[comp.sys.amiga.games] PD version of Star Trek, the Game

kenward@fornax.UUCP (Kenward Chin) (11/01/90)

Does anyone know if you can run the PD version of Star Trek (by Jimbo Barber)
on a system with just one floppy?  I read in the latest Amiga World that this
program, Star Trek: The Game is the _best_ new PD game around.

Any help or comments?

--
Disclaimer: Since transmission of this article is by imperfect methods, there
	    may well be discrepancies between what is above and what was

judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Stephen Judd) (11/02/90)

In article <1514@fornax.UUCP> kenward@fornax.UUCP (Kenward Chin) writes:
>Does anyone know if you can run the PD version of Star Trek (by Jimbo Barber)
>on a system with just one floppy?  I read in the latest Amiga World that this
>program, Star Trek: The Game is the _best_ new PD game around.

I think you can.  But, on a realted note, has anybody gotten this to work on
a 1 meg Amiga via hard drive?  Even with a non-interlaced screen with minimal
stuff started (assigns, etc) it locks up when I dock with a Starbase.  This
is one of the first shareware games that I find myself wanting to keep around
and sending some money to Jimbo for his terrific efforts.  I'd appreciate any
suggestions.

BTW - It's not new.  I remember seeing it on GEnie almost two years ago.  It's
still excellent, though.

					-Steve
--
judd@tramp.colorado.edu         //  Amiga - Better than sex.
...!ncar!boulder!tramp!judd   \X/

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (11/03/90)

kenward@fornax.UUCP (Kenward Chin) writes:

>Does anyone know if you can run the PD version of Star Trek (by Jimbo Barber)
>on a system with just one floppy?  I read in the latest Amiga World that this
>program, Star Trek: The Game is the _best_ new PD game around.

I respect the authors work on this project, and I am sure that he deserves
much more than $5.00/person in shareware fees, but this game is NOT anywhere
near the best PD game around.

The game runs slowly, you cannot control important elements of the game
(i.e. power consumption, course plotting, communications, etc.).  Basically,
you fly from one spot to another, occasionaly fighting an enemy Klingon.

I don't mean to flame, but I spent around $18.00 in transfer fees on
this huge program (the archive was over 1MEG), only to find that 400K
of the archive is a digitized sound sample (the intro), and that the
game wasn't really that interesting.  If you can get it for free, by
all means get it; if you must pay, dont bother.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

James_R_Barber@cup.portal.com (11/03/90)

The first version I released had a lock-up problem on A1000 that DON'T have
internal expansion memory.  It seems that A1000's WITH internal memory
expansion and all A500's, A2000's and A3000's have a little bit more CHIP
RAM availathan an A1000 WITHOUT internal memory expansion (for some
reason I'm not aware of).  Anyway, the game locks-up because the StarBase
graphic is just a little too large for these particular machines (not enough
CHIP RAM).  I released a small fix file (the next day I think) that has
a smaller StarBase graphic and works ok on these machines.  I know this fix
file is on Plink (I put it there), and I image everywhere else the game is
found.  Oh, and I wrote the thing almost three years ago now...  My, how time
flies...  :^)

Jimbo Barber

mmccarth@ub.d.umn.edu (Mark McCarthy) (11/03/90)

In article <1514@fornax.UUCP> kenward@fornax.UUCP (Kenward Chin) writes:
>Does anyone know if you can run the PD version of Star Trek (by Jimbo Barber)
>on a system with just one floppy?  I read in the latest Amiga World that this
>program, Star Trek: The Game is the _best_ new PD game around.
>
>Any help or comments?

Well, as far as I can tell, it will not run on a single drive system.
According to its documentation, you must have a meg of RAM and 2 drives.(And
NOTHING else running....)  It is however, a well-done game.(Good intro!)

Mark

judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Stephen Judd) (11/05/90)

In article <35520@cup.portal.com> James_R_Barber@cup.portal.com writes:
>CHIP RAM).  I released a small fix file (the next day I think) that has
>a smaller StarBase graphic and works ok on these machines.  I know this fix

Could somebody point me towards an FTP site with this file?  Or possibly
email it to me?  'Preciate it.

>Jimbo Barber

					-Steve
--
judd@tramp.colorado.edu        // 'Tis better to be pissed off, then pissed on.
...!ncar!boulder!tramp!judd  \X/          - The Purple Sage (I think)