[comp.sys.amiga.games] Ports of Call...

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (11/05/90)

   I was rumaging through my old older software titles yesterday and
came upon "Ports of Call".  I booted it up and started played.  It
must be one of the best games for the Amiga.  Anyway, that's not why
I'm leaving this message.  I have run into a few questions that manual
doesn't seem to address that I hope someone might be able to answer.

   Here they are:

   1)  On the main world map, there are a lot of 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's
and 12's jumping around the map.  What are they?  What do they stand
for, and What do they do?

   2)  One of the emergencies you run into is a guy floating in a life
raft.  Does ANYONE know how you save this guy?  I have tried
everything and would love to know how to do it.

   3)  How do you win the game?  Can you believe the manual doesn't
say anything about this?

   4)  What is status and how does it come into play in the game?

   Help on any or all of these question would be greated appreaciated.
Thanks in advance...

                              Scott
                     BITNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet
                   INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) (11/06/90)

In article <44345@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>   I was rumaging through my old older software titles yesterday and
>came upon "Ports of Call".  I booted it up and started played.  It
>must be one of the best games for the Amiga.  Anyway, that's not why
>I'm leaving this message.  I have run into a few questions that manual
>doesn't seem to address that I hope someone might be able to answer.
>
>   Here they are:
>
>   1)  On the main world map, there are a lot of 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's
>and 12's jumping around the map.  What are they?  What do they stand
>for, and What do they do?

These are storms, when you hit one, the game gives you an option to go
thru or around the storm.

>   2)  One of the emergencies you run into is a guy floating in a life
>raft.  Does ANYONE know how you save this guy?  I have tried
>everything and would love to know how to do it.

I have only had that once or twice. I have not been able to do it. But
you have to stop right next to him.

>   3)  How do you win the game?  Can you believe the manual doesn't
>say anything about this?

the game is designed as a multi-player game, so you win by beating the
other players.

>   4)  What is status and how does it come into play in the game?

Status helps if your worth is the same as another players. Also if you have
a high status you can get loans easier.

>   Help on any or all of these question would be greated appreaciated.
>Thanks in advance...
No problem, it is a fun game I pull it out every once in a while.

>                              Scott

Greg

Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
           Join the War on Slugs! Just Say Escargo!!! - original

ovb10@cs.kun.nl (Patrick Atoon) (11/06/90)

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:

>   1)  On the main world map, there are a lot of 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's
>and 12's jumping around the map.  What are they?  What do they stand
>for, and What do they do?

Dunno.

>   2)  One of the emergencies you run into is a guy floating in a life
>raft.  Does ANYONE know how you save this guy?  I have tried
>everything and would love to know how to do it.

Yes, I actually saved him a couple of times. Touch his raft VERY soft.
I mean VERY soft (no, even more). To do this, you might follow the raft,
i.e. go after it with your backside first, maintaining the same course
and virtually the same speed as the raft. That should do the trick.

>   3)  How do you win the game?  Can you believe the manual doesn't
>say anything about this?

You don't. It keeps on going. At one stage, I got so rich, that I made more
money from buying/selling them BIG ships (RORO/LOLO), then from sailing
around the world. At this stage, the game gets booring. Until then, it's
a great game.

>   4)  What is status and how does it come into play in the game?

I haven't played the game for a long time, so I don't remember what the
status was about, sorry.

>   Help on any or all of these question would be greated appreaciated.
>Thanks in advance...
>
>                              Scott

No sweat,
      Patrick

| Patrick Atoon           |  "READY.                  |
| University of Nijmegen  |   ?OUT OF DATA ERROR."    |
| E-mail: ovb10@cs.kun.nl |                      C=64 |
+-------------------------+---------------------------+

moore@bombe.enet.dec.com (W. Bruce Moore) (11/07/90)

   I agree, Ports of Call is an excellent game!
In article <44345@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott
K Wood) writes:

|>   1)  On the main world map, there are a lot of 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's
|>and 12's jumping around the map.  What are they?  What do they stand
|>for, and What do they do?
   I believe these are "storm intensity" ratings, higher numbers indicate
   stronger winds (gale forces).

|>   2)  One of the emergencies you run into is a guy floating in a life
|>raft.  Does ANYONE know how you save this guy?  I have tried
|>everything and would love to know how to do it.
   You have to maneuver  your ship along side the raft and match its drift
   speed almost exactly.  If you bump him (or he bumps you) too hard, you
   won't get credit for the rescue.  I've done it some times, but it's not
easy.

|>   3)  How do you win the game?  Can you believe the manual doesn't
|>say anything about this?
   The player with the most wealth at the preselected end time wins.  This
   game is best with multiple human players.

   The quickest way to build wealth is by "playing the market", buying
   ships when prices are down and selling at a profit.  Watch daily market
   fluctuations to catch peaks and valleys.  (Hint: The "worth" of a shipowner
   varies with the market value of his ships, while a player holding only
   cash remains virtually constant.  Try using a couple of "dummy" players
   [with and without ships] to act as references so you can see the effect
   of ship values by their respective bar graphs.)

|>   4)  What is status and how does it come into play in the game?
   Haven't played in a while, so I don't remember this one.   Sorry.

--
    W. Bruce Moore
    Moore@bombe.pa.dec.com