw that.
>> Recently, I've been trying to get into Carrier Command.  It has a lot
>> pages long and you need them.  I can't wipe out the first enemy island

I get the carrier to back up toward the island and use the
carrier missles to Blast it!

>I've played Carrier Command several times and I still haven't been able
>Island swiftly send in a Manta loaded with missiles.  Find the main
>installation that looks like a trapezoidial box shape.  This controls
>what kind of an island it will be.  Nail it with 4 missiles and it should
>be destroyed, thereby freeing the island from enemy control and allowing

Well I never manage to Smash the thing this way. Ya have to know that
the "buildings" rebuild over time.
--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (10/31/90)

In Message-ID: <26385.272d9f50@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>
          2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu said:
>[...]
>The problem with this game is that the computer is TOO fast!  His Carrier
>moves as fast as a Manta does.  So while you are plodding on to the next
>island to conquer, he swings around right behind you and conquers the island
>you just left!  I've tried variational strategies, like leaving a Manta
>behind on the runway (equipped with a long range pod + 4 missiles).  So
>when he shows up when my carrier leaves I can blast him.  But after you
>put four missiles in him he runs (and sometimes outruns the missiles!)
>
>Any Carrier Command Commandos care to comment? (geez...too many c's in there)

You have to anticipate where the enemy will go next and go there or station
Manta(s) there.  My friend and I destroyed the enemy Carrier (actually, we
took over Nemesis and the island destroyed the enemy when he tried to
take it back :-) so it is not impossible.  I'm afraid I am quite sick of
the game.  However, use the long-range pod to station 1-4 Mantas and 1-4
Walruses away from the carrier.  As long as the Manta holding the POD is
alive and the others stay within 20km or so from him, everything'll be fine.
This opens the doors for some really convoluted raids and assaults by
Mantas+Walruses without the help of the carrier.  Get creative!  :-)

>David Poland
>2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #23: Drive without brake lights.                   |
| (Light deactivation method is unimportant; just try to appear oblivious.) |

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/01/90)

In article <901030.222304.CDT.C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>, C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:
> the game.  However, use the long-range pod to station 1-4 Mantas and 1-4
> Walruses away from the carrier.  As long as the Manta holding the POD is
> alive and the others stay within 20km or so from him, everything'll be fine.

> | Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
> | COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #23: Drive without brake lights.                   |
> | (Light deactivation method is unimportant; just try to appear oblivious.) |

I thought you could only equip ONE Manta with a long range pod.  If I try
to launch more than one it says Long Range Pod already in use.  Is there
some way to change to long range frequencies or something?

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (11/01/90)

In Message-ID: <26418.272eb887@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>
          2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu said:
>I thought you could only equip ONE Manta with a long range pod.  If I try
>to launch more than one it says Long Range Pod already in use.  Is there
>some way to change to long range frequencies or something?

You misunderstand.  Give *one* Manta a POD.  Equip other Mantas/Walruses for
your special 'away from carrier' mission.  Launch Manta with POD and other
Mantas/Walruses.  Use the programmable courses and autopilot to coordinate
where the buggers end up so you don't have to jump from control of one to
control of another.  Getting the right Mantas/Walruses launched in the
right order to the right target destinations takes a bit of planning.
Anyway, the key point here is this:

Mantas and Walruses can operate only within about 20km of the carrier *OR*
the Manta with the long-range POD.  Check the manual for exact ranges.
Hence, as long as the Manta with the POD is kept alive, any Mantas or
Walruses within range of him will stay alive as well.  As you well know,
if Mantas/Walruses get *out* of range of the carrier or the POD-equipped
Manta, they self-destruct.

The above method takes a bit of work... it would be nice if you *could*
have more than one LR POD, but you can't.  Alas...

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) (11/04/90)

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) writes:

> I've also been trying to play BAAL, and it seems to me to be tough and
> not very rewarding.  Did anyone have any fun with this one?  It seemed
> like a popular game.

I've been trying BAAL too, with very limited success - I've no clue...  Tell
me if you figure anything out...  Looks good, but can
't get anywhere at all...