[comp.sys.amiga.games] 688 Attack Sub: Why not modem support?

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (10/20/90)

I was VERY dissappointed when I noticed that the Amiga version of 688 Attack
Sub does not have the modem play option... Does anyone know, why EA left this
possibility out? The PC version has that option, so why not Amiga version???

felixh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) (10/22/90)

  I too was disappointed with the lack of modem support. About the only
thing I can offer is that I remember reading on GEnie that the PC's modem
play option didn't really work.
  As it stands, I would much rather play Red Storm Rising.  It may not have
all those neat ship and whale sounds, nor pretty graphics through the
periscope, but the simulation is much more realistic.  I mean, it's one
thing to give all torpedoes, whether helo-dropped Mk46 or tube-launched
wire-guided Mk48 the same 10-mile range.  That's pretty bad, but you can
say "all right, if that's what it takes to play better/faster, maybe
that's OK."  What's not OK is the stupid way that sonar performance
drops off to the rear when using the towed array.  The whole point
(or at least one point) of using such a towed sonar array is to be
able to hear behind the submarine.  This part of the game makes
relistic tactics unusable.  You can't hang back, track the contact
for a while, figure out what it is, and proceed.  In the game you HAVE
to point your nose at him, thus closing all the time.  At that time
his buddy could come up behind you, and you'll never hear him.  As I said,
give me RSR over 688 anyday.  It even gets those oh-so-difficult to
program torpedo ranges right.

paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct21.214110.713@agate.berkeley.edu> felixh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) writes:

>  I too was disappointed with the lack of modem support. About the only
>thing I can offer is that I remember reading on GEnie that the PC's modem
>play option didn't really work.

   The PC`s modem option can be a trick to setup, but it works just fine.
I've played head-to-head with it several times, and it is far better than
playing against the computer.

--
Greg Paul                | Electrical/Computer Engineer in search of a job..
paulg@frith.egr.msu.edu  |

felixh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct22.150412.27461@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) writes:
>In article <1990Oct21.214110.713@agate.berkeley.edu> felixh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) writes:
>>
>>  I too was disappointed with the lack of modem support. About the only
>>thing I can offer is that I remember reading on GEnie that the PC's modem
>>play option didn't really work.
>
>   The PC`s modem option can be a trick to setup, but it works just fine.
>I've played head-to-head with it several times, and it is far better than
>playing against the computer.

  Well, that pisses me off.  EA screws Amiga users again.  It's not as if
the Amiga has trouble playing head-to-head over the modem (or with a null
modem cable).  Look at Stunt Track Racer, F16 Combat Pilot, Falcon, and
Populous for examples.  I guess this sort of stuff is just typical of EA.
They port the game to the Amiga and make no effort to even include all
the original features that could easily have been included.

dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) (10/27/90)

I have seen postings questioning the integrity/competence of
Electronic Arts for releasing the Amiga version of "688 Attack Sub"
without functional modem support.  It's much worse than that!!  EA
has shown complete contempt for Amiga owners.

Those who have tried to be the "Alfa" commander have noticed that
the indicators on several control panels don't work.  EA KNEW THIS
BEFORE THE RELEASE!  They put a "cute" note that the "Central Committee"
had been notified in the Amiga add-on instruction card.  This is
completely unprofessional.

But, for the first time, I happened to try the game on a completely
unexpanded machine.  There are sounds that I have never heard before.
Nice sounds that would add enjoyment, if I could get them on my machine.
The (alleged) programmers forgot to specify CHIP RAM for the sound
samples.  So, on a machine with only 512k of CHIP RAM, but any expansion
RAM, you never hear them.  And the game is so busy loading overlay
pictures, etc, that, after a while, it loses the sounds.  I know that
I could run NOFASTMEM, or some such kludge, but I would have to reboot,
and this game is SUPPOSED to be hard disk compatible.  On top of which,
the overlay loading takes so long, that control is hampered.

