[comp.sys.amiga.games] Comment on Psygnosis playablilty

gary@idsssd.UUCP (Gary Gealy) (10/17/90)

Comment on Psygnosis playability.  (aracade style games)

Over the last few years I've purchased most of the games published by
Psygnosis.  IMHO they are some of the best games on the market, but
they do seem to be awful hard to win.  The only one that I've completed
is 'Menace' and that took a lot of work.

What's the deal here, why publish games that IMHO are very hard to
almost impossible to beat without cheat modes?  Am I the only one
with this problem or are there others that feel this way?  If so,
speak up, what's YOUR opinion?

				-GMG-
Gary M. Gealy :-)      |                    ... cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!idsssd!gary
System Software Dvlpmt | ... idssup!idsssd!gary  -or- ...ctnews!idsssd!gary
(301) 329-1100 -- x315 | Insight Route Distribution Sys. - Hunt Valley, MD

ataylor@agsm.ucla.edu (Al Taylor) (10/18/90)

From article <780@idsssd.UUCP>, by gary@idsssd.UUCP (Gary Gealy):

> Comment on Psygnosis playability.  (aracade style games)
>
> Over the last few years I've purchased most of the games published by
> Psygnosis.  IMHO they are some of the best games on the market, but
> they do seem to be awful hard to win.  The only one that I've completed
> is 'Menace' and that took a lot of work.
>
> What's the deal here, why publish games that IMHO are very hard to
> almost impossible to beat without cheat modes?  Am I the only one
> with this problem or are there others that feel this way?  If so,
> speak up, what's YOUR opinion?
>

> 				-GMG-
> --
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Gary M. Gealy :-)      |                    ... cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!idsssd!gary
> System Software Dvlpmt | ... idssup!idsssd!gary  -or- ...ctnews!idsssd!gary
> (301) 329-1100 -- x315 | Insight Route Distribution Sys. - Hunt Valley, MD

I agree with you completely. The games look terrific and the ideas are great, but like you said they are a bitch to get anywhere on. I'm not the ultimate game player, but i'm no slouch either. For example Obliterator, the game looks great, but I can't seem to get anywhere on it. This one probably isn't the best example because the interreation with the character on the screen is clumsy, but even on other Psygnosis games where it is strictly joystick action advancing in the game is tough. Glad to see I'm no

t the only one.

By the way what are the cheat modes?

Al The Pal

"some day Racer X" - Speed Racer

odsaOD

buffa@kish.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (10/19/90)

In article <780@idsssd.UUCP>, gary@idsssd.UUCP (Gary Gealy) writes:

> Comment on Psygnosis playability.  (aracade style games)
>
> Over the last few years I've purchased most of the games published by
> Psygnosis.  IMHO they are some of the best games on the market, but
> they do seem to be awful hard to win.  The only one that I've completed
> is 'Menace' and that took a lot of work.
>
> What's the deal here, why publish games that IMHO are very hard to
> almost impossible to beat without cheat modes?  Am I the only one
> with this problem or are there others that feel this way?  If so,
> speak up, what's YOUR opinion?
>

> 				-GMG-

Psygnosis or Psyclapses games (certainly incomplete)

BARBARIANS: old game, but one of the best when it came out. Good playability
	    I finished it without any cheat mode.

OBLITERATOR: very close to BARBARIANS in the concept. One of my friend
	     finished it and loved it. Good game too.

TERRORPODS: Complex simulation and arcade game with very deep interest. I
	    loved this one, but a little too complex. A good game when it
	    came out.

BLOOD MONEY: Excellent playability for the two first levels (I finished them
      without cheat mode. Is there a cheat mode ?). But a terribly
      frustrating game as it's almost impossible to play levels 3 and levels
      4. (I reached level 3 about ten times, but died after two screens).
      Level 3 can be played only after levels 1 and 2 and it takes about 35
      minutes to complete them (and it's also rather difficult). A good game,
      but a bad design because of these !@#$%^% levels 3 and 4.

STRYX: Who played this game ? I don't know it much (saw some demos)

MATRIX MARAUDER: One of my friend told me it was a good game, but very hard to
       master the controls (you control your ship with the mouse AND the
       joystick AND the keyboard)

ANARCHY: Very playable, very fast, very good defender clone. I love this one.
	 I reached level 7 out of ten, so playability is good.

THE KILLING GAME SHOW: top playability. The game is very addictive too, has
	stunning graphics and very deep interest (a lot of strategy is
	requiered to pass levels)
MENACE: A goo shoot'em up. I finished it. It was one of the best when it came
	out, but now, R-TYPE, BATTLE SQUADRON, SILKWORM, XENON 2, ANARCHY,
	BLOOD MONEY, X-OUT are better.

BALLISTYX: didn't played this one. Any comment ?

SHADOW OF THE BEAST 1: unplayable !
SHADOW OF THE BEAST 2: unplayable ! Very frustrating ! These last two games
       are the origin of the bad Psygnosis reputation. A normal human can not
       terminate SOTB 2 !!!

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

u9041915@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Michael SWERLOWYCZ) (10/22/90)

gary@idsssd.UUCP (Gary Gealy) writes:
>almost impossible to beat without cheat modes?  Am I the only one
>with this problem or are there others that feel this way?  If so,
>speak up, what's YOUR opinion?

 Actually your not the only one with this problem :-)...HOWEVER I find
that the increased level of difficulty makes for more exciting and
nerve racking game play, which might make you throw the computer through
the monitor, Or on the other hand gets you thinking on ways to crack
the game (And when you do finally complete it...Its almost as good as making
love ...{Well not almost ... :-) *chuckle*})...Anyay thats my opinion!!!

Mick.

gary@idsssd.UUCP (Gary Gealy) writes:

>Comment on Psygnosis playability.  (aracade style games)

>What's the deal here, why publish games that IMHO are very hard to
>almost impossible to beat without cheat modes?  Am I the only one
>with this problem or are there others that feel this way?  If so,
>speak up, what's YOUR opinion?

I agree. I think game publishers should do some of the following:

1> Have a trainer mode option built in for those of us who just can't
win any other way.

2> Have a kiddie level (incredibly hard) and an old folks level of
playability choice. Kiddie level would be for those Nintendroids that
want hard challenges,and OF mode would be for those less dexterious
players who enjoy games but aren't that great at them.

[I think having the cheat mode in Shadow of The Beast 2 is a step in the
right direction]

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

vic@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Vic Rattlehead) (11/03/90)

In article <3426@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>I agree. I think game publishers should do some of the following:
>
>1> Have a trainer mode option built in for those of us who just can't
>win any other way.

I don't like the idea of trainers and cheats.  If a game is so
impossibly hard that you can't finish it without cheating, then its
not worth playing at all.  The puzzle solving idea in Beast 2 was cool
but it took 10 hours to restart the game.  It was so freaking hard
that you'd have to restart every 5 minutes.  It was so unforgivable.
If you accidentally miss the little demon that drops the key (was it a
key?) anyway, if you miss it you have to commit suicide and wait
another 10 hours for the game to start again.

Psygnosis is coming out with a lot of good games now like KGS which are
much more playable.  Still hard but very fun to play!

-Vic

vic@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Vic Rattlehead) writes:

>In article <3426@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>>I agree. I think game publishers should do some of the following:
>>
>>1> Have a trainer mode option built in for those of us who just can't
>>win any other way.

>I don't like the idea of trainers and cheats.  If a game is so
>impossibly hard that you can't finish it without cheating, then its
>not worth playing at all.

but the problem is that what is easy for one person is hard for another,
and vice versa. To you a game might be too simple and you'd complain that
it's not worth the money because you finished it in 2 hours (like the
person who posted that Loom was too easy), while I might find it impossibly
hard. Matter of fact, although I like arcade games, I must admit that I
am lousy at them. I frequently find that a game is too hard to get all
the way through without some sort of cheat.

With a cheat mode or trainer, I can at least get somewhere in a
game that I can't win normally. I would rather have a hard game that I can
win by cheating than an impossibly simple game that a 3 year old could solve
in an hour.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

mapjilg@gdr.bath.ac.uk (J I L Gold) (11/15/90)

I've just started playing AWESOME, the latest shoot-em-up from the
writers of the BEAST trilogy (yes, Beast III is on its way...).
It is a VERY playable game. The intro animation of a dogfight between
two spaceships is AMAZING!!!. The program makes use of external
floppy and uses any RAM expansion as a RAM disk, which cuts down on
the (still substantial) disk access. Anyway, start the game, and
there you are, a green spaceship a third the size of the screen!
Move joystick up/down, so does the ship. Move left/right, and space
(and the encroaching nasties) rotate about you...it's very confusing at
first! There are several soundtracks complementing various patrs of
the game. Anyway, you blast your way through the first wave, and then
warp factor 1, cap'n, as the stars become streaks, and off you go to the
next mission, a similar encounter with asteroids. After that, the
landing ship detaches from the main ship, and you fly "into" the screen,
to shoot at a large space monster that rips at a fair old speed towards
and away from you. Then,...even more shooting, this time in an above
view 8-way scrolling shoot-em-up : shoot as many ships as you can to
gain extra time for the last mad dash into the starbase. You get 3
tries at that once you've landed, a man (woman? person?) runs at the
whim of your joystick shooting yet more baddies and avoiding traps
(or not, as the case may be!). Finally, into the base, sell your cargo,
accept a contract mission, buy some weapons, stay in a hotel...off
to your next destination, with a bewildering selection of aliens to
dispatch...phew.
 The object of the game is to escape from the solar system before some
real baddies blow it to f**k with a mega-weapon. To do this you need
fuel, which is (surprise, surprise) rarer than pregnancies in
eunuch land. In fact, to get fuel, you MUST take on a contract, and
balance your hotel bill, the distance to the destination planet (and
hence the fuel needed to get there), the money spent on weapons
etc etc, so there is a fair amount of tactical juggling to do, as
well as joystick-wiggling.
 AWESOME comes on three copy-protected, drive-grinding disks, and I
highly recommend it as THE shoot-em-up for Ami. A final note...
the game runs fine on my A500+A501+A590+1/2 Meg+external floppy,
but on my friend's A500+1/2 Meg expansion (not A501)+ external
floppy, the game crashes just after the landing craft detatches from
the main ship. Weird....

Ratings:(/10)
Graphics: 10
Sound   :  9
Gameplay:  8
Overall :  9

--
#  J.Gold                            |    mapjilg@uk.ac.bath.gdr               #
#  University of Bath , UK           |    jilg@uk.ac.bath.maths                #

michael@moby.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) (11/15/90)

Well, here's a different opinion of Awesome.

First, I want to congradulate Reflections. They're the people who
wrote the game. And I'd like to ***KILL*** Psygnosis for ruining it.

Tech points:
Awesome is large. So large that Reflections knew that it would make
sense to use the ram disk on the machine to cache files to reduce
disk loads. And I'm sure it does work on their version (without
the copy protection, runnable from dos). But Psygnosis put it
on their own dos, with their own boot block. So AmigaDos never
gets started. So RAM: is *NEVER LOADED* from dos. So there is no
RAM: disk for the program to use. ***ARRGH***.

Reflections: Keep up the good work, but please, CHANGE distribution
companies.

The game:
The game is supposed to be a semi-realistic model of you and your
ship after your crew convinced you (at gun point) that they needed
a vacation/time off after a bad trade run. So far, so good. But...

Its not semi-realistic. It has no realism in it. It is a game,
pure and simple. This is not in itself bad, but if the goal was
a simulation, than a little more work would have really made the
difference.

Consider this:
  Your ship has an energy supply which can be put into either the
shields or the weapon. But you have to make that decision before you
find out what caused you to drop out of hyperspace. And you can't move
it (if, for example, your shields are getting low).

  Manuvering in space should turn you around your center of mass
(center of ship). Instead it turns around your nose, so you swing
very wide. Thats physics.

  In space, you have to fight things, manuver, etc. But your computer
will wisk control away from you and re-engage hyperspace drives the
instant it thinks the area is clear. Never mind that you're chasing
an energy disk that the last guy disintegrated into. Never mind that
you're going after a fuel capsule and there are 5 more fuel cargo
pods just off screen. And never mind that you CAN'T fly away from things
normally, but if you intercept a fuel convoy you can easily lose a
stationary fuel pod.

  You are going to a system that does a fair amount of space business.
You get fuel by running interplanetary deliveries. Every plannet sells
space ship weapons. And **NO ONE** repairs space ships. None. Ok, at
least the first two plannets do not (haven't made it to the door of the
third one yet).

  And how welcome are you to do these deliveries? Not very. Everyone
on the surface of the plannet is out to get you. You`ve got to watch
your oxygen supply (after all, you can't breath the air out there, but
there are lots of creatures on the surface, lots of local ships flying
through the atmosphere which you have to (have, not can) shoot, etc).
And you get more oxygen by blasting ships to smithereens.

  But the instant you make it to the entrace (which is unlocked),
everyone is happy with you. No assasins to finish the job. And all
the guards are instantly replaced (of course).

  Finally, the fuel. A Fuel shortage is the heart of the game. Its
what keeps you going. I can almost believe that your crew would force
you to go to a system when there was just barely enough fuel to make it
there. But you don't get enough fuel in any mission to go more than
one or two plannets out at a time, yet you somehow must gain
enough fuel to make it to another solar system light years away. Right.

As a game, I found it to be fun and enjoyable. As a simulation I
found it pathetic (there is no real economics as you can't resell
anything you buy). And as an example of psygnosis's distribution,
I wasn't suprised at all.