[comp.sys.amiga.games] Turrican -- Where to get it???

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (10/31/90)

   I recently grabbed the demo version of the "Turrican" game off of
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov, and it has got to be one of the best arcade type
games I have yet seen on the Amiga.

   My question is this:  Is the game commercial or is it Shareware?  Can
I get this mailorder or can I send money to the author?  I would love to
have all 13 levels of this game.  I highly recommend grabbing the demo and
trying it out; its well worth the DL time.

   Any clues?

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (11/05/90)

In article <204@coplex.UUCP>, dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:

>    I recently grabbed the demo version of the "Turrican" game off of
> abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov, and it has got to be one of the best arcade type
> games I have yet seen on the Amiga.
>
>    My question is this:  Is the game commercial or is it Shareware?  Can
>    Any clues?

Turrican is definately commercial, by Innerprise.  (I bought mine at
Games & Gadgets, so I imagine you could get it everywhere, now.)

Turrican is an excellent arcade-type game, with a high degree of difficulty.
I do seem to have a couple of problems with it (these may be my own problems,
not the game's).  Sometimes I have trouble jumping; I'm not sure why, but it
has something to do with my desire to run then jump by rotating the joystick.
At least the game won't be finished in a couple of evenings (which I have done
with some games, such as Test Drive), but I may get frustrated first.  Good
thing I archived some hints from earlier discussions, I'll need 'em! :-)

Another arcade game I recently purchased is PaperBoy.  It was massively
discounted, and if it wasn't I would have been disappointed.  I'm not sure
if it's the implementation, or the game design, but after a few "days" (rounds)
of the same street, I get bored.  My guess is that it's the design.  The
graphics and animation are not up to Amiga standards, I don't think, but
a good gameplay can overcome such things.  Unfortunately, the play is
far too simple and repetative (IMnsHO, of course).

After seeing the box for Harpoon for the clones available for months, I really
started to drool.  Well, my wishes have been answered -- Harpoon is out for
Amiga!  I really like wargames, and this one is similar to M1 Tank Platoon in
that it tries to be an accurate simulation first, and allows that to be the
game.  (...as opposed to making an arcade game out of it, although M1 does
have arcade-like sequences in it, where Harpoon does not.... or in trying to
have "balanced" game play, where both sides are "equal".)  I'm doing really
awful so far, but I'll be glad to answer questions if anyone wonders what
it's like.

I know I asked this a long time ago, but has anyone actually played Rick
Davis's World Trophy Soccer?  It's a nice looking game, but I cannot win
at all!  I know it must be me -- is there some "trick" to playing this game?

(Ramble mode ON)

What are some good arcade games for the Amiga?  I really like games from
a few years back, such as Tempest, Joust, Stargate, Food Fight, Mappy's, just
to name a couple to jog people's memory.  Is there a machine out (home game
unit, whatever) that has games like this?  The NES has Galaga, which is a start,
but then I don't want 8 bit technology.  I'd like to see some classic games
which really make use of Amiga.  I've looked at the home game units,
but I haven't been impressed that much.  If someone owns an Amiga and a
Genesis, you might mail if you have any impressions.  (In talking to the
salesman at G&G, the clones are the "best" machine for games; I thought it
was a bit weird, myself, but maybe that's just for game availability?  For
the consoles, he suggested Genesis.  I'm actually toying with the idea of
getting some other machine just for pure arcade games....)

> --
> dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
>                    Copper Electronics, Inc.
>                    Louisville, Ky
> UUCP: !uunet!coplex!dean

Disclaimer: of course, my opinions on the games are just my opinions.
--
Gary Wolfe, SYSOP of the Temporal Vortex BBS                        // Amiga!
..uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop, ..unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu  \X/  Yeah!

buffa@kish.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (11/09/90)

In article <424@tlvx.UUCP>, sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) writes:
> Turrican is an excellent arcade-type game, with a high degree of difficulty.

No ! NO ! NO ! Turrican is not hard at all. Control and playability is easy,
and if you move slowly, a few ennemies appear on the screen at the same time
and you can shoot them very easily. What is hard is to find the exit of some
levels, find all the secret bonuses in order to have powerful weapons. I
managed to finish the game with something like 20 lives left. It's possible to
begin level 2 with 22 lives as extra lives are hidden everywhere in each
level.
It's much more an exploration game than a shoot'em up.

> I do seem to have a couple of problems with it (these may be my own problems,
> not the game's).  Sometimes I have trouble jumping; I'm not sure why, but it
> has something to do with my desire to run then jump by rotating the
joystick.
I never had any problems for jumping. Just move the joystick up or up-left, or
up-right without keeping the fire button pressed. You can fire your weapons,
but if you keep the button pressed, you activate the rotating laser, and when
the rotating laser is on, you can't move if you don't release the fire button.
The control of your character in this game is one of the best I ever seen. You
can even control your jumps while you are in the air (like in Mario Bros)

> At least the game won't be finished in a couple of evenings (which I have done
> with some games, such as Test Drive), but I may get frustrated first.  Good
> thing I archived some hints from earlier discussions, I'll need 'em! :-)

Sure ! The game interest is very high. To finish it it takes about one hour
when you know what to do (and this requieres a lot of evenings), but even once
you finished it, you play again and again to find new secret rooms, new secret
bonuses...

> What are some good arcade games for the Amiga?
Kick-off 2, rick dangerous 1 and 2, silkworm, r-type, battle-squadron, x-out,
datastorm, anarchy, speedball, xenon 2, apprentice, great giana sister, prince
of persia, there are many many many. Buy some old english magazines about
games, and have a look. If you want good shoot'em ups,buy Saint Dragon and
Silkworm IV when they will be out. I Haven't tried them, but they are made by
the guy who wrote silkworm, and silkworm is one of the best shoo'em'up.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65