[comp.sys.amiga.games] Projectyle is terrific!

robert@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert Reynolds) (10/31/90)

I hope this isn't old news.

wonderful a game it is -- and people looked at you funny.  Well, that's
the way I feel trying to describe Projectyle.  If you like multi-player
arcade games with great balance, good music and sound effects, good
graphics, and more depth than you're likely to explore in a hurry -- buy it.

I saw someone asking for playable Amiga arcade-type games.  Well, I'm no
experienced game reviewer, but I know what I like.  Projectyle (an import
via EA) is an absolutely wonderful multi-player arcade game.  It's been
describes as Rollerball meets Air Hockey -- that's close enough.

It supports the parallel port joystick interface, so it can handle up to
three human players.  Each player (0, 1, 2, or 3 human -- there's always
three players in a game) controls a team (tribe) of eight critters.  You
select the five who get to play in the current game, and assign one to
each of five playing areas.  Each critter has characteristics like Mass,
Speed, Slide (cornering), and such.  Each tribe has different strengths
and weaknesses, as does each critter within the tribe.  If you opt for
extended play (leagues) you can buy up a critter's attributes with points
you collect during game play.

The playing area is divided into five `rooms'.  The central room has four
exits, one to each of the other rooms.  Each of the three players sort of
`owns' a side room in the sense that there's a goal in there that the
other two players are trying to stuff the puck into, and this poor sucker
is trying to keep it out.  Of course, since only the scoring player gets
points, the other two players are trying to prevent each other from
scoring while trying to score themselves.  In the fourth side room,
everybody has a goal.  That's why it's called the `frantic room'.
Trust me -- it's well-named.

You can only see part of the current room at any one time (in other words,
each room is bigger than the display), and the view follows the puck.
There is a small display of the whole room so you can tell where you are
if you're far away from the action.  When the puck leaves a room, joystick
control passes to the critter in the room it then enters.  You move your
players pretty much like you'd think you would, but when you press the
joystick button they accelerate toward the puck.  Don't press too much,
though, because there's this attribute called Stamina ....  You try to
slide your critter into the puck with enough force and direction to get it
into a goal.  Right.

There are three sets (periods, or `halves' as the rules say) of some timed
duration.  I just realized that I've played for hours and have no idea how
long a set is!  I'm too busy playing to bother with details like that!
Maybe a couple of minutes?  There's a nice frenzy-inducing countdown as
each period comes to a close.

Oh, yeah, every once in a while (like most of the time) some little pellet
will appear on the playing surface.  They're marked, so if you have time
to think before running over it you might be able to avoid the bad ones.
There's +/- slide, +/- bounce, make the puck act goofy, make the puck skip
up into the air, make your player accelerate *away* from the puck when you
press the button, and so on.

I can't adequately describe this thing.  OK, let me try this.  I'm a
definite competitive type A personality.  I hate to lose.  I'm also
usually not so good at arcade games.  So, the fact that I'll play this for
literally hours (with two other humans, preferably) even though I usually
don't win and often finish third of three, well, that should tell you something.
--
Robert Reynolds                 inet: robert@hubcap.clemson.edu
CS Dept, Clemson Univ.    	uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!robert

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (11/07/90)

In article <11273@hubcap.clemson.edu>, robert@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert Reynolds) writes:

> wonderful a game it is -- and people looked at you funny.  Well, that's
> the way I feel trying to describe Projectyle.

Well, there are al least two of us that have heard of Projectyle. And I agree,
it is a great game. I would call it more a cross between air hockey and soccer
though but there isn't much difference. It seems to be a good competitive
game, with little in the way of 'strange effects' to figure out, although
there are a few. It is possibly a runnerup as a favorite for me, right behind
Shanghai, which I can't figure out why I like so much.

> Robert Reynolds                 inet: robert@hubcap.clemson.edu

---Mike,

--
 --------       o       A herd of bagels      | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 --------      o o      all the wrong places  | CIS: 73777,360

zobbo@tharr.UUCP (Ian Cottee) (11/08/90)

In article <2691@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>Well, there are al least two of us that have heard of Projectyle. And I agree,
>it is a great game. I would call it more a cross between air hockey and soccer
>though but there isn't much difference. It seems to be a good competitive
>game, with little in the way of 'strange effects' to figure out, although
>there are a few. It is possibly a runnerup as a favorite for me, right behind
>Shanghai, which I can't figure out why I like so much.

Oh come come - surely not! The *BEST* multi player game must be Kick Off II - and
if you don't have it in the states I demand a public enquiry as to why not!
Over here Kick Off II has been topping the charts since its release (Since
about July I think). In my sisters game shop in London she reckons that if
a game sells about 25 copies it has sold well - Kick Off II has sold almost
80 so far!!

In my own house it is played virtually every night until the early hours. It
is also great fun as a one player game. Hang on a second - eek - you Americans
don't play 'soccer' do you?? AAAAAAAGGHHHHHH!!! U don't know what u're missing!

Ian

/ zobbo@tharr.uucp                  | Disclaimer - give me a break   /
/ !ukc!axion!tharr!zobbo            |              I don't even      /
/ axion!tharr!zobbo@uk.ac.ukc       |              believe this junk /
/<-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->  /

robert@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert Reynolds) (11/09/90)

In article <1397@tharr.UUCP>, zobbo@tharr.UUCP (Ian Cottee) writes:
> Oh come come - surely not! The *BEST* multi player game must be Kick Off II - and
> if you don't have it in the states I demand a public enquiry as to why not!

Funny you should mention Kick-Off 2.  I spent 5 months trying to find it
for a friend's birthday, including writing to ANCO's US address only to
find they've gone without leaving a forwarding address.  I finally found
an address in the UK and have written recently.

The best information I have so far is that Kick-Off 2 is not available
in an NTSC version, and won't be.  Period.

Anyhow, I finally gave up finding KO2 for him and ordered Projectyle
based on second-hand information from a review.  I suppose that if KO2
had been available we might never have discovered Projectyle!

> In my own house it is played virtually every night until the early hours. It
> is also great fun as a one player game. Hang on a second - eek - you Americans
> don't play 'soccer' do you?? AAAAAAAGGHHHHHH!!! U don't know what u're missing!

Some of us do enjoy watching and/or playing the game.  Since the World
Cup will be held here in 1994, we hope for an upsurge in US interest.
Too bad ANCO has decided that `football' just won't sell here.