[comp.sys.amiga.games] PC vs Amiga

tjantune@niksula.hut.fi (Timo Jantunen) (11/20/90)

This discussion about PC vs Amiga has gone past that point in should be
continued. I have said what I wanted, and I believe it is enough. Some
of the last replies have been at the level 'my machine is best, it CAN'T
lose', that means all means are permitted against PC (that means they
compare PC to the newest A3000, or say that in THEORY solid vector
graphics is faster on 68000 Amiga (I can do the comparation in PRACTICE,
it isn't)).

I admit, that I compared 386 PC to 68000 Amiga, but I think it was right
because 386s are common and all games work with them (except some made
before ATs (1985)). A3000 is a new computer, and it don't have (yet)
much software support, and I would say that not many present games
would run in it (many games don't run even with 68010, because difference
in some commands, differences to 68030 are greater (more incompatible
commands, and greater speed)).

This is present situation, no-one knows the future (but I would bet on
game consoles :-).
--
Timo Jantunen           : Every time  you try to operate one of these weird
Kilonkallio 10 h 82     : black controls  that are  labelled in  black on a

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (11/21/90)

In article <TJANTUNE.90Nov20161038@punisher.hut.fi> tjantune@niksula.hut.fi (Timo Jantunen) writes:
>This discussion about PC vs Amiga has gone past that point in should be
>continued.

   Peace accepted.  Everyone has it's own answer to this debate.  *BUT*

>A3000 is a new computer, and it don't have (yet)
>much software support, and I would say that not many present games
>would run in it (many games don't run even with 68010, because difference
>in some commands, differences to 68030 are greater (more incompatible
>commands, and greater speed)).

   Ouch!

   Software support, hum...  Six months ago we upgraded part of our lab with
four A3000.  We are still using the same software that I bought, some
back in 1987.  Names?  DPaint, DigiView, FutureSound, Manx compiler and
environment, tons of PD software, etc.  ALL of our own programs worked
immediatly on the A3000.

   At two of our dealers, the VAST MAJORITY of software (beside
games) works PERFECTLY on a A3000.  I mean it.  Beside, the relevant
information for 680x0 compatibility was available to ALL developpers
as early as 1988 (amiga mail).  The number of the CPU, has nothing
to do with how incompatible a program will be.  If the program is
designed properly (REALLY not difficult), it will run on ALL 680x0,
including the 68040.

   Now for games: we tested over 50 recent games (like 688 attack sub,
battle of britain, Lucasfilm adventure games (Zak ..., Maniac Mansion),
Cinemaware games (Wings, Krystal), etc. off the shelves from our dealer.
Over 30 titles booted up in 1.3 (some even in 2.02) without any problems.
A part of my decision to buy myself a A3000, was based on the fact that
my old Dungeon Master worked perfectly on it.  To be honest thought, I
think the ratio of working old games (< 1989) is not as good.

   Please, before spreading rumors like that, inform yourself.

>This is present situation, no-one knows the future (but I would bet on
>game consoles :-).

Yup, like CDTV for instance :-).

>Timo Jantunen           : Every time  you try to operate one of these weird

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Commodore, or any of those Game company.  My
	opinions are mine, beside do my University have an opinion?

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\