[comp.sys.amiga.games] Battle Squadron

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (08/15/90)

While at Software Etc the other day, I noticed the game "Battle
Squadron" on sale for $9.95. I picked it up, figuring that for that
much money I would risk it sight unseen. THIS IS A GOOD GAME! The game
apparently was developed as an arcade game because it even still has
the "CREDITS" listed in the bottom corner. I do not remember seeing
this as an arcade game, but then again it has been some time since I
was in an arcade. The graphics are great, the game play is TOUGH, and
even the sound is quite good. If you can find it for this much (or
even a little more) and you like space arcade games (it is like
Xevious which I have not seen for some time), buy it!

I alse picked up "Platoon" for $5.95 and I wish I hadn't. The fact
that this game EVER sold for the $30+ list price amazes me. Anyway,
off to play some Dungeon Master - and maybe do some real work too.

Peter Kovach

Sig - We don't need no stinking sig!

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (09/27/90)

All,
   Anyone out their played Battle Squadron?  It's a damn hard game.  I heard
that there was a cheat mode in it, similar to the one in Hybris.  Anyone know
know anything about it?  If so, how do you do it?

                                       Thanx,
				       Scott
			V092MGP5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
     		        |      |
			--------
			   Wish I knew how to change that....

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (09/28/90)

In article <37744@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
(Scott K Wood) writes:
> All,
>    Anyone out their played Battle Squadron?  It's a damn hard game.  I heard
> that there was a cheat mode in it, similar to the one in Hybris.  Anyone know
> know anything about it?  If so, how do you do it?

You don't need a cheat game to finish Battle Squadron. It's an easy game. I've
finished it many times with one friend. You must stay on the surface for two
loops, and get the orange weapon to its full power. Then enter the first level
(The one with the orange eagles), if you've got full weapons, it should be
very easy to pass this level. Then, enter the third level (The one with the
big holes), again, with full weapons, it should be easy. For the second level
(the one with the small green aliens) you need one player with blue weapons in
order to kill ennemies coming from the bottom of the screen. WIth a little of
practice, it's possible to finish also this one.
By the way, use the nova missiles a lot !!!
YOU CANNOT FINISH THE GAME IN THE ONE PLAYER MODE !!!
Here are several way to cheat:

1) Hit the space bar when the main page in on the screen (The one where you
choose 1 or 2 players, mouse or joystick...). This will bring a menu with
options for reconfiguring the game (speed of bullet ennemies, number of lives,
so on...)

2) While playing the game, type 'CASTOR' for invulnerability.
Also, if you type 'ELECTRONIC' on the title page, you have access
to a cheat mode that lets you edit game options.

ovb10@erato.cs.kun.nl (ovb cursus) (09/28/90)

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:

>All,
>   Anyone out their played Battle Squadron?  It's a damn hard game.

Yep. Great game, tough, but a bit of practise should do. However, to
make things easy, a trainer is included in the game. Press <SPACE> in
the title screen to get into the setup menu. (If you still have to do
this after about 20 games, you're a whimp ;-)

>                                                                    I heard
>that there was a cheat mode in it, similar to the one in Hybris.  Anyone know
>know anything about it?  If so, how do you do it?

Aha, the cheat mode. Well, the cheat mode ain't no fun, since all you got
to do is go to the toilet and wait until you reached the big bad guy at the
end of the level and shoot him. However, if you still want to enter it,
just type "CASTOR" while you are playing. The screen will flash green to
signal that you've just entered the only-for-the-totally-brainless-nerds mode.

>                                       Thanx,
>				       Scott

My pleasure,
          Patrick

+----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Patrick Atoon             |   "Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah, boooooooyyyyeeeeee!"  |
|  University of Nijmegen    |          - Flavor Flav (Public Enemy)     |
|  E-mail: ovb10@cs.kun.nl   |                                           |
+----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  I'm a student, therefore my opinion is to be ignored                  |

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Diogenes) (09/30/90)

Hey Scott - a friend and I have been playing Battle Squadron for some time
now, and have managed to win several times without the cheat mode -
practice!!!  But if you just want to know the Cheat mode - type CASTOR at
the main prompt, and you'll be invincible...

rb4572@leah.Albany.Edu (Whitesnake) (10/01/90)

My friends and I have played Battle Squadron probably hundreds of times,
yet I have never noticed that there is any set pattern of inner levels -
that is, when you "Enter Here", it just picks one at random... at least,
that's what I always thought.  Can you enter a SPECIFIC inner level some
way?  Thanks.