I would have expected reviewers to mention these types of deficiencies,
but that's a different problem.

The marketing dweeb who probably made the decision to ship this
seriously defective "product" should be fired, never to work again.
Probably got a raise.  I sincerely hope the "porters" who kludged
this thing together never work again, either.  If I ever find who
they are, I know I'll never buy anything they've been involved in.
Their lack of integrity and/or skill scares me too much.  And the
QA people? should be ashamed of themselves.

And, yes, I did call them before writing this.  They don't care.
No update is planned.

This is not the first time EA has dumped on the Amiga community.  We
all wanted "Star Flight" for ages.  Then, when it was released, long
after the PC types had solved the puzzle, we got shown a kludge that
didn't take any advantage of the Amiga.  If all I wanted was STUPID,
SLOW, UGLY games, I'd have a PC.  I kept my money.  I guess I should
have known better this time, but I won't be fooled again (apologies,
Pete).

I'm not ready to suggest a complete EA boycott, since there seem to
be different groups, with different standards, within the company.
However, I suggest we all think REAL hard before buying an EA game.
As long as we buy them broken, unscrupulous companies will sell them
that way.  Also, make your displeasure known to EA.  Call them!
--

* Dan Taylor    * The opinions expressed are my own, and in no way *
* dlt@locus.com * reflect those of Locus Computing Corporation.    *

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct22.192858.1820@agate.berkeley.edu> felixh@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) writes:
>  Well, that pisses me off.  EA screws Amiga users again.  It's not as if
>.....  I guess this sort of stuff is just typical of EA.
>They port the game to the Amiga and make no effort to even include all
>the original features that could easily have been included.

I think you're all laboring under a misconception:  that EA is involved
in any way with the design or coding of the games they sell.  EA is
simply a disk duplicating, packaging, and marketing service.  The actual
authors are each unique, and apparently retain (or burn) the sources.
EA can't even fix bugs, let alone control the niceties..

 The above near-hearsay is based on a presentation one of EA's marketing
 reps gave our local users group last year.  People wanted to know things
 like, "Why can't you produce a 500/2000-compatible version of Archon".
 Answer: "Shoot! - we didn't even produce the *1000-compatible* version."

Brian Rhodefer

felixh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) (11/02/90)

  The fact that EA didn't actually program 688 or Starflight itself does
not in any way excuse them.  They are responsible for the quality of the
software released under their label.  Period.
  If I were running a company that solicited outside designs and packaged/
distributed them, I'd insist on the following points in my contracts
with the programmers:

  - No direct ROM calls which are incompatible with OS upgrades (like the
     original Ferrari Formula 1, or Archon and SkyFox)

  - Compatibility with Fatter Agnus/1 Meg Chip RAM

  - Compatibility (or even enhanced play) with 68020/68030

  - Compatibility with Fast RAM

  - The programmer must fix documented bugs or provide the source so they
     can be fixed by someone else.

  - No on-disk copy protection; hard disk installation would be nice

  - Ports of software from other machines must function in substantially
    the same way they originally did; no dropping modem support for no reason.

  Well, I'm not EA and don't know what their business practices are.  But
 I would be very skeptical of any claims that the above list contains un-
reasonable requirements.
  BTW, after experimenting I managed to install Starflight to HD, you have
to use NewZap to change references to the original floppy, as well as run
SetAmiga with Starflight's system-configuration to get the mouse pointer's
color right.

UD118950@NDSUVM1.BITNET (11/04/90)

  I am all-in-all disgusted with EA at this point.

  I received 688 as a family present, only to attempt to boot it and get
nothing.  I was considering sending it back to get a working copy, but I
finally saw a copy in action.
  Sorry, guys, it ain't worth my time.

  Neat patch, though...
Tony Bruno ud118950                    "c'mon, Mav, do some of that
University of North Dakota               pilot sh*t..."
Grand Forks, ND                          --Goose, _top Gun_