[comp.sys.amiga.games] IBM clones are nice...

kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Frank [Who me?] Kuan) (11/10/90)

The only redeeming quality of IBM clones are that they're so
inexpensive. You can get a 386 (25 mhz), 40meg hd drive, super
vga card and monitor for about 2400$. Compare that with
the 3600$ that it costs to get an A3000 similarly equipped
through the educational discount (Plus TAX because I'm in
Ca.)

I can't for the life of me figure out why IBM continues to
do so well. In the current market, where you can get a 386 25mhz
clone for so cheap, IBM astounds the world by coming out with
the PS/1, which uses the 386's crippled sibling,
the 16bit 386sx. Is it my imagination or are we going BACKWARDS
in technology? Surprisingly, the 386sx performs quite well,
since almost all IBM lameware is 8088 code. But IBM makes up
for their stupidity by introducing something revolutionary in
the PS/1 line. It has a volume control knob (so you can control
the volume of the farting noises). I kid you not.

IBM marketing: I saw a commerical the other day for the PS/1 on
television. Now, the PS/1 is targeted for the home market. The
commercial is dry and boring. So boring in fact, I can't remember
what it was about. On the other hand, IBM licensed Hagar (the
cartoon strip) on their new Risc workstations (which are priced
in the 30,000$ range) for their advertisement campaign in
magazines. I'm not even going to try to figure this one out.

IBM and Intel: They were meant for each other. It's just too bad
that they own the market.

The masses are asses: It's not surprising that IBM's are more
common than cockroaches. I can't even convince people in Engineering
and Computer Science that the Amiga is a technically superior
machine. If people who are supposed to understand computers
blindly follow the evil forces of IBM, is there any hope for
the common man?

What can you say about a country that goes to war over oil,
elects a ruthless former CIA head and a dufus into the two
highest offices in the nation, cuts educational spending to
maintin the military budget and subsidize the tobacco industry,
award the Communist Pigs in China with "favored status" after
the Tiennamen Square Massacre, a teenage population that
idolizes New Kids on the Block, and as a collective country
acknowledges the IBM PS/2 (Piece of ...) running OS/2 (half
an operating system) as the supreme PC?

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (11/10/90)

In article <9254@aggie.ucdavis.edu> kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu
(Frank Kuan) writes:
>            [deletions] IBM astounds the world by coming out with
>the PS/1, which uses the 386's crippled sibling,
>the 16bit 386sx. Is it my imagination or are we going BACKWARDS
>in technology? Surprisingly, the 386sx performs quite well,
>since almost all IBM lameware is 8088 code.

Wrong, sorry.  The PS/1 has a state-of-the art 286 microprocessor
flying along at a blazing speed of 10 MHz.  Now don't flame IBM
again until you can give them credit where credit is due.

SS

In <9254@aggie.ucdavis.edu>, kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Frank [Who me?] Kuan) writes:

>It's not surprising that IBM's are more common than cockroaches.
> I can't even convince people in Engineering
>and Computer Science that the Amiga is a technically superior
>machine. If people who are supposed to understand computers
>blindly follow the evil forces of IBM, is there any hope for
>the common man?

Thanks Frank... I was in need af a new .signature. :-)

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

v092mgp5@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov10.050839.21865@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes...
>In article <9254@aggie.ucdavis.edu> kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu
>(Frank Kuan) writes:

>Wrong, sorry.  The PS/1 has a state-of-the art 286 microprocessor
>flying along at a blazing speed of 10 MHz.  Now don't flame IBM
>again until you can give them credit where credit is due.

     I can't tell if this was meant to be sarcastic, but if not:

     Since when is the 286 STATE OF THE ART!!  10mHZ blazing?  I think
not.  IBM deserves NO credit for a 286 machine...

                                  Scott

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) (11/16/90)

In article <9254@aggie.ucdavis.edu> kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Frank [Who me?] Kuan) writes:
>What can you say about a country that goes to war over oil,
>elects a ruthless former CIA head and a dufus into the two
>highest offices in the nation, cuts educational spending to

Gee, I didn't know Dan Quayle was once the head of the CIA.

(And I'm a staunch Republican  :-)

Agitator
  #->

--
   "Caltech -- A Division of     rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu  //  InterNet
       Harvey Mudd"              rolee@hmcvax.bitnet         //   BITNET

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (11/16/90)

In article <9640@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) writes:
>In article <9254@aggie.ucdavis.edu> kuan@iris.ucdavis.edu (Frank [Who me?] Kuan) writes:
>>What can you say about a country that goes to war over oil,
>>elects a ruthless former CIA head and a dufus into the two
>>highest offices in the nation, cuts educational spending to
>
>Gee, I didn't know Dan Quayle was once the head of the CIA.
>
>(And I'm a staunch Republican  :-)
>
>Agitator
>  #->
>
>--
>   "Caltech -- A Division of     rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu  //  InterNet
>       Harvey Mudd"              rolee@hmcvax.bitnet         //   BITNET
>   -------------- R E M E M B E R   B E I J I N G -------\\-//-------------
>   Roderick Lee    "The Professional Agitator"    Harvey  \X/  Mudd College

Gee, what has this got to do with games? Not to mention the fact
that Mr Kuan apparently gets his CNN ahead of the rest of us. I
wasn't aware we were in a war for oil. In fact I'm not even aware
of there being a war for oil at the moment. As to what one can
say about a countru that elects its leaders, well, look it up in
the dictionary. I think the appropriate term is representative
democracy.

 OR

--
Support the "Vote for None of The Above" resolutions.

"The bomb squad X-rayed the radio and determined it was only a
radio" -San Diego Union.