[comp.sys.amiga.games] football

dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (11/13/90)

Does anyone have (or have seen) "Pro Football Simulation"  I'd never
heard of it, but ran across it in a current BriWall ad.

Does anyone know if there is a way to install GridIron on harddisk?

--
-Dale Larson  (dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu)

rios@cbnewsd.att.com (Michael "Huh?" Rios) (11/13/90)

In article <10992@milton.u.washington.edu>, dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
> Does anyone have (or have seen) "Pro Football Simulation"  I'd never
> heard of it, but ran across it in a current BriWall ad.
> --
> -Dale Larson  (dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu)

I bought _Professional_Football_Simulation_ (MicroSearch, Inc.) back in
January of this year, and I've had great fun with it.  The program itself
has a tendency to lock up and play erratically, though...not very
nice for the Amiga owner.  When it does run, the gameplay is incredible.
You can specify offense and defense down to the man, and weather
conditions do play a role in a game in an outdoor stadium.  Write back
for more info.

--
Mike Rios		AT&T Secret Police		att!ihlpb!mrios

I've BEEN to Bettendorf.  I'd go gunning for McPike too.

crichard@eecs.wsu.edu (richardson craig s - CS500) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov13.053257.7204@cbnewsd.att.com> rios@cbnewsd.att.com (Michael "Huh?" Rios) writes:
>In article <10992@milton.u.washington.edu>, dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>> Does anyone have (or have seen) "Pro Football Simulation"  I'd never
>> heard of it, but ran across it in a current BriWall ad.
>> --
>> -Dale Larson  (dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu)
>
>I bought _Professional_Football_Simulation_ (MicroSearch, Inc.) back in
>January of this year, and I've had great fun with it.  The program itself
>has a tendency to lock up and play erratically, though...not very
>nice for the Amiga owner.  When it does run, the gameplay is incredible.
>You can specify offense and defense down to the man, and weather
>conditions do play a role in a game in an outdoor stadium.  Write back
>for more info.

I bought PFS directly from MicroSearch about a month after it came out, when it
developed that none of the local (Seattle area) dealers I visited had ever
heard of it...  I called them up at 5:30 (Austin? TX time), and the *President
of the Company* answered the phone, answered all my questions very politely,
and *took an order*.  Needless to say, I was very impressed with the way they
do business...

And when I got the game, I saw nothing to change my mind.  I had spent a lot of
time with _Head_Coach_, their previous football game (PFS is essentially
HC 2.0), and PFS was even more excellent.

PFS comes with a set of predesigned teams and playbooks, which you can use to
play and learn the system, plus you have the ability to design both your own
teams (11 ratings per player) and playbooks (assignments for every player -
zone/man/mixed coverages, blitzes, "shooting the gaps" plus you can place any
player anywhere on the field (on defense), not just in a standard 4-3 or 3-4).
on offense, you have complete control over blocking, running to any hole, and
a completely arbitrary passing tree (you can design pass routes "on the fly").

I haven't played it too much, since I left my manual at home and can't access
the program due to copy protection, but I understand that it's not very
forgiving about disk changes (like Earl Weaver Baseball, it'll guru if the
wrong disk is in the drive).  Also, at least one of the bugs in Head Coach
wasn't nailed down, and will cause a crash during play (I don't remember
exactly what, though :( ).

In short, I think it's definitely the best football game around for the Amiga,
but I'm reserving final judgement until the time (possibly never) when some of
the other football games (John Madden, etc.) are ported over...

Any _Head_Coach_ or _Pro_Football_Simulator_ coaches who lasted this far:
	Do you have any Team/Playbook/Game Plan files you'd like to trade?
the computer opponent with the standard ones tends to get pretty boring...

Disclaimer: I have no connection with MicroSearch except that I spend entirely
too much time playing their football games...

>Mike Rios		AT&T Secret Police		att!ihlpb!mrios

--Craig Richardson

--
*****   If Indiana Jones were a Computer Science professor...   *****
"He speaks twelve programming languages.  He knows _all_ the local

stelmack@mercury.csee.usf.EDU (Gregory M. Stelmack) (11/16/90)

Sounds like a great idea for spreading around game plans and such, but it would
kind of go hand-in-hand with the team, so it would be a must to send around the
teams with the game plans. But, if this is a serious project, I may have to get
back into this game...Lack of opponents (and the GURU bug) kept me away
from it.
Also, there seemed to be an awful lot of fumbles and interceptions, and
far too
many plays in a game (lots of times the clock didn't run between plays
when it
should have...)

Good stuff: Play design is AWESOME (beats Gridiron hands down), Good
graphics,
detailed teams (anyone have any NFL leagues to pass around?), and
playable.

Anyway, the game is lots of fun ...

Off to dig it up again,

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!
-- IRAQNOPHOBIA: Nothing a little RAID wouldn't cure!