[comp.sys.amiga.games] A10 speakers

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (10/31/90)

	Does anyone know if the A10 C= speakers are worth it?

--
---------------------------------//-------------------------------------
Doug Dyer  Clemson University   //      "Splunge!"  -  MP

mhenders@draco.unm.edu (Stinger) (11/01/90)

	The A10 speakers are a pathetic attempt at an accessory. Go get some
self powered Bose speakers. The Tandy self amped speakers work nicely as
well. The A10's that I saw on display (and heard) were nothing more than a
self amplified instrumental woofer which produce lots of shrilled highs and
a nice muddy mid-range w/ NO bass. I would not recommend them at all for
any purpose.

--
(*  ///                   ( demo freak             )                   *)
(*  \\\tinger             { mhenders@hydra.unm.edu }                   *)

ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) (11/03/90)

	I  just received my A-10 speakers a couple of days ago.  They're quite
good.  They've got a treble and a bass boost.  The volume isn't
earth-shattering, but the tonal quality is excellent.  I think they well
worth it.

-Laurence Silverman
Carnegie Mellon University
ls3c@andrew.cmu.edu

ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) writes:

>	I  just received my A-10 speakers a couple of days ago.  They're quite
>good.  They've got a treble and a bass boost.  The volume isn't
>earth-shattering, but the tonal quality is excellent.  I think they well
>worth it.

Can these be the same A10 speakers I saw and heard at my local dealer?
I thought they were awful. Low volume, tinny sounding. They sounded like
the speaker in one of those handheld transistor radios (not the walkmans,
the kind that was popular in the 60's.)

Plug your Amiga into a REAL stereo. You will be AMAZED at the difference.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (11/11/90)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>Plug your Amiga into a REAL stereo. You will be AMAZED at the difference.

Well, I got my A3000 (exactly *ONE* week after I mailed my order!) and
with it I got the A10 speakers ($29) so my stereo wouldn't be taken up.
For that reason, these things are well made and sound good. They are also
more portable than my stereo when I need to take the computer somewhere.
However, NOTHING beats blasting the amiga through my STEREO!

all I have is DEMO REEL 3, what's good for sounds (pd)?

>--
>John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
>sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
>A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

Your humble ex-ibm-cloner who has seen the light,
--
---------------------------------//-------------------------------------

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/16/90)

In article <3638@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) writes:
>

>>	I  just received my A-10 speakers a couple of days ago.  They're quite
>>good.  They've got a treble and a bass boost.  The volume isn't
>>earth-shattering, but the tonal quality is excellent.  I think they well
>>worth it.
>
>Can these be the same A10 speakers I saw and heard at my local dealer?
>I thought they were awful. Low volume, tinny sounding. They sounded like
>the speaker in one of those handheld transistor radios (not the walkmans,
>the kind that was popular in the 60's.)

There is a big button on the front these buggers.  If you don't push
the button in, you get exactly the sound you just described.  If you
do push it in, you get surprisingly good sound out of such a little
box (this is the bass boost).  The treble boost on the back helps,
too.

>Plug your Amiga into a REAL stereo. You will be AMAZED at the difference.

My former roommate has a monster stereo, with great big woofers.  I had
the Amiga hooked up to that and was playing Alien Syndrome (thus this
post doesn't need to go into .hardware).  I don't know how many of you
have played this one, but there is a heavy base line in the music.
Not too interesting, mind you.  It just goes "Womp. Womp. Womp. Womp.
Womp.", etc. and so on ad infinitum.  Anyway, I guess I had the volume
turned up a little too high, because the apartment manager came over
and chewed me out for the noise.  That bass really carries, and she
was in the next apartment!

In other words, maybe plugging your Amiga into the stereo isn't such a
good idea, after all.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.