--
<=-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-~-=-~-/-_-=-_-\-=>
{ Ron Bangel Computing Services Center State University of New York at Albany }

mgemmel@cs.vu.nl (Martin Gemmel) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep27.091151@sardaigne.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
>In article <37744@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
>(Scott K Wood) writes:
>> All,
>>    Anyone out their played Battle Squadron?  It's a damn hard game.

>YOU CANNOT FINISH THE GAME IN THE ONE PLAYER MODE !!!

Wrong! You can. I could.

--
Martin

cadp16@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (10/02/90)

In article <37744@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:
With reference to -

>    Anyone out their played Battle Squadron?  It's a damn hard game.  I heard
> that there was a cheat mode in it, similar to the one in Hybris.  Anyone know
> know anything about it?  If so, how do you do it?
>
>                                        Thanx,
> 				       Scott

	I've played it and the only cheat mode I know of is pressing the space
bar on the title screen, allowing you to change number of lives, bullet type,
alien bullet speed,alien bullet frequency(I think) and maybe something else as
well.
	Hope this is useful...

	Electric Monk~~~
	(We've all got silly names in Scotland...)

Patrick Atoon (10/02/90)

rb4572@leah.Albany.Edu (Whitesnake) writes:

>My friends and I have played Battle Squadron probably hundreds of times,
>yet I have never noticed that there is any set pattern of inner levels -
>that is, when you "Enter Here", it just picks one at random... at least,
>that's what I always thought.  Can you enter a SPECIFIC inner level some
>way?  Thanks.

Random???? No no no. Take a good look. The upper level is divided into four
separate levels (with an "Enter Here" between them). After you've flown past
the fourth upper landscape, you'll find yourself back in the first. Now every
upper landscape has it's own "Enter Here" lower landscape with it.
That means: after scape 1 on the upper side, if you enter "enter Here", you'll
enter in scape 1 of the under world.
I think you should have noticed this if you played it HUNDREDS of times.
By the way, I think the third underworld (with all those green buildings and
ships coming from behind) is the hardest part.

Blast 'em!
        Tricky
| Patrick Atoon           |  See y'all at Amiga'90 in Koeln (Germany)      |
| University of Nijmegen  |  on 8,9,10,11 november. Be there or be square. |
| E-mail: ovb10@cs.kun.nl |                                                |

kiniry@gauss.Berkeley.EDU (Joe Kiniry) (10/03/90)

All this talk about Battle Squadron, I thought I'd stick in a few hints.
First, don't use the cheat mode, it is very boring and you have to reboot
your machine to start over (you can't die, period!).  Second, the inner
levels are set, the first is the level with the 'flying eagles' as I have
heard them called and the large grey installations with may rotating cannon.
The second level is the one with the green towers, it is the hardest to get
through, but the end is the easiest of the levels (two smart bombs when the
doors of the 'monster' are *open* kill it).  The last level (the one after
all of the turrents and long 3-d building on the surface with tanks on the
sides) is the level with the crabs coming out of the wormy surface, and the
giant pseudo-alien(s) ground installations with chewing mouths.  This level
you don't even have to kill the opponent at the end, just surviving a certain
time period finishs the level (though I always destroy it).  Lastly, the
final battle is not as hard as it look, but watch out when it strips its
armor and reattacks.  When it has its 'armor' you must shoot the wings first,
but when it attacks you again you can shoot the entire thing.
Also, the game is quite possible on one player mode without a cheat.  I solved
it twice in one game after only playing it a week or so on and off.  Don't use
a mouse to play though, it will ruin your left button and the control
just isn't
good enough. (I've only finished once with the mouse.)  Lastly, a clue
winning...use the red or yellow weapon.  I like red because they are of
equal
power if you get close enough to your enemy, but with red you have a
very
nice spread (just larger than yellow).  On the inner levels, when
fighting the
crabs, towers, and bald badgers (lvl 1), get very close to your enemy,
it
will NOT fire at you.  You can plug it _very_ quickly.  Well, that's
about it.
Any other questions on games...?  (I've done or coded quite a bit.)

Go get em'!
            Joe

lloab@rivm.nl (Arjan Bosse) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Sep27.091151@sardaigne.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
>In article <37744@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
>(Scott K Wood) writes:
>> All,
>>    Anyone out their played Battle Squadron?  It's a damn hard game.  I heard
>> that there was a cheat mode in it, similar to the one in Hybris.  Anyone know
>> know anything about it?  If so, how do you do it?
>
>You don't need a cheat game to finish Battle Squadron. It's an easy game. I've
>finished it many times with one friend. You must stay on the surface for two
>loops, and get the orange weapon to its full power. Then enter the first level
>(The one with the orange eagles), if you've got full weapons, it should be
>very easy to pass this level. Then, enter the third level (The one with the
>big holes), again, with full weapons, it should be easy. For the second level
>(the one with the small green aliens) you need one player with blue weapons in
>order to kill ennemies coming from the bottom of the screen. WIth a little of
>practice, it's possible to finish also this one.
>By the way, use the nova missiles a lot !!!
>YOU CANNOT FINISH THE GAME IN THE ONE PLAYER MODE !!!

[cheats deleted]

This means that YOU can't finish the game in the one player mode!
It is really possible, because i did it, and without losing a life.
Staying alive is essential, since you need a full weapon (the orange or
the red weapon) with a lot of bombs.

It's also possible to destroy the first level without using any bomb.
The green aliens of level 2 are not that hard at all, just stay
consequently at the bottom left side of the screen, and blow everything
away in front of you. The hardest part of level 3 is the 'spaghetti'.
In the spaghetti I usually need some bombs to survive. The last sentinel
is fun too. Take the full red weapon, and fly just below the monster.
It won't hit you, but the opposite is the case!
--

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Diogenes) (10/05/90)

My friend and I have been playing Battle Squadron daily now (Oh - I'm
responding to Ron Bangel) and we've won it several times (actually won twice
in one game!!)  There's definitely a pattern to it - the first enter here
has lots of big flying monsters and ground turrets and it has two boss
monsters - one halfway, and one at the end.  The second has biomorphic
towers that shoot, and big blocky towers that shoot, and one boss monster at
the end - it's the hardest.  The third has snakes that pop out of holes, and
big huge rocky boss monsters all over the place, also lobsters that popout
of spaghetti...  Does that help?

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Diogenes) (10/05/90)

Just for the record - you can finish the game one player - I've done it.
Secondly, I beg to differ about the blue weapon for level two, I reccommend
one player red, the other orange - possibly green and orange - I reccommend
against blue!  Never use blue!  That's just me though...

edc719rbp2@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au (10/11/90)

In article <37744@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:
> All,
>    Anyone out their played Battle Squadron?  It's a damn hard game.  I heard
> that there was a cheat mode in it, similar to the one in Hybris.  Anyone know
> know anything about it?  If so, how do you do it?
>
>                                        Thanx,
> 				       Scott
> 			V092MGP5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
>      		        |      |
> 			--------
> 			   Wish I knew how to change that....
you can press spacebar at the title screen which brings up a cope-com screen
which allows you to set various levels in the game (like enemy bullet speed)
other than that any other cheat spoils the game (infinite lives is very boring)
best way to play is with 2 players (me and a friend finish it on a regular
basis this way, just like silkworm).  the best weapon is the green one as it
develops you get MEGA rapidfire!!!!

Mr Staypuft
         (sorry i don't yet have a signature)

bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) (11/06/90)

Cheat mode:

Notice that whenever you start with a new ship that you're invulnerable
for a few seconds.  At this time the ship fades in and out - or appears
translucent.  While this is happening, type 'CASTOR'.  The screen border
will flash green and you are invulnerable until reboot.

And HEY!  IT WORKS!
--
-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 bgi@SalesTech.COM 841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